DVDVR Message Board

When was the last time a WWE card allowed you to be happy?

zev

From the top to the bottom, opener to the main, the show that let you smile when it was all over, and not want to throw or smash things, or vent frustration on the internet. What was it?

• Like 1

The Raw after Survivor Series last year. Helped that I was there with two good friends, we had floor seats facing the hardcam, my seat was free and I was on TV all night wearing my lovely red Ottawa Senators toque so we were easy to spot.

Main roster might have to go back to WM 30, if you omit shows that were great but were under the dark cloud of what would inevitably come next (like Raw two weeks ago with the Braun/Show main). That was probably the last time the future looked really bright and WWE might not screw it up for a while.

NXT had top to bottom great shows for a good year and a half that made me happy to be a fan, though. The last one was fittingly The End, because after the brand split and call-ups, it hasn't been the same either.

54 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Thought you would say the NXT house show. 

I don't think that would have been within the spirit of the thread. I'd always suggest that someone go to a house show instead of a Raw or Smackdown, certainly, but there's really no element of booking to those shows and every house show is supposed to send at least a big chunk of the fanbase happy. There's literally no cost to that, except for in the broad sense of overrunning a babyface beating a heel before a big show (see Vader's complaints about losing to Michaels around the horn before Summerslam 97). 

I could counter that I would have been a lot happier at a NXT show either six months before or six months after and we hit ours as the Revival were out with injury, but in general I did enjoy the show, sure.

I think this thread is much more about booking than about ring action.

Ugh, probably WrestleMania 30 for the main roster? Before then it would have been Money in the Bank 2011.

NXT definitely delivers feel good shows on a more than regular basis, but if I had to name one off the top of my head, it would probably be the first Brooklyn Takeover.

I'm plenty critical of WWE, and I may not watch Wrestlemania at all this year. But, like... I enjoy at least one of Raw/Smackdown/205/NXT every week, pretty much every Takeover, and most of the smaller PPVs. If I hated it that much, I'd stop watching. But I still like most wrestling most of the time, WWE included.

• Like 4

I feel NXT house show is cheating, but if that counted it's definitely the Bel Air house show they had.  Even the "bad" matches were good and there was some sense of enjoyment out of it all.  And seeing Nak live along with singing Glorious?  Yeah, that show can't be beat.

As for TV stuff the Takeover shows generally do the trick.  The first Brooklyn one all had enjoyable matches I cared about, and Bayley-Sasha to boot!  Even though I maintain that should have been the main (rectified in the Ironman match next show) the Finn-Owens match was still highly enjoyable.

13 hours ago, zev said:

From the top to the bottom, opener to the main, the show that let you smile when it was all over, and not want to throw or smash things, or vent frustration on the internet. What was it?

This is hilarious to me, a show that ALLOWED you to be happy, that LET you smile?  Are you saying people are incapable of smiling after an average to good WWE event?  Do you need their permission to be allowed to smile and be happy? Or is there some kind of checklist that I can go down, where I can ensure all my prerequisites have been fulfilled, that will then prompt me to smile?  Are you so emotionally involved with WWE that you get physically angry over an entertainment program if things don't go to your exact specifications? 

And you know half their job is to make people smile, the other half is to get you emotionally worked up and heated, making you more invested in the show.  What was the last WWE show that got you so mad you quit watching forever? (trick question, no one ever does, that just makes you want to watch more)

I understand what you are asking, "What was the last WWE show you totally enjoyed, top-to-bottom?" or "What was the best booked show in your opinion?"

But do you understand the phrasing difference in those questions and your topic's question?  You are arguing from a position of weakness and powerlessness, and not taking any responsibility for your own happiness and enjoyment.  If a show is making you so angry you want to throw and smash things, please stop watching and seek immediate counseling.  But most people are generally happy watching WWE shows, they smile whenever they want, they boo whenever they want, and their happiness isn't contingent on anything the WWE does.  Most people (sans Marks) are not looking for the PERFECT show that books everything exactly as you would fantasy book it, they just want some escapism for a couple hours and the WWE is there to add to their enjoyment and entertainment. 

My answer to your question, every single time I watch a WWE show I am allowed to be happy afterwards.  Try it sometime, you may enjoy the experience.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SolidGoldBomb said:

My answer to your question, every single time I watch a WWE show I am allowed to be happy afterwards.  Try it sometime, you may enjoy the experience.

Did you enjoy taking this topic way too seriously today?

• Like 5

Spring Stampede '94!   Oh...  WWE.  Yeah, I think WM 30 is a good answer but there's been a ton of very good PPVs since then.  WWE's problem isn't putting on good shows.  It's more about them killing the momentum they've built. Every time I start to get excited again they throw it away.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, SolidGoldBomb said:

This is hilarious to me, a show that ALLOWED you to be happy, that LET you smile?  Are you saying people are incapable of smiling after an average to good WWE event?  Do you need their permission to be allowed to smile and be happy? 

While I get what you mean, a really well done wrestling show SHOULD steer your emotions. If the talent works in a way that is supposed to make a big percentage go home happy, most people should be happy. If the show is designed to piss me off, it should be hard for me to shrug it off. It's rarely in a way a lá "My favourite auntie died"-smiling-stop, more in a "what a shitty day at the job"-smiling-stop.

On the second part of WWE's task you mentioned: My biggest gripe with most of nowadays wrestling is that it is often designed in a way that doesn't get me invested. For me, personally, the (lack of) legitimacy in wrestling can't be blamed for this. Everyone I know knew wrestling was predetermined back in 1990 when I was turning 7. It was always about simple, larger than life characters making slightly hoky shit mean a lot.

Today, stuff rarely means anything, characters rarely seem organic and even rarer you will find larger than life characters. And for me personally it is far to easy to shrug events off and go "ah, whatever." It's all a homogenic mass of athletically gifted "superstars" going through motions, pointing at signs and occasionally getting steamrolled by part timers who lost most of their aura 5-10 years ago. 

To answer the topics question, I'll fondly remember Wrestlemania 30 for the culmination of the DB Cinderella-story and the disbelieve I felt when the UT Streak ended. Got invested in quite a few of the matches and moments.

• Like 2

I'm pretty pleased after most SDs and Talking Smack. 

Most WWE PPVs are pretty tremendous, actually. I mean, if you hate The Big Dog, The Architect, The Lunatic Fringe and the oddly not nicknamed Keven Owens you may have had a shitty few years but that's on you.*

*disclaimer that I'm fully aware that the Reigns push has been awful but his PPV matches are generally good. Also, kind of amazing that the singles booking of The Shield is probably one of the biggest detriments in the company since their breakup. How the fuck did you ruin those guys? And I really like Rollins, but pretty sure he's shot. 

I'm more curious the last time a main event booking decision genuinely pissed people off. I mean, getting pissy about the midcard really doesn't matter much because it's all 50/50 and doesn't really matter much long-term but as far as main events....oh, SummerSlam last year...the booking of Lesnar vs Orton pissed me off and basically turned me off Lesnar. 

I really liked the Raw in Philly when Reigns beat Sheamus with Vince for the title. It's a shame they never recaptured that with Reigns. He has good matches but no character, no interesting story. Hard to really get into any of the shows when you know the momentum will be lost.

Thanks to all of you that took the time to answer. WM30's a good shout out. I was legit surprised by Lesnar beating Taker, and rather happy that I was surprised while watching that card.

Reckon I should answer my own question. Let's consider the possibility of proverbial rose colored glasses of course, and go with Backlash 2016.

Becky's title win.

Maryse going old school super helpful valet by using a spray bottle of doom to help Miz get the victory.

Orton was supposed to have a match but then didn't.

They actually did something with "Mr. Irrelevant" Heath Slater.

And Ambrose lost his title to AJ.

• Like 1