DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2017 TELEVISION DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Courtney Love is starring in a Lifetime movie about the Menendez brothers. I don't know who she's playing, but it can't be nearly as good as me imagining her playing both brothers.

I also can't hear about the Menendez brothers without immediately thinking of The Cable Guy.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, J.T. said:

The Expanse is off to a roaring start.  I am all in, again.

Both THE EXPANSE and THE MAGICIANS got pretty solid marks from critics heading into their 2nd seasons.

I'd never watched either but I did a drive-by on the Magicians last night and was pretty entertained throughout, despite not having a clue who anyone was or what was going on.  Then I stuck around for the Expanse but found the plot a little too dense for me to get into it cold turkey.  Thomas Jane's hairdo was worth the watch, though.

4 hours ago, EVA said:

Then I stuck around for the Expanse but found the plot a little too dense for me to get into it cold turkey.  Thomas Jane's hairdo was worth the watch, though.

The first season of The Expanse was really busy.  Lots of political intrigue and moving parts.

I'd recommend binge watching Season One before moving forward.  Even I had to rewatch a couple of episodes before the season opener because the lay off in between Season One and Two was a long time.

I am glad I watched the last four episodes over the last few days because the season premier did not slow pitch anything.  I didn't realize how much of the finer details I had gradually forgotten.

There is a replay of the premier (which is actually Episodes 1 and 2) Saturday at Midnight and the episodes (along with the entire first season of The Expanse) are also available on Syfy On Demand.

You can see the slight divergence from the novels for the sake of television.  Sgt. Bobbie Draper is still a complete badass, but she is a lot younger and cuter on television than she is described in the novels.

What does everyone think of Taboo so far? I don't know what to make of it quite yet. It's definitely not boring. Also, to paraphrase a quote from Rage by Stephen King, "Tom Hardy is a  cracker jack grunter. If there was a national grunting bee, I'd put all my money on Tom Hardy."

I ordered The Temptations DVD($4.99 on Amazon) after watching the New Edition movie.  If I ever write a movie it is going to be a "21 Jump Street" style buddy cop movie with Bobby Brown and David Ruffin infiltrating a American Idol style competition show for R&B groups.

• Like 2

On 2/3/2017 at 8:58 AM, John Austin said:

Poor Buttons. Dog does everything he can to keep Mindy safe, yet always gets in trouble with the parents. But at least at the end of the day Mindy always loves him.

Still better than Rita and Runt.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, supremebve said:

I ordered The Temptations DVD($4.99 on Amazon) after watching the New Edition movie.  If I ever write a movie it is going to be a "21 Jump Street" style buddy cop movie with Bobby Brown and David Ruffin infiltrating a American Idol style competition show for R&B groups.

I would see this in theaters, buy it on DVD and add it on EVERY streaming service I have!

James

I used to watch a British sitcom about two people who live in a retirement home. The man is the stereotypical lovable old buffoon and the woman is an irritable cynic. I had long since forgotten the name of the show, and eventually I forgot the show itself too. I used to watch it with my late father when they aired it on a local television channel late at night for a short while. It was brilliant, and it was made even better because those times were some of the few good moments I remember having with my father that late in his life.

Now, by complete accident, I found it again. It's called Waiting for God. I immediately ordered the DVD's, but YouTube seems to have a lot of the episodes as well, so I watched three in a row. It's still as fantastic as I remember it to be, and the missus liked it a lot too. I am so incredibly happy with this discovery. Here's to you, Dad!

• Like 1

On 2/5/2017 at 4:13 AM, J.T. said:

Big debuts for Fox network this week.,

24: Legacy debuts after SBLI and APB debuts on Monday night.

I was probably a bit too gleeful having some form of 24 back in my life last night, especially considering most of the last few iterations were not good.

I wrote this on Facebook last night:

Sometimes familiarity is welcome, even if it is playing into its worst cliches.

The thing that cracked me up about last night's 24 was I read an article about the reboot last week and the producer was like, "Yes, this one exists in the previous continuity but we have to stand on our own and are not just going to reference the prior version for cheap pops" - 15 minutes in newbie analyst is all, "I learned from my uncle, EDGAR STYLES."

On 2/4/2017 at 0:53 PM, cwoy2j said:

What does everyone think of Taboo so far? I don't know what to make of it quite yet. It's definitely not boring. Also, to paraphrase a quote from Rage by Stephen King, "Tom Hardy is a  cracker jack grunter. If there was a national grunting bee, I'd put all my money on Tom Hardy."

I don't know what to make of it either. It has some attributes of a good show, but I can see some validation in the criticism I saw in a few reviews I read. For a very talented cast, it's asking Tom Hardy to do a whole hell of a lot and Delaney ain't exactly the most endearing (or original) character. I think they just decided to go to the max with the grisly parts and go as minimum as possible with the character development, plot, and pacing. I am going to continue watching (I started to make sense of Westworld like halfway through the season so there is hope), but it ain't exactly my favorite FX "limited" series.

On 2/4/2017 at 5:10 PM, supremebve said:

Just finished the New Edition Story, and boy I wanted to shed some tears at the end. This felt like a genuine effort at a biopic/miniseries and all the cards were on the table. Unlike the Temptations one for example, which as I said made Otis look like the level headed one throughout, everyone came off having their good and bad moments. Bobby got some of the Ruffin treatment, but I don't think it was done unfairly. They didn't have some bizarre, fabricated scene with Bobby like they had with David's lifeless OD'd body getting thrown out of a limo.

Some notes and observations:

- Faizon Love as Maurice Starr and a reserved character at that is just tremendous casting. The hairpiece was bit much, but I'll take that.

- Goddamn, Carmelo is a lucky man. No way there was a mom looking like Lala just in the Orchard Park projects with that face and body. They wouldn't need any manager to get those mothers out of the projects because some dude would cape up and get her out at least.

- Was anyone expecting Ace Boo...I mean Avo.....I mean Brooke to have one of the kids to move some keys for him? Faizon is always typecasted, but no way is Wood Harris going to escape typecasting. He can't ever escape that demeanor that makes him seem like a natural born hustler.

- I regularly listen to someone who has a podcast and has been close friends with Ricky Bell for years, but never knew he was on drugs especially that strung out. That's what makes this a good miniseries because the viewer would naturally want to see Bobby get coked out of his mind and do wild shit. However, they gave you some of that but also gave you the problems and shortcomings everyone else was dealing with. For example, poor Ralph being the lead, being a one hit wonder as a solo artist, and having to live with the decision of not being selfish as a kid which in turn led him to ultimately being left behind after Heartbreak.

- Johnny Gill is like a R&B cockroach (kinda like Clapton going from the Yardbirds, Cream, Bonnie & Delaney, Derek & the Dominoes, Blind Faith, and then becoming a solo artist all within 8 or 9 years). By the time he was in LSG, it felt like Gill had been around FOR-EVER. Also, I'm not too shocked Stacy Lattisaw's folks being pissed at her brief mention in this film. There had already been rumors of the light skinned, dark skinned stuff before regarding them, but that did not help. For a miniseries on BET no less, the colorism stuff is some deep shit that I had no idea they were going to get into even for like a minute.

- Tank was really, really good as Jheryl Busby. Rapaport kinda irritated me, but it's Michael Rapaport so I mean what can you do?

- We gotta get Monica Calhoun more work. She's a damn good actress, but all I ever see her in is made-for-TV films and direct-to-video stuff. How the hell did LisaRaye manage to have a somewhat half decent career after The Player's Club, but Monica Calhoun can't get any good gigs besides this one?

• Like 2

So, I binged watch the last two episodes of How To Get Away With Murder with my woman this afternoon.  Watching everyone unravel at the seams is pretty fun.

I still can't believe that Wes is dead.

Vikings has done a really good job of keeping me engaged even after

Spoiler

killing off Ragnar.

I think the show could've gotten boring and aimless after that but I'm still intrigued by Ivar and want to know how they'll tie the whole thing up.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Where will I get my Cops re-runs?  It is funny that TNA outlasted Spike TV.