DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2017 TELEVISION DISCUSSION

RIPPA

2 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

I already know the twist. I read a spoiler when I didn't think I'd watch it. Actually, that's part of what got me interested . So knowing that is actually fun, as I'm seeing the subtle things that hint at it.

Its kind of amusing in that even before knowing the twist you kind of notice some of the hints, but generally think little of them due to how other parts are playing out.

On 14/02/2017 at 4:48 PM, Technico Support said:

Is anybody watching this season of Homeland?  It's definitely slower and more, maybe....cerebral?  It's very good, though, and so far it's featured some harsh commentary on:

• America's treatment of veterans
  • America's treatment on anyone even remotely suspected of being a "terrorist"
  • Israel's behavior
  • President elect vs the intelligence community

But it just took an insane turn and is going to get more bonkers judging from the preview for next week's episode.

Really enjoying it so far. Next episode looks like its gonna turn everything on its head.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Eivion said:

Its kind of amusing in that even before knowing the twist you kind of notice some of the hints, but generally think little of them due to how other parts are playing out.

Oh and I was wrong about it not being laugh out loud funny. The back half of the season had me loudly laughing my ass off.

• Like 1

The shit has hit the proverbial fan in The Expanse.

I am sure the feelings of the members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints swung from outrage to elation over the course of the last two episodes.

I get annoyed every time JT talks about the Expanse because I can't get it past the line for us.

Right now we are watching:

Magicians
Suits
This is Us
Blacklist
How To Get Away With Murder
Flash
Arrow
Legends
Emerald City
Gotham

And we need to catch up on Man In the High Castle and start on Legion and the Tom Hardy Show(whatever that is). And we'll have Orphan Black, Killjoys, Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Iron Fist, Leftovers (whenever that happens) upcoming.

We have to hit Westworld at some point too.

The kid is watching Babylon 5 starting with season 1 (he's maybe 10 episodes in over a span of a week). 

To be fair there's no time, but my wife just really didn't like the Expanse pilot so there's just no chance of that right now.

29 minutes ago, Matt D said:

To be fair there's no time, but my wife just really didn't like the Expanse pilot so there's just no chance of that right now.

The first season is a really hard watch because there are so many moving parts.  Season 2 cuts right to the chase, but I have the benefit of knowing who the major players are and what their motivations are.

As for Show I Am Not Allowed To Watch Without My Bae, our DVR folders consist of:

• Suits
  • Riverdale
  • How To Get Away With Murder
  • Scandal
  • Blacklist
  • Blindside
  • 24: Legacy
  • ABFF Independent (I love short form and support black filmmakers the best way I can).

I was able to dodge the This Is Us bullet and I am not into the Chicago pantheon.  Conversely, she is not into anything superhero or sci-fi related so I have to keep up with Arrow, Gotham, Orphan Black, and The Expanse on my own.

She only watches Killjoys with me because she knows that I have a television crush on Hannah John-Kamen and she dares me to make goo-goo eyes at the television during Doyle centric episodes..

At the end of the day it means that I give a little and she gives a little, but I'm happy with the overlap we have. She's more into Killjoys. I'm more into Dark Matter. The fact that we're both into both, however, is a good thing for the marriage. 

3 minutes ago, Matt D said:

At the end of the day it means that I give a little and she gives a little, but I'm happy with the overlap we have. She's more into Killjoys. I'm more into Dark Matter. The fact that we're both into both, however, is a good thing for the marriage. 

There isn't a lot of overlap with us, but my OCD works to the benefit of our relationship.  Once I get interested in a plot line, I go down the rabbit hole and follow wherever it goes.  The episodic nature of the shows my boo likes to watch tend to hook me in, especially if there is a mystery afoot.

So yeah, that is how our together time works.

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

The shit has hit the proverbial fan in The Expanse.

I am sure the feelings of the members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints swung from outrage to elation over the course of the last two episodes.

As someone who hasn't read the books the end of the episode was a wonderful moment for me. The first season was fine, but so much of it was build up so its nice to see things really happening this season.

It was hilarious watching the protomolecule make a "face" turn when:

Spoiler

It foils Miller's plan to use a gigantic church to push Eros Station into the Sun

And poor Holden.  He finally learns just how hard it is to be in command.

• Like 1

The transcript on the Daily Beast that I came upon via Facebook was good enough for me. I don't need to see Maher's irritating face and voice any more than I need to see Immortan Joe's. His pandering and attitude lost me long ago. 

On the other hand, Comedy Central needs to say fuck the ratings and restart The Nightly Show ASAP

2 hours ago, Raziel403 said:

Man, all it took was Milo to get people on board that Maher has fucking sucked for years?

I still tolerate him because he's occasionally inclined to give liberals the ass-chew they deserve for being ineffectual. 

But yeah, he does pretty much suck these days. 

I've really enjoyed Taboo, moreso than any week-to-week show I've watched in a while. Looking forward to the finale next week, I reckon Season 2 will have to be set in America?

As a (very) lapsed 24 fan (loved Season 1 and 2, gave up at 3, got drawn back in at 5, gave up at 6, got drawn in at 7 then gave up for good) would you recommend Legacy?

Turner Entertainment’s chief creative officer, Kevin Reilly, said on Thursday that Mr. O’Brien’s nightly talk show, “Conan,” which he has hosted on TBS since 2010, would most likely undergo changes at some point in the future. He said no decision had been reached on how frequently the TBS show would run but he stressed that Mr. O’Brien would be an active part of any conversation about changes.

“Whether it’s a one-hour talk show five a nights week, or a half-hour five nights a week, or a one-hour once a week, I honestly don’t know,” Mr. Reilly said in an interview. “But it’s all on the table, and so, yes, things are going to change.”

Mr. Reilly insisted that the network would be “in business with Mr. O’Brien for a long time,” and that this would include a talk show. He also said that the late-night star was under contract until 2018 and that “Conan” would probably be renewed. He said Mr. O’Brien’s compensation would not change even if his show or its schedule did.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/05/business/media/conan-obrien-late-night-changes.html?WT.mc_id=2016-KWP-AUD_DEV&WT.mc_ev=click&ad-keywords=AUDDEVREMARK&kwp_0=308367&kwp_4=1194392&kwp_1=540324&_r=0

23 hours ago, Raziel403 said:

Cosnidering what's blowing up my Twitter feed re:Milo, Maher's gonna have some backtracking to do friday.

Milo's book got cancelled and everyone at Brietbart is threatening to leave if he doesn't get fired. All because he said that in his opinion, it's OK for grown men to have sex with 14 year old boys. Just goes to show that if your deal is to say controversial shit all the time, sooner or later you'll say something TOO controversial and turn everyone against you. Except the gay ephebophile demographic, obviously.

• Like 1