Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board
RIPPA

FEBRUARY 2017 TELEVISION DISCUSSION

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, AxB said:

Milo's book got cancelled and everyone at Brietbart is threatening to leave if he doesn't get fired. All because he said that in his opinion, it's OK for grown men to have sex with 14 year old boys. Just goes to show that if your deal is to say controversial shit all the time, sooner or later you'll say something TOO controversial and turn everyone against you. Except the gay ephebophile demographic, obviously.

So, people justify saying vile, racist, sexist, xenophobic, homophobic things on the basis of free speech, but those same people are surprised when he says something vile about children.  That dude has proven to be a piece of shit over and over again, and had an army of people trying to defend him.  That dude crossed the line a long ass time ago, why the fuck is anyone surprised this piece of human trash when the only thing we know about him is that he is a human piece of trash.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, supremebve said:

So, people justify saying vile, racist, sexist, xenophobic, homophobic things on the basis of free speech, but those same people are surprised when he says something vile about children.  That dude has proven to be a piece of shit over and over again, and had an army of people trying to defend him.  That dude crossed the line a long ass time ago, why the fuck is anyone surprised this piece of human trash when the only thing we know about him is that he is a human piece of trash.  

I've never given a shit about Milo because why would I? However, once I heard that in the past he did the whole "BUT I HAVE A BLACK BOYFRIEND" line. When will people ever figure out that being in an interracial relationship doesn't disqualify you from or make you immune to being a racist? 

Even better, someone found an old FB post of his yesterday of him being straight up Dahmer predatory-ish towards young black men. Given what I've heard other people have been suspended or flagged on Facebook for, it makes me glad I'm not on Facebook really to see some downright repugnant shit being tolerated and passed off as a "joke".

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, supremebve said:

So, people justify saying vile, racist, sexist, xenophobic, homophobic things on the basis of free speech, but those same people are surprised when he says something vile about children.  That dude has proven to be a piece of shit over and over again, and had an army of people trying to defend him.  That dude crossed the line a long ass time ago, why the fuck is anyone surprised this piece of human trash when the only thing we know about him is that he is a human piece of trash.  

Sadly, offensive speech is still protected so long as it isn't incendiary or cross over into hate speech.

Milo's problem is that he has forgotten that the First Amendment also applies to his detractors and that the same Constitution that gives him the right to say horrible things is the very same document that gives people that disagree with him the right to call him an asshole.

Each side of the political spectrum seems to have forgotten that the other side shares the same Constitutional protections as they do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Sadly, offensive speech is still protected so long as it isn't incendiary or cross over into hate speech.

Milo's problem is that he has forgotten that the First Amendment also applies to his detractors and that the same Constitution that gives him the right to say horrible things is the very same document that gives people that disagree with him the right to call him an asshole.

Except non of this has anything to do with free speech.  Free speech does not mean people have to give your bullshit a platform, it just means you can't be arrested for it.  No one is saying he doesn't have the right to say any of the things he says, people are saying they don't want to hear it. Everyone putting him on television, giving him book deals, and booking him for speaking engagements are just promoting him and his nonsense.  My point is all of the things he has said before this are enough to be done with him, except people acted like his "side" needed to be heard by the masses.  That man made a living from being a vile human being, not because he has a right to say those things, but because people kept giving him a platform to say those things.  It has nothing to do with the first amendment.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Except non of this has anything to do with free speech.  Free speech does not mean people have to give your bullshit a platform, it just means you can't be arrested for it.  No one is saying he doesn't have the right to say any of the things he says, people are saying they don't want to hear it. Everyone putting him on television, giving him book deals, and booking him for speaking engagements are just promoting him and his nonsense.  My point is all of the things he has said before this are enough to be done with him, except people acted like his "side" needed to be heard by the masses.  That man made a living from being a vile human being, not because he has a right to say those things, but because people kept giving him a platform to say those things.  It has nothing to do with the first amendment.  

...which is why I don't feel support a lot of these shows even if they're left leaning or whatever (even though I don't consider myself anything when it comes to liberal or conservative as you have white supremacists on both sides). These are the motherfuckers they want to be on television. Back when they had Tomi Lahren on the Daily Show, I didn't find out until everyone was mentioning it on Twitter. I wouldn't watch that shit when Jon Stewart was the host so why the fuck would I watch just because some South African black dude was interviewing this piece of shit?

I am no longer asking why these people have a platform. They're given a platform because that's what these networks want to promote. I know people don't want to admit that since that means in a roundabout way they also support that paying their cable bill or cord cutting service bill. However, that is the agenda that they support and they're going to keep doing it. They don't have to admonish themselves. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, we find out who killed Wes this coming Thursday on the mid-season finale to How To Get Away With Murder..

I am a bit annoyed because the show is going Agatha Christie and has a mystery going on that only the characters in the show can solve.  No fucking clues for outsiders.

26 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

These are the motherfuckers they want to be on television. Back when they had Tomi Lahren on the Daily Show, I didn't find out until everyone was mentioning it on Twitter. I wouldn't watch that shit when Jon Stewart was the host so why the fuck would I watch just because some South African black dude was interviewing this piece of shit?

That is such a piece of pro wrestling carny booking, though.  Noah and Lahren were there preaching to their own choirs and galvanizing the viewership of their own respective television shows.

Mutually beneficial gamesmanship.  Wouldn't be surprised if they were dating secretly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, J.T. said:

That is such a piece of pro wrestling carny booking, though.  Noah and Lahren were there preaching to their own choirs and galvanizing the viewership of their own respective television shows.

Mutually beneficial gamesmanship.  Wouldn't be surprised if they were dating secretly.

Well, they dug up old tweets of hers basically being the Catch Me Outside girl before that girl even existed as a hokey concept and she went on a mission to delete them all. However, she's still a white supremacist and not even a some refined or learned white supremacist. I don't give a fuck if she was hanging with Noah and his producer after the show or was taking pictures w/ Charlemagne tha God. If she caught fire, I'm not wasting my saliva on the woman.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know I didn't really think about it at the time because I was caught up in the rah-rah hyperbole too, but giving that horrible person any kind of platform was an awful move on Trevor's part. People like him need to ditch the ratings pull and rationalization of "giving the other side a chance". As Aus-Rotten once said, "don't give them their freedom because they're not going to give you yours" (in a tastefully named ditty called "Fuck Nazi Sympathy", no less). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Well, they dug up old tweets of hers basically being the Catch Me Outside girl before that girl even existed as a hokey concept and she went on a mission to delete them all.

This is why I admire David Dukes.  He doesn't like me because I am black, I don't like him because he is racist, and we're both okay with that.

I am not convinced that people like Tomi and Milo so much actually believe the bullshit coming out of their mouths as much as they are cashing in on the new industry of pissing people off for fun and profit.  When everything you hear these days is so deliberately incendiary, you have to wonder if some of it is pure marketing.

This is what happens when Americans forget how to agree to disagree and are incapable of finding offense without being offended.

Let's all try to talk more about television shows before this shit gets locked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

You know I didn't really think about it at the time because I was caught up in the rah-rah hyperbole too, but giving that horrible person any kind of platform was an awful move on Trevor's part. People like him need to ditch the ratings pull and rationalization of "giving the other side a chance". As Aus-Rotten once said, "don't give them their freedom because they wouldn't give you yours". 

Yeah, I was just about edit my response to something to that effect. I have to give you a side eye glance for something like that (not so much just having her on but doing that and then being buddy buddy for a night out on the town). Charlemagne, I am not too surprised with because he does a podcast with Andrew Schultz and he's basically a white supremacist too. So anything Charlemagne says or does (even though some of it is some truthful shit), I can't really give him the benefit of the doubt on any questionable shit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

You know I didn't really think about it at the time because I was caught up in the rah-rah hyperbole too, but giving that horrible person any kind of platform was an awful move on Trevor's part. People like him need to ditch the ratings pull and rationalization of "giving the other side a chance".

I don't believe he should've had her on the program because it doesn't feel genuine, but a serio-comic program is probably the only forum where that sort of confrontation will happen.

He gets the rub from his fans for making her look idiotic through wit and humor while she gets the rub for going behind enemy lines for her cause.  Everyone goes home sorta happy.

We will all be dust before Rachel Maddow is invited for a civilized discussion on The Mark Lewin show because there is no money in having your opinion challenged on your own rah rah program.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't want to detract from the conversation because I do find it interesting and I think it certainly fits in the paradigm of TV discussion, but I just wanted to say a couple things about Sneaky Pete.

I fucking loved Justified. Like Breaking Bad, I binge watched all of Justified leading up to the final season and then I watched the final season as it aired. It's one of my favorite shows. It's one of those TV series that has a flavor or feel to it that you instantly recognize whenever you see it.

So I'm watching the first episode of Sneaky Pete and it has that familiar Justified feel. And then actors from Justified start popping up. I go to Google to check if Sneaky Pete is based on an Elmore Leonard novel and I can't find anything. I watch a few more episodes and, fuck, this may as well take place in the same universe as Justified. I then look up the showrunners for Sneaky Pete and sure enough, they were responsible for Justified.

That said, Sneaky Pete is great with some caveats. One big caveat is that this is all based around one guy impersonating another and blending into that person's family. It just seems ridiculous. I'm 7 episodes in and I can't help but think that the stupid TV show thing will happen and Pete/Mars will continue living with this family. The other caveat is that you can almost tell that the showrunners wanted Timothy Olyphant to play one of these characters, but due to age, and Olyphant's commitment to Santa Clarita Diet, he wasn't available. That said, fuck, if Olyphant showed up at some point, along with other Justified and Deadwood alums, I would start doing backflips.

Oh yeah, I really liked Santa Clarita Diet until the end. The end of that season came and it was terribly anticlimactic. Until then, I laughed a bunch and it was odd at times watching Olyphant play a character who wasn't really fucking pissed and looking to kill 24/7. It's like if his character from the Girl Next Door ditched the porn business and became a subdued, pothead, family man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, J.T. said:

He gets the rub from his fans for making her look idiotic through wit and humor

Which is why I watched, and in retrospect feel kinda dirty for doing so. Hindsight is 20/20. 

Her inserting both of her feet completely down her narrow gullet was far more incriminating than anything he could respond with really, so there's not even the pull of Trevor's humor there. It's just rubbernecking a car crash. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Which is why I watched, and in retrospect feel kinda dirty for doing so. Hindsight is 20/20. 

Her inserting both of her feet completely down her narrow gullet was far more incriminating than anything he could respond with really, so there's not even the pull of Trevor's humor there. It's just rubbernecking a car crash. 

Don't feel dirty. 

Where else on television can you see civilized democracy in practice and have two people with diametrically opposing viewpoints appearing on camera together without gouging each other's eyes out or setting something on fire?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Craig H said:

The other caveat is that you can almost tell that the showrunners wanted Timothy Olyphant to play one of these characters, but due to age, and Olyphant's commitment to Santa Clarita Diet, he wasn't available. That said, fuck, if Olyphant showed up at some point, along with other Justified and Deadwood alums, I would start doing backflips.

Olyphant would have been a better choice for the lawyer ex-husband.  Jacob Pitts is fine in that role, but Olyphant always has that, "I'm smarter than you and I know it" look on his face that would have really fit that character.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's always that Hate Thy Neighbor show on Viceland if I got off on that so much. Or I could just go watch old footage of Gore Vidal and William F. Buckley firing shots across the bow at each other. At least they were both intelligent!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, supremebve said:

Olyphant would have been a better choice for the lawyer ex-husband.  Jacob Pitts is fine in that role, but Olyphant always has that, "I'm smarter than you and I know it" look on his face that would have really fit that character.  

Yeah, maybe that's it, but that's such a small role for Olyphant. Also, Pitts really grew out his hair something fierce since Justified and comes across as such a douchebag. He must have used gallons of product for his hair during the shooting for Sneaky Pete.

Oh, and Cranston is amazing. His "you broke it, you bought it" monologue is so cold blooded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

There's always that Hate Thy Neighbor show on Viceland if I got off on that so much. Or I could just go watch old footage of Gore Vidal and William F. Buckley firing shots across the bow at each other. At least they were both intelligent!

Hate Thy Neighbor is yet another fucking awesome show on Viceland that I have failed to pimp.  This show and Abandoned join the holy pantheon that includes Cyberwar and Black Market.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of Viceland, why is every single episode of Noisey about hip hop? The only episode that went slightly outside of the box was the Vegas one about EDM. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Speaking of Viceland, why is every single episode of Noisey about hip hop? The only episode that went slightly outside of the box was the Vegas one about EDM. 

I am not really sure but then again, I am not really into Noisey.  I watch Dope $h1t on FM from my quasi hip-hop and EDM needs and there is also the phat block of programming on MTV Classic called 90 Minutes of 90's Hip Hop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Caught some of the 90 Hours marathon the other day and when I told my friend about it (Goodie Mob with Outkast!) on the phone yesterday he flipped, said he would have probably just grabbed a fifth and been sitting there glued to the screen the whole time. 

Noisey is okay (and I was wrong, they've done two Nashville episodes but the newer one is about Ke$ha and that country hip hop shit, which repulses me in multiple ways). But man, if you're gonna do a preview of the new season and show footage of Lemmy I WANT TO SEE IT, not just another political episode detailing downtrodden hip hop artists in a different city than last time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was trying to find something to watch with The Wife that isn't episodes of House and we settled on Broad City... Holy cats we are in love with thisshow! Abbi Jacobsen isalso my new Yenta of choice!

James

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Back when they had Tomi Lahren on the Daily Show, I didn't find out until everyone was mentioning it on Twitter. I wouldn't watch that shit when Jon Stewart was the host so why the fuck would I watch just because some South African black dude was interviewing this piece of shit?

I had no idea who the hell she was until Trevor mentioned her the first time, and was just befuddled and constantly wondering what the point of bringing her on the actual show was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/20/2017 at 9:58 PM, AxB said:

Milo's book got cancelled and everyone at Brietbart is threatening to leave if he doesn't get fired.

Man, you know you done fucked up when even Nazis won't have you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not sure if anyone is watching it but The Mick was renewed for a 2nd season

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...