DVDVR Message Board

ALL ENCOMPASSING STAR WARS THREAD

RIPPA

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

No, Han was the test run for Luke.   The tech were genuinely surprised that Han survived.

This made me laugh. All I had in my head was reshooting that scene where they freeze Han in carbonite and everyone pensively stands around looking at each other until the main guy doing the freezing is like, "it worked, he's still alive." Then everyone lets out a sigh of relief and shakes hands that it worked.

• Haha 1

On 1/17/2023 at 9:51 AM, Craig H said:

This made me laugh. All I had in my head was reshooting that scene where they freeze Han in carbonite and everyone pensively stands around looking at each other until the main guy doing the freezing is like, "it worked, he's still alive." Then everyone lets out a sigh of relief and shakes hands that it worked.

Vader Force choked his way through most of the admiral corps for the entire runtime of Empire Strikes Back.  Those lowbie Bespin cryotechs were sweating bullets.  If Vader is murdering senior Imperial officers at will, you know he doesn't give a shit about a couple of Ugnaughts

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Craig H said:

This is me getting way too deep into the lore, but if Vader still remembered/had access to his jedi training, it's entirely possible that he used some force matrix(?) or something to save Han just enough so he'd survive the freeze.  It'd also explain why he's alone when Luke's in the chamber ... "Why do I need these techs around?  I know how to do this already."

• Like 2

Within six years carbonite technology was advanced enough that Din Djarin basically had one in a closet on his ship so this was probably more like final beta testing.  Or just the techs trying to justify their jobs to the boss.

• Like 3

Excited for the new season, but anyone else hate the new ship? Its super impractical for a bounty hunter. Never mind not having a place for captives, he doesn't have a home and for all intents and purposes lives on his ship. No storage for supplies, food, sleeping, bathing, etc.

• Like 2

That ship, like a lot of other stuff in this (and other) SW series isn't about what's right for the story, it's just "hey, that's that thing from the other Star Wars thing!"

That's my issue with a lot of the Feloni and Favreau stuff. There's too much reliance on getting the "cheap pop" from fans for easter eggs.

Andor was refreshing that it mostly steered clear of that.

• Like 1

Who is going to cheap pop for a shitty looking fighter ship from movies that were widely panned? I read it more as needing to "de-power" Din a little bit. He already has nearly invulnerable armor, he can bust out just about every trick in the book, he has a baby Jedi tagging along with him, and he had a crazy awesome ship with a, as previously mentioned, a carbonite freezer on board. It's almost like they thought that they couldn't take away the armor, Grogu, or all of his weapons, but let's give him a really shitty ship.

It's also reflective of his transition, for now at least, of not being a bounty hunter. While season 2 really made me fall in love with the series, I do wish they'd find a way to get him to do bounty hunting work again.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

i spent some time yesterday reading opinions on the Star Wars trilogies, and how different age groups rank the trilogies against each other. How do you rank them? are there major factors that significantly contribute to your order?

For me, best to worst:

Original Trilogy (IV-VI) - grew up watching VHS copies of these endlessly. nostalgia rules every time.
Sequel Trilogy (VII-IX) - not a fan of 7, but thought 8 was a crazy fun take on the mythos, and 9 reeled everything back in to a satisfactory conclusion
Prequel Trilogy (I-III) - 1 is terrible. 2 is OK and 3 was honestly pretty good, but overall 1 is just SO uninteresting that it drags the whole set down

• Like 2

I would have to rewatch the prequel trilogy to rank it as there are large amounts I can't remember. At this point I mostly just think of Clone Wars when i go back to that time period. In the end my overall trilogy ranking would probably be the same.

Anyone else watching S2 of Bad Batch? Not sure what it is, but this season is resonating better with me despite having a decent amount of filler. The more plot focused episodes have been great. Really dug this week's two parter on Coruscant. The political drama was done well along with a few plot points finally coming to a boil with Rampart and the need to transition from Clone troopers to Stormtroopers. Curious to see where things go next.

Edited by Eivion

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

I would have to rewatch the prequel trilogy to rank it as there are large amounts I can't remember. At this point I mostly just think of Clone Wars when i go back to that time period. In the end my overall trilogy ranking would probably be the same.

Anyone else watching S2 of Bad Batch? Not sure what it is, but this season is resonating better with me despite having a decent amount of filler. The more plot focused episodes have been great. Really dug this week's two parter on Coruscant. The political drama was done well along with a few plot points finally coming to a boil with Rampart and the need to transition from Clone troopers to Stormtroopers. Curious to see where things go next.

That Palpatine entrance was a pretty great moment.  Yeah.  It started with some character stuff and some filler.  But it hit the ground running this week.

• Like 1

Just finished Andor. Loved it as much as most others seem to. Stories of the early rebellion are particularly interesting to me, Rebels for instance is one of my favourite Star Wars stories.

Reading back on the comments here, I was surprised by the dislike of Syril. The mother was a bit much at times, but I liked seeing someone from the Empire from that view. They're pretty much always just portrayed as the uniform they wear. Give me more mundane officers dealing with demotions, I guess.

Plus, him and Dedra gave me Kirtan Loor and Ysanne Isard vibes

• Like 4

2 hours ago, elizium said:

Reading back on the comments here, I was surprised by the dislike of Syril. The mother was a bit much at times, but I liked seeing someone from the Empire from that view. They're pretty much always just portrayed as the uniform they wear. Give me more mundane officers dealing with demotions, I guess.

Syril is fine as a character. They just gave him too much attention. 

On 2/11/2023 at 12:27 PM, twiztor said:

i spent some time yesterday reading opinions on the Star Wars trilogies, and how different age groups rank the trilogies against each other. How do you rank them? are there major factors that significantly contribute to your order?

For me, best to worst:

Original Trilogy (IV-VI) - grew up watching VHS copies of these endlessly. nostalgia rules every time.
Sequel Trilogy (VII-IX) - not a fan of 7, but thought 8 was a crazy fun take on the mythos, and 9 reeled everything back in to a satisfactory conclusion
Prequel Trilogy (I-III) - 1 is terrible. 2 is OK and 3 was honestly pretty good, but overall 1 is just SO uninteresting that it drags the whole set down

A couple years ago, when my son got into Star Wars, we watched everything. I was surprised that I actually liked the prequels more on re-watch than I remembered. I'd agree with your assessments of them, though. One thing that stuck out is the scene at the end of Ep. II where all of the Jedi show up. That scene should have been the big battle at the end of Endgame, but it comes off so rinky-dink. It's so anti-climatic. It just looks so cheap (which it definitely wasn't!).

Initially, I was fine with Ep. 7 and 8. Rise of Skywalker might be the worst of all of the movies, IMO. The more I think about these three, the more I sour on them. I just don't like that they did such a reset. It's like the events of the original trilogy didn't matter at all. We just ended up with the exact same type of Empire running things.

• Like 4

Prequels definitly age better than I thought they would. Phantom Menace was always fun to me, I never got on board with the hate a lot of people had (have?) for it and Revenge of the Sith is generally very good.  Attack of the clones is the weakest for me.

Im hoping the sequel trilogy will age better.  I loved TFA but didn’t care much for the other two.  

I loved Solo and Rogue One and would easily put both in my top 5 Star Wars films (along with the original trilogy)

• Like 1

I feel like the prequels would be looked back at more positively if they were less reliant on CG. Not take CG out completely, but use a lot more practical effects. Think of something like Lord of the Rings, which had lots of CG but it was all built off a skeleton of practical effects. Then compare LOTR to the Hobbit, where the rushed schedule and Jackson just being over the whole thing, used comparatively little practical effects and way more CG and looks 10x worse than the movies that came before it.

I rewatched the prequels again a couple years ago and was surprised by how much I enjoyed them. Stiff, clunky dialogue? Sure, but every Star Wars movie has that. I'd still put it as the weakest of the 3 trilogies, but think it may be different if they didn't look so much like a cut-scene.

Way back when I hated that Phantom Menace was primarily driven by a trade dispute, but as I've gotten older and the world is *waves hand*, it makes sense to me that fascism would use such a mundane thing, that most people wouldn't care about, to gain a foothold. The stories just needed a 2nd hand to give a pass over Lucas' script and ideas.

Edited by elizium
  • Like 2

Yeah, I’m definitely not trying to retroactively say the prequel trilogy was any good, because I think all those movies are varying degrees of bad, but as time goes on, my appreciation for them grows, because at least George was still trying to make those films about something. Pretty much everything Disney has made besides TLJ and Andor has been “Star Wars about Star Wars”

One of the reasons I maybe have more time for the Syril plot line on Andor than most is because I think it paints a painstaking portrait of an average person being drawn into participating in fascism. Which is super subversive for a multi-billion dollar franchise IP.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve just rewatched Mando S1.  I think on rewatch I enjoyed it more than Andor, and that’s saying something as I loved Andor.

I think Boba Fett clouded my judgement a little.

My other big takeaway is “why couldn’t Gina Carano keep her opinions in her head”, Cara Dune is such a great character.  

Edited by Ultimo Necro

The Mandalorian S3E1C17

This didn't suck. Then again, I was one of those that liked Book of Boba Fett. The opening was obviously set-up as a swerve. I do l9oe me Carl Weathets ascending to his role as Count of Monte Fisto

James

• Like 4

It was mostly setting up the what is to come for the season but I dug it. Carl Weathers is always a plus, and I dug the scene with Bo-Katan. There is something hilarious about her being so pissy about about Dinn's cult when she was a part of a terrorist group that was almost certainly a splinter from it and helped really fuck up Mandalore in the first place.

• Like 2

The other funny thing with Bo Katan was just her sitting on the throne like she had no fucks left to give and was just acting like a bratty teenager. 

I was honestly hoping than Din would have said fuck all this nonsense with being accepted again, wearing a helmet all the time sucks, but alas, not yet.

Effects were off the charts good. They really broke the bank with the first episode. 

Also, I need a gif of Grogu spinning in the chair like a kid would do in any office chair.

36 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I was honestly hoping than Din would have said fuck all this nonsense with being accepted again, wearing a helmet all the time sucks, but alas, not yet.

Guessing this happens after he does everything to rejoin the Watch successfully but they have issues with Grogu. Or we see him help restore Mandalore with some middle ground on this type of stuff.