DVDVR Message Board

ALL ENCOMPASSING STAR WARS THREAD

RIPPA

In keeping with my trend of starting new threads for the new year (especially if the person who started them is banned) I start a new Star Wars thread.

It seemed fitting since the news has been released that

Episode VIII = The Last Jedi

Edited by RIPPA
Stupid Roman Numerals

Hopefully, this will be an original decent movie like Rogue One and not a note for note remake of Empire loaded with nostaligic callbacks that gets worse with repeated viewings  like TFA was.

I am debating which Jonah Hill gif better encompasses my reaction.

giphy.gif

tenor.gif

Let's just say, a little from column A, a little from column B. 

Spoiler

And yeah, I think Luke is as good as done.  Makes sense, him and Leia being Force Ghosts in Episode IX would make it absolutely the story of Ray, Finn, and Matt. (Who straight up sucks.)

• Like 2

Spoiler

IF they job out Luke to Kylo, or anyone else, they should go fuck themselves.  I know I would be much less enthusiastic about Episode IX. Han was bad enough, but Luke? Especially with the death of Carrie fisher.  The title could also be refering to Luke not Rey.  Rey's fine, but I can't stand Finn. They should have killed him off instead of the feign killing of Oscar Isaac. . .

I see the Last Jedi and can't help, but think the Last Dragon for some reason. It seems like they are telegraphing Luke's death, but I hope its something different, especially with all the other ways and groups that exist in the force.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I see the Last Jedi and can't help, but think the Last Dragon for some reason. It seems like they are telegraphing Luke's death, but I hope its something different, especially with all the other ways and groups that exist in the force.

If Kylo tells someone to kiss his converse and then Finn gets the glow, I will go see this movie at least a half dozen times

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Barry Gordon's The Last Jedi

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I don't necessarily think that "last" implies that Luke is going to die so much as Ren will be the last Jedi that Luke trains.

The Kylo Ren / Darth Canderous conundrum will kick in.

15 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

My one friend and I must have watched that movie three dozen times between about eight and twelve years of

My only criticism of the movie is that the awesomeness of the special effects hides what great martial artists that Taimak and Julius Carry actually were.

Golden Glow vs. Red Glow was an incredible mark out moment, but you can barely see the badass fight choreography.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

My one friend and I must have watched that movie three dozen times between about eight and twelve years of

My friends and I watch that movie at least twice a year since we were 17, we're all now north of 37.

Fuck, now I'm going to be stuck wishing this movie had Darth Sho'nuff, the Sith Lord of Harlem.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Me and my older brother used to watch yearly when he still lived at the house.

5 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

Jedi, come out to PLAAAAY,  Jedi, come out to PLAAAAAY, Jedi, come out to PLAAAAAAAY. . .  .. 

This makes me think "Flava in Ya Ear".. which is appropriate  for this thread because I imagine when J.J. created TFA he uttered "You know we had to do the remix right??"

Man, The Last Dragon used to be on Encore when Encore was BRAND NEW and included on most cable packages. It was the only movie channel we had and I must have watched The Last Dragon as a kid all the freaking time because it was always on. That and the World According to Garp.

Getting way off topic, but I'm willing to bet so much was inspired by the Last Dragon. Like, the Matrix for example. Neo basically discovers the Glow. So did Rey in TFA, kinda.

There was a showing of The Last Dragon at a local indy-theater a few months ago.  There was a Q&A with Taimak, but unfortunately I couldn't go, because I already made plans for that day beforehand.  I was pissed that I couldn't do both.  I've watched that movie at least 50 times.