DVDVR Message Board

ALL ENCOMPASSING STAR WARS THREAD

RIPPA

There so many great things about that episode.  Giancarlo back is never a bad thing.

For a side character, Paz went out like a fucking KING.

I'm still giving Filoni and Faverau all the credit in the world for making entertaining as hell Star Wars without sole reliance on Jedi/Sith while plugging all the massive holes of the Sequels.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, J.H. said:

Perhaps we will finally learn why Gideon is so fixated on Din

James

Thoughts in the spoiler tag that some may consider spoilers for today's episode

Spoiler

He's doing it to get to Grogu. The whole episode that had him looking like a Vader clone, so I am betting that we're going to get Din tortured to lure out Grogu, much like Vader tortured Han to get to Luke. Hell, we might even get a flashback showing Gideon was at Cloud City.

Since we're coming up on season end, someone has to be in peril for a cliffhanger ending or at least a bridge to Ahsoka, much like they did with the S2 finale and the story arc from Book of Boba Fett.

This episode was much more tense after having our 'light' episode last week.

Was sort of hoping the Anzellan would pilot IG-12 and become a new member of the crew, but I guess they figured that would take away from Grogu.

I'm really enjoying Mando this season, and I really liked season 2 of Bad Batch. But I can't be the only one that is a little annoyed that the shows that started out as a fun little slice of Star Wars lore is now being tasked with fixing the sequel trilogy. It seems like that is Filoni's lot in life.

1 hour ago, RandomAct said:

I'm really enjoying Mando this season, and I really liked season 2 of Bad Batch. But I can't be the only one that is a little annoyed that the shows that started out as a fun little slice of Star Wars lore is now being tasked with fixing the sequel trilogy. It seems like that is Filoni's lot in life.

Whatever do you mean? Its not like Clone Wars was Filoni fixing the prequel trilogy or anything.......

To be fair he has been able to add quite a bit to the lore while having to fix the trilogies so its not all bad for him.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eivion said:

Whatever do you mean? Its not like Clone Wars was Filoni fixing the prequel trilogy or anything.......

To be fair he has been able to add quite a bit to the lore while having to fix the trilogies so its not all bad for him.   

The prequels didn't have gaping plot holes or gaps in logic like the sequels. They needed a coat of paint, not a full on remodel. I was just content to pretend like the sequels never happened.

• Like 1

On some level, it's still just really frustrating that the New Republic turned out to be such a shitshow. You can rationalize it that Leia was honed and crafted and forged to win a Rebellion and not the peace and that Luke was a half-trained overly emotional Jedi Knight (like his father before him) and not some sort of Jedi Master that could recreate a whole order and be a teacher.

More so than rationalizing and operationalizing the rise of the First Order, I'd like Filoni to find/establish positives in the sea of this era, bits of hope and things worth saving that can be carried forward and called back into whatever they're doing with Rey next.

Force Awakens is still such a colossal downer, way more than Last Jedi.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 5

Man, that episode rocked. For the first time in forever Din looked extremely vulnerable to the point where I started wondering, shit, are they going to do something crazy and kill him off? We had just seen Paz get stabbed to death by Praetors, who knows what happens to Din from here especially with Gideon in beskar armor.

I think the only thing that threw me off was that barely any time passed from when Gideon met with the shadow council to make his requests to when the Mandalorians walked into the trap. Gideon already had all of the Tie Interceptors and Bombers there, not to mention all of the troops he asked for, and not a single ship in that Mandalorian fleet caught wind of any of ships arriving on Mandalore. Hell, not even the dudes left on Mandalore knew what was happening. Seems like a pretty big plot hole, but I'm willing to excuse it because everything else is so good and doesn't even come close to the bullshit JJ pulled.

Seeing Hux's dad was a little weird. In hindsight, I wish they would have just hired Brendan Gleeson for the role since he's a surly, tough looking bastard as is.

And man are they really laying the ground work for Ahsoka and Thrawn. Maybe in the final episode, Gideon has failed, again, Thrawn arrives, tells Gideon he's heard that he's been talking shit, and then just murks Gideon to show everyone who is the boss.

There's the weird thing where Gideon said the current Dark Troopers have something from multiple fronts, and he's in the armor.  I'm wondering if the current Dark Troopers are Gideon clones.  

I can see him trying to get Grogu if for no other reason than to cut off Hux from pulling off Project Necromancer, which we know is just the attempt to revive Palpatine and succeeds anyway.  I'm more pegging Bo Katan finally offing Gideon since he was the one that glassed Mandalore than him getting murked by Thrawn.  

I'll buy the time skip as I'm guessing Giedon was already on Mandalore and just needed the transfer, and all his stuff got there before the Mandalorians got mobilized.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

I think the only thing that threw me off was that barely any time passed from when Gideon met with the shadow council to make his requests to when the Mandalorians walked into the trap. Gideon already had all of the Tie Interceptors and Bombers there, not to mention all of the troops he asked for, and not a single ship in that Mandalorian fleet caught wind of any of ships arriving on Mandalore. Hell, not even the dudes left on Mandalore knew what was happening. Seems like a pretty big plot hole, but I'm willing to excuse it because everything else is so good and doesn't even come close to the bullshit JJ pulled.

The meeting was at the beginning of the show so we have no idea how much time was between it and the Night Owls/Watch rallying together under Bo and the Armorer. The fleet was nowhere near Mandalorian space before then so they would have had no way to know. The people on the planet were half dead and mostly just trying to survive. Depending on where Gideon's forces actually are they would have never seen them gather. 

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Seeing Hux's dad was a little weird. In hindsight, I wish they would have just hired Brendan Gleeson for the role since he's a surly, tough looking bastard as is.

I assume they went with brother because he has a similar weasley look that Hux has in the sequel trilogy. On other hand if they had a shot at getting the father they should have took it. 

• Like 1

On 4/13/2023 at 2:10 PM, Eivion said:

The meeting was at the beginning of the show so we have no idea how much time was between it and the Night Owls/Watch rallying together under Bo and the Armorer. The fleet was nowhere near Mandalorian space before then so they would have had no way to know. The people on the planet were half dead and mostly just trying to survive. Depending on where Gideon's forces actually are they would have never seen them gather. 

I assume they went with brother because he has a similar weasley look that Hux has in the sequel trilogy. On other hand if they had a shot at getting the father they should have took it. 

I binge watched the first seven episodes last weekend and the whole "time" concept is something I've just learned to pretend doesn't exist. I figure if the show wanted me to know how much time has passed, they'd tell me as they make a lot of things seem *instantaneous* when in reality maybe a day passed, maybe a week... who knows. I figure it was an intentional choice by them to make no mention of time passing and if its not important to the story I'm not going to stress about it in a show like Star Wars.

My favorite example of this is them acting like warp speed = teleporting, when Teva magically went from Nevarro to Coruscant and back in seemingly very little time. I looked it up later (I'm not nerdy enough to know these things off the top of my head) and The Internet says it would take about six days to get from the Outer Rim to Coruscant. Add in that Teva went from wherever he got the message to Coruscant to the Mandalorian hiding spot back to Nevarro, minimally weeks would have passed but as we get back to Nevarro the townspeople still seem to be settling in from being displaced.

It may sound like I'm complaining but I'm not - the writers can emphasize what they want and if time passage doesn't matter then no need to mention it. Its clearly... flexible, or just flat out not important. I just finding it amusing that just about every episode has at least one ambiguous time jump, I wonder how much time on their storyboard they estimate has passed from episode 1 to 8 this season.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

Has film Star Wars ever really been consistent with how long space travel is? I don't remember anyone really talking about it being an issue. Trek does when it matters but throws it away when necessary. 😀

I'm sure it hasn't haha but its definitely not instant, in the original they had time to play games and train and nap on the way to Alderaan. I imagine someone has tried to calculate it out but most the estimates are probably from the Legacy books, dunno if Disney or the new books have tackled it.

Dug the finale a good deal. I suspect most of the complaints will end up being over not getting wishes fulfilled in terms of deaths, appearances, battles, etc. going off of the one short yt vid I have caught so far discussing it. Not to say there aren't any issues. The episode could have some extra time to elaborate on smaller bits of story here and there. And while its not the norm, a stinger of some sort probably wouldn't have been the worst idea given the Shadow Council we saw in the episode before. Still, I thought the finale was good for the most part, and I liked the direction they took things in. Curious to see how season 4 plays out with things being a lot more open. 

• Like 2

I liked the finale for The Mandalorian quite a bit, though the very end was a little corny but not in a way that made me hate it.

Has a S4 even been confirmed or are we just waiting for the big honkin Filoniverse movie?

James

Edited by J.H.
  • Like 1

Finale was fantastic.

I figure we won't know more about S4 until we get through Ahsoka and find out whatever Boba's up to (if it's a one shot or if they're going to try Boba S2)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Finale was fantastic.

I figure we won't know more about S4 until we get through Ahsoka and find out whatever Boba's up to (if it's a one shot or if they're going to try Boba S2)

Excellent choreography and photography in the fights, and the Armorer swatting assholes out of the sky with her hammer was absolutely perfect. Felt a little too compact in a couple spots, but it doesn't detract from the overall story.

I'm good if this is the last of the show.

• Like 3

Yep S4 has been written already and set people confirmed working on Tatooine stuff. They just weren't sure if it was for another season of BOBF or Mandalorian. I figure its the latter as Boba's series felt like a one-off the same way Kenobi did. 

In a way, its a shame there is another season of Mandalorian. I'm sure it will be good, but season three came to a pretty 'final' conclusion (as far as Star Wars goes) with very few loose strings that would need to be tied up in the Mandalorian universe, and the characters could still be used in other shows going forward. I just hope they have a fun idea for another season, too many shows on TV in general continue past the point the writers still have captivating ideas, hopefully Mandalorian doesn't fall into that trap.

I enjoyed this season but it certainly had its issues, poorly explaining moments, logical gaps, etc. A lot of that I can just ignore, being a Star Wars fan, but I do wonder as the season went on if they "lost" viewers. The first two seasons got people watching that weren't necessarily Star Wars fans (both my parents included) because it was interesting and Baby Yoda was cute. This season they both only lasted until the third episode and tapped out. That's far too small of a sample size of course to say it was a trend nationwide, but this season felt more designed to entertain Star Wars fans rather than appealing to casual viewers that may not mind Star Wars but aren't in love with it. It just feels like the show accomplished its goal and completed its arch, there are always more stories that can be told but they could be told in other ways (a Bo-Katan mini-series, for example).

But it will be a couple years until the next one so by then I'm sure I'll be ready for more adventures of Mando.

If the finale didn't have me in goosebumps then it had me in tears. This was so ridiculously fucking awesome. I was totally overwhelmed watching it. Bring on more D+ Star Wars stuff. It has easily been the best of Star Wars since the original trilogy and it's starting to get to the point of being at the same level as that trilogy.

I think the only thing I honestly wanted, as some sort of teaser for Ahsoka or another Boba Fett joint or something, was some sort of teaser that Cobb Vanth is still alive. We never saw a body showing that he's actually dead, but maybe that's me refusing to accept that Olyphant won't have anything else to do with this universe anymore.

And along those same lines, it's hard for me to believe Gideon is dead dead if we don't see a body. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if we see Gideon again. And if we don't, that's cool. Killing off Gideon paves the way for Thrawn.

Fuck. Sometimes, despite everything else happening, this feels like a pretty good timeline when we get this finale on Wednesday and then can look forward to the Picard finale the very next day.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I think the only thing I honestly wanted, as some sort of teaser for Ahsoka or another Boba Fett joint or something, was some sort of teaser that Cobb Vanth is still alive. We never saw a body showing that he's actually dead, but maybe that's me refusing to accept that Olyphant won't have anything else to do with this universe anymore.

Um, we got the teaser that Vanth was still alive at the end of Boba Fett, getting the same-ish cyborg treatment Shan got.