DVDVR Message Board

ALL ENCOMPASSING STAR WARS THREAD

RIPPA

• 1 month later...

That was really my only problem with all of this. I really liked the two episodes, Ray Stevenson (RIP) was awesome, but Thrawn is in exile and for whatever reason, in this thousands years old temple for witches, there's a McGuffin star map. And the star map leads to Thrawn. Like...what?

Ultimately it's just some stupid shit I'll get past if the series stays good, but I really, really, really can't stand that trope. For starters, it never makes sense. It was probably the absolute worst in any movie ever in Rise of Skywalker. While this wasn't anywhere near as dumb or contrived as that, it was still annoying.

And as someone who didn't watch the Clone Wars or Rebels and only read about them through wikipedia, I feel like there's stuff I forgot and need to re-read again.

They kind of addressed where the map came from in the conversation between Morgan and Baylan Skoll (i.e. how the people from the other Galaxy arrived and helped form the Jedi Order to which Skoll said was just a fairy tale).

Ibwas so gerked to see Clancy Brown in a different SW role.

James

1 hour ago, J.H. said:

They kind of addressed where the map came from in the conversation between Morgan and Baylan Skoll (i.e. how the people from the other Galaxy arrived and helped form the Jedi Order to which Skoll said was just a fairy tale).

Ibwas so gerked to see Clancy Brown in a different SW role.

James

That still doesn't really explain how Morgan knows that's where the Hyperspace Whale took Thrawn outside of the "Dathomiri" handwave (I can't remember if she was mentioned to be Dathomiri in Mando), Like, how does the map know that's where Thrawn went unless the Witches like, had a grand fateweaving plan for Thrawn, but we've also seen that Dathomir prohpecy is pretty bullshit.

I'm super curious how Skoll ended up the way he did, as he's not Sith, but doesn't seem to have issue with working with Sith adjacent people (like a leftover Inquisitor.)

Live action Chopper was everything I wanted though.

• Like 1

Another Disney-era post RotJ SW Trope that bugs the shit out of me:

"Oh no, there can't really be Imperial Loyalists still running around, let's take ZERO steps in preventing it's comeback and ignore everyone that says different!"

Like, I get it *might* be commentary on how a issue was ignored until it became almost unstoppable, but you'd think it'd take more than less than one generation.

3 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Another Disney-era post RotJ SW Trope that bugs the shit out of me:

"Oh no, there can't really be Imperial Loyalists still running around, let's take ZERO steps in preventing it's comeback and ignore everyone that says different!"

Like, I get it *might* be commentary on how a issue was ignored until it became almost unstoppable, but you'd think it'd take more than less than one generation.

I think I mentioned this before, but in one of the books about what takes place pre-Force Awakens, they go into detail about how wildly incompetent and naive the New Republic is to the point where Leia said fuck all this and left. That's why I was happy they delved into that stuff in season 3 of the Mandalorian. I don't want to get political here, but you can draw a lot of parallels between the New Republic and the Ds with how they just constantly let everything slip through their fingers. The New Republic was basically just asking to get run over thinking everything was all good just because they won a couple battles. I mean, they even went as far as to start decommissioning their own ships. They're just the most gullible bunch.

• Like 1

I really enjoyed both episodes. Its good to see so many Rebels characters again. Was also great seeing Clancy Brown reprise one of his voiced characters in live action.

Wasn't expecting Elsbeth to be a Dathomiri Witch. That explains why she was bold/dumb enough to actually take on Ahsoka in combat back in Mandalorian S2. Always thought it was weird that an Imperial politician would be that brave. As to how she or the map knows where Thrawn is. I assume a connection through the Force considering how all of it was Force related in nature.

Was Sabine ever said to be force sensitive in the past? Feels odd for Ahsoka to take her on as an apprentice though I enjoyed the dynamic it has created between the two.

• Like 1

Sabine isn't force-sensitive, as Huyang (David Tennant?!) explains.Since she kept Ezra's lightsaber, Ahsoka tried to teach her to use it, like how Ezra taught her to wield the Darksaber.

Edited by Ace
  • Like 1

I guess nobody here talked about Obi-Wan Kenobi because the less said, the better.  Jesus.  If this franchise didn't have a massive track record of high-profile stinkers, it'd be about the worst addition to it.  All that bullshit - with more "the villains are stupid" swerves-on-top-of-swerves than could possibly be effective - just to halfway contextualize, "Help me, Obi-Wan; you're my only hope," except, of course, that when he actually DIES, there's no reaction at all from Leia in Ep 4, and now this show makes those moments INCREDIBLY weird.  I guess you could argue that, in the film, she was still emotionally concussed from watching her entire planet and way of life get obliterated, but that's...weak, at best.  As was most of this turd.  Some of Ep 2 was pretty good, and the reveal in Ep 5 kind of worked, but yeesh.  Mostly just groan after groan of bad writing - with the cherry on top of the shit sundae of Whatshername getting to Tattooine so fast after cold-shouldering a lightsaber to the solar plexus and then Obi-Wan hyperdriving in the escape pod...but hey, didn't the BIGGER dropship have a malfunctioning hyperdrive, and you're fucking TELLING ME that I'm supposed to believe there was NOTHING from the smaller craft they couldn't have used to get the big one working again?!?!?  The fuck is this?!?!?  Just seriously, fuck whoever let this crap make it out of the goddamn writer's room.

Edited by Contentious C

On 8/23/2023 at 6:46 AM, Raziel said:

So, people not wanting to be found leaving star maps in places they in no way really should be is now a trope in Star Wars, right?

Who said Thrawn didn't want to be found? 

To the below. They never said Sabine was Force Sensitive on Rebels. Kanan trained her how to use the Darksaber because they wanted her to lead the Mandalorians and unite all their peoples and tribes using the Darksaber. But then she gave it up to Bo-Katan because she didn't have it in her to be the leader.

So I'm not sure why it's so important and how she needs to be Ahsoka's apprentice since she's not a Force user, and she's not a natural Lightsaber wielder either. Frankly, I never got the sense from watching Rebels that Sabine was going down that path, and Sabine marches to the beat of her own drum, hence why she copped out on being the Mandalore, copped out of the Imperial Academy, copped out on being the heir of House Wren. But it's Dave Filoni's show and characters, so he can do what he wants with them.

On 8/23/2023 at 11:27 AM, Eivion said:

I really enjoyed both episodes. Its good to see so many Rebels characters again. Was also great seeing Clancy Brown reprise one of his voiced characters in live action.

Wasn't expecting Elsbeth to be a Dathomiri Witch. That explains why she was bold/dumb enough to actually take on Ahsoka in combat back in Mandalorian S2. Always thought it was weird that an Imperial politician would be that brave. As to how she or the map knows where Thrawn is. I assume a connection through the Force considering how all of it was Force related in nature.

Was Sabine ever said to be force sensitive in the past? Feels odd for Ahsoka to take her on as an apprentice though I enjoyed the dynamic it has created between the two.

Edited by TheVileOne

We talked about Obi-Wan.

Obi-Wan would have been much better as a movie instead of 6 episodes where I think they ran the same story or plot three different times. With Obi-Wan, I mainly focus on the one time they did the story really well and just ignore the repetition so it was still pretty good to me, but I would have been fine with it being maybe 3 episodes and cutting out all of the filler and all of the repeating storylines.

Ultimately, I think you could have cut out just about everything with Leia and saved that for a flashback episode in another series. Keep the stuff with Darth burning Obi-Wan alive, keep the stuff where he heals up, and keep just about everything from the finale. Like, I can't even imagine how insane the positive reaction would have been if the first episode ended with Obi-Wan getting torched by Vader. That would have been such a holy shit moment to kick things off. Then again, it's been a bit since I watched Obi-Wan so my memory is slightly fuzzy. I just remember about 3 of those episodes being really fucking good.

So we're going with "anyone can be a Force User, it's just a matter of training, the Jedi just only picked the ones with the most natural talent".  We're also still fast and loose on exactly how hyperdrive works, as now if you make one big enough you can cross Galaxies.

I could yell about that it's even dumber that Mon Mothma is the Chancellor and letting the Republic be destroyed from teh inside, but yeah, the whole Republic/Remnent-First Order is just commentary on US politics so whatever.