DVDVR Message Board

ALL ENCOMPASSING STAR WARS THREAD

RIPPA

• 4 weeks later...

Episode I is going to have a 25th anniversary (oh god, kill me) re-release this month, so expect to see plenty of clips like this. 

Spoiler

Pleasantly surprised that Bad Batch ended on an up note.  I was expecting them to go out like the Wild Bunch.  At least that’s what I thought the show was signaling (pretty sure it was).  But instead they subverted expectations and not only gave something of a happy ending.  But didn’t make it taste like shit.  Kudos.  Love this show.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Finished Bad Batch last week.

Spoiler

Ended on a more positive note than expected which I dug. Even enjoyed the little epilogue though it still leaves me wondering where Omega ended up post Rebellion. Still can't help but wonder what we might have gotten had the series continued on. Feels like there was at least one more season planned out for the Clones general story.

Started Tales of the Empire last week and finished just now with my brother.

Spoiler

I appreciated getting more of Elsbeth's backstory though I think the most interesting aspects were in that first episode with the revelation of the Light side variants of the Nightsisters. The Barriss arc was better with us getting to see how far she fell before redemption. Still kind of cold to not give us a definitive answer on her death in that final episode. Both of these felt like potential building blocks for future stuff in Ahsoka. Definitely hoping they at least revisit that other clan on Dathomir.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The Acolyte S1E1&2

No spoilers here. I like it so far and the fight choreography is wonderful. At its core this is a mystery. A nice kind of combination of cop show with kung-fu fights.

I want to make some dumb joke like "It's Crouching Ewok, Hidden Wookie" but I'm more digging the mystery aspect of it all.

James

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

I've learned not to ask a lot of my Star Wars content outside of just be engaging and enjoyable. I thought the initial two eps of The Acolyte accomplished that. I'm excited to see where it goes. It does seem that opinions have varied all over the place on it, but many of the reviews also are based on having seen the next two episodes. 

• Like 1

I watched the first ep of Acolyte and thought it was really good!  It really proves that Star Wars stuff is better without trying to shoehorn Skywalker shit and fanservice into it.  Just use that universe as a jumping off point for good stories, like Andor, and you're golden.

• Like 3

Caught the first two episodes of Acolyte last night. No completely sold on it though I mostly like what I see so far. I kind of like the lead. The mystery has my curiosity.  I also like seeing one of the more political Jedi in play. Digging the characters. Do have to admit that it does feel like a waste for the most famous actor to be taken out already, but hopefully we get some flashbacks with them if just to eventually explain the truth behind the mystery.

15 hours ago, Eivion said:

Caught the first two episodes of Acolyte last night. No completely sold on it though I mostly like what I see so far. I kind of like the lead. The mystery has my curiosity.  I also like seeing one of the more political Jedi in play. Digging the characters. Do have to admit that it does feel like a waste for the most famous actor to be taken out already, but hopefully we get some flashbacks with them if just to eventually explain the truth behind the mystery.

I’m certain we’ll see her again.  Stunt casting does nothing for the show when it amounts to a cameo.  

Being that it’s a mystery show and the Jedi seen thus far are apparently responsible for doing something bad.  I’m guessing (like a lot people) that there are flashbacks upcoming where she’ll have to appear.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2024 at 7:34 PM, Eivion said:

On 6/8/2024 at 11:21 AM, Brandon Bones said:

I’m certain we’ll see her again.  Stunt casting does nothing for the show when it amounts to a cameo.  

Being that it’s a mystery show and the Jedi seen thus far are apparently responsible for doing something bad.  I’m guessing (like a lot people) that there are flashbacks upcoming where she’ll have to appear.

Yeah, I'm thinking flashbacks, because I would have never figured Disney Star Wars to be the next place we'd see a Psycho/Scream "kill the big star in the first reel" deal.

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Yeah, I'm thinking flashbacks, because I would have never figured Disney Star Wars to be the next place we'd see a Psycho/Scream "kill the big star in the first reel" deal.

I heard that comparison and thought it a fairly daring move if they had.  But that’s not how it works, I’m guessing.

It’s like a double KO finish.  You do it once a generation.

• Like 1

Same, probably some culture clash bs bigots are trying to push. I know they did it last week.

As for episode 3 I dug it.

Spoiler

I liked getting to see more of what I'm pretty sure is the Nightsisters culture. Was not expecting the twins to come from there or to get a full episode on the past so quickly. I'm assuming while Mae started the fire it was the Jedi who killed the coven. Guessing a member from each side pushed too far and things got out of hand. It was interesting to see how pushy the Jedi were. Its weird but I always enjoy when they show the darker/greyer side of the Jedi in terms of operation/system. The base beliefs may be sound, but like any religion mistakes and/or corruption are absolutely there and made more often than they want you to believe.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 4

Oh the Jedi basically  saying "The way you use the Force doesn't match  ours and is therefore wrong" was very much cult-like behavior. I think whoever the Sith ends up being who is responsible for what happened to the Coven

James

Edited by J.H.
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The thing about a swerve is, I shouldn't see it coming so obviously. The big reveal wasn't really all that big and I doubt I'll be surprised next week when [REDACTED]. 

50+ years of comic books and pro-wrestling have taught me all to well how to sniff out a swerve

James

• Like 3

I enjoyed the series so far buy my god was this episode infuriating. 

• One (sort of) Sith can beat 8 Jedi, no problem at all. 
  • After 47 years of lore and (as far as I know) zero lightsabers being disabled by being slashed in combat, it happens 20 times in one ep.  Maybe in the 100 years between this and New Hope, the tactic was forgotten?  Or maybe lightsaber shafts were strengthened?
  • Jedi can use telekinesis, but only once in a while and only to sort of throw people, and then only a safe distance with no possibility of injury.  They can't just go ahead and break a dude's arm or maybe force a concussion and unconsciousness.  Force punch right on the button for a KO?  Never!
  • Padawan girl focusing on reading dangerous assassin, who has killed three Jedi as far as she knows, her Miranda rights before she has her handcuffed.
  • Sol can read minds but doesn't know that Mae swapped with Osha.

Don't even get me started on Mae and Osha growing into adulthood separately but both still coincidentally deciding Rick James haircuts are the right choice.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Don't even get me started on Mae and Osha growing into adulthood separately but both still coincidentally deciding Rick James haircuts are the right choice.

Deathsticks are a helluva drug!

James

• Haha 2

I've been enjoying the show so far, but I feel like I might've liked it more if I wasn't watching it week-to-week. If I saved it for a one-and-done I think it would be at least a bit better.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Travis Sheldon said:

The endings have a jilted feeling.

Not the cliffhanger effect I think they want..

I am enjoying the show overall, though.

Yeah, I'm definitely enjoying it on the whole.  It's just that watching Buckethead the Unwashed Homeless Sith whup a whole squad of Jedi right from the jump just soured me on the episode and got me in a nitpicking mood.