DVDVR Message Board

ALL ENCOMPASSING STAR WARS THREAD

RIPPA

Ok I’m caught up and after being a big fan of Rebels I thought I’d have more attachment to these characters but I don’t? And that’s ok! They’re their own thing! In this thing there’s been some realizations I’ve had that explain everything:

Ahsoka - she’s seriously stoned in every scene. She high. Walks around saying pseudo intellectual shit, doesn’t hardly react to anything or anyone ever, sure she can fight when she has to but does she really have to?

Baylon or whatever - grandpa sith. He’s not evil per se, but he’s gotta do his duty, you dumb millennials don’t even understand.

Shin - MURDER HOBO.

• Thanks 1

I think Sabine is sufficiently Sabine-y even if maybe she's not as far at the end of her character arc as she had been in Rebels? I have no idea what to make of Hera, frankly. Hera always came off as tough as nails and badass and no nonsense and someone you didn't want to cross, the adult in the room who was going to kick the butt of Zeb and Ezra when they got in trouble and she's coming off as soft and passive and tired and milquetoast here. Whereas Ahsoka isn't nearly as wry as she should be.

But that episode was sort of the anti-Andor in the best way. There's room enough for both things in Star Wars so long as both are done well.

• Like 1

Hera to me comes across more or less how she did in Rebels. If it feels jarring to any degree its more because of the different actresses than anything else. Sabine feels a bit different but still mostly in line with what she was back then. Ahsoka feels like she is trying too hard to play the master role for Sabine. That feels like its on purpose. 

17 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

Ok I’m caught up and after being a big fan of Rebels I thought I’d have more attachment to these characters but I don’t? And that’s ok! They’re their own thing! In this thing there’s been some realizations I’ve had that explain everything:

Ahsoka - she’s seriously stoned in every scene. She high. Walks around saying pseudo intellectual shit, doesn’t hardly react to anything or anyone ever, sure she can fight when she has to but does she really have to?

She's depressed as fuck, and still in denial about what happened to Anakin.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Eivion said:

Hera to me comes across more or less how she did in Rebels. If it feels jarring to any degree its more because of the different actresses than anything else. Sabine feels a bit different but still mostly in line with what she was back then. Ahsoka feels like she is trying too hard to play the master role for Sabine. That feels like its on purpose. 

I can buy that being a mom has mellowed Hera.

• Like 3

Loved episode 5. It was exactly what I expected which is funny considering how many thought it would tie back into Mortis from Clone Wars. It's a shame that Hera is gone for now. Guessing she won't be back until a theoretical season 2.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Loved episode 5. It was exactly what I expected which is funny considering how many thought it would tie back into Mortis from Clone Wars. It's a shame that Hera is gone for now. Guessing she won't be back until a theoretical season 2.

Or the crossover movie more likely

James

I know people were making faces at Anakin's look at the end of episode 4, but honestly, it works for me with what is going on in this episode.

Spoiler

The point she needed to get past was about how stuck she was, so, yes, making him look young, and slightly wrongly young, is a perfect way to show it.

I was absolutely giddy the whole episode. I sure hope Jacen is never seen by Luke. 😛

Loved episode six.

Spoiler

Thrawn's entrance was wonderful. Sabine and Ezra meeting again was just pure joy and so perfectly executed.

Was nice to see an explanation of how Elsbeth was keeping contact and get a hint of what Baylan is after.

• Like 2

I guess seeing Clone Wars and Rebels is needed because this is all very boring to me.  Don't care about most of these characters.  The best one, Baylan, unfortunately, won't be back.  The fights are lackluster at best (my goodness can they ever hire good stunt coordinators?) and nobody since ROTJ (maybe Rogue One) can do a space battle well.  Is anyone aware there is a Z-axis and it's possible to hover a ship?  I don't see how they will be able to make the movie interesting when everything leading up to it is so mediocre.  

• Like 1

On 9/21/2023 at 5:56 AM, RandomAct said:

I mentioned this on my FB page last week, but my big takeaway from Ahsoka, is that I am far more interested in what it can potentially setup, than what they are showing me directly.

I’ll be slightly amused/depressed when the Filoni movie “underperforms” at the box office because it’s going to be more niche than what people claim the MCU, but it’s going to be right up my alley so I can’t wait.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

I’ll be slightly amused/depressed when the Filoni movie “underperforms” at the box office because it’s going to be more niche than what people claim the MCU, but it’s going to be right up my alley so I can’t wait.

Totally.  I couldn’t give two shits if the rest of the world doesn’t catch up.

”You say you like the Star War?  Then fucking watch it”.

• Like 4

I finally got around to finishing Andor, and man, we need more of this.  Well, not necessarily just this, per se, but things put together like it, like there's a real price to the things that are moving.  Both what I expected it to be and also not at all what I expected, and it felt like it had some filler with so many eps - mostly the prison's early exposition.  But my biggest structural problem with it was featuring Denise Gough so prominently, since every time she said something snide and cutting to someone, I kept expecting her to follow it up a few beats later with the filthiest, horniest thing you've ever heard, and of course that doesn't happen...

This is the best thing Stellan has done in years and years; his kids were acting circles around him for 10 years, and neither Bill nor Alex are exactly consistent stalwarts in that arena.  But when the old man had to bring it, by FSM did he bring it.  Same for Andy Serkis by the time that arc has to wrap.  I'm not as sold on the whole Mon Mothma arc, as it just feels unclear how any of that is going to meaningfully pay off with respect to the rest, short of something horrendously drastic (and my interest in SW properties is, um, low at best, given the quality of the last 2 trilogies, so it's not like I know if they do anything long-term with the character even though the name seems familiar).  But I'm looking forward to the second season. 

• Like 1

Ok, Ahsoka only end in 1 of 2 ways in my head.

1. Thrawn wins, escapes to New Republic space and starts a new war between the Republic and the Imperial Remants. Ahsoka, Ezra and Sabine end up stranded on Peridea

or

2. Thrawn wins, escapes to New Republic space and starts a new war between the Republic and the Imperial Remnants . Thrawn  ends up captuing  Ahsoka, Ezra and Sabine and holding them prisoner. Baylan Skoll bites after his apprentice betrays him to go be Thrawn's lackey.

This show is just table setting it seems, for the big crossover movie directed by Filoni (I'm assuming). I'm assuming Mando S4 will be the final show before that goes down.

James

• Like 2