DVDVR Message Board

ALL ENCOMPASSING STAR WARS THREAD

RIPPA

On 11/2/2022 at 6:52 PM, Ultimo Necro said:

I’ve been watching the Beatles Get Back thing recently and Paul McCartney and Andor are not a million miles away from each other.

Please explain.

Oh, wait. Do you mean in appearance?

I read this as you comparing the documentary to the show and was very intrigued how you got there.

Edited by Log
Misread the original post.

Disney pretty clearly only gave the first 2-3 episodes to their marketing and merchandising partners without any clue about where the series was going, so we're ending up with gems like these:

https://twitter.com/ZipRecruiter/status/1580951970713546752?s=20&t=DY4VeX0bm3e4PQHrzOiGHQ

Someone needs to recut this but with scenes from the factory prison.

• Haha 2

On 11/12/2022 at 3:36 PM, Zimbra said:

Disney pretty clearly only gave the first 2-3 episodes to their marketing and merchandising partners without any clue about where the series was going, so we're ending up with gems like these:

https://twitter.com/ZipRecruiter/status/1580951970713546752?s=20&t=DY4VeX0bm3e4PQHrzOiGHQ

Someone needs to recut this but with scenes from the factory prison.

Or you know, Luthen and his group conspiring to kill Andor for knowing too much. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Would you you drag his flailing carcass across the ocean to keep him from drowning though?

Seriously, there's a prison in the middle of the ocean and you're telling me there's not one life jacket?  Not one inflatable raft?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Seriously, there's a prison in the middle of the ocean and you're telling me there's not one life jacket?  Not one inflatable raft?

This prison is run by an organization that doesn't believe in guard rails on walkways and platforms over seemingly bottomless pits.  I'd be more surprised if there WERE life rafts there.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

I would've jumped with Kino and told him not to thrash around the water or like tried to help him at least. 

One thing I have been digging about Andor is the little things we keep learning about the universe and how it shapes the characters beyond the usual broad strokes of the evil Empire. The scene with Luthen and Saw was interesting to since it points to Saw's importance in Luthen's mind compared to other rebel cell leaders.

• Like 1

Thought the finale was an excellent conclusion with everything built coming together well. Was nice to see the post credit scene confirm what most probably suspected already. It continues to tie into Rogue One well in that respect.

• Like 2

I'd put that finale up against any bit of prestige drama on tv at the moment. Unbelievably gripping and dramatic.

Just an all around excellent season of television, that, as I stated before, blew away every expectation I could have had.  I still love that you can go into this knowing absolutely nothing about Star Wars, and come away with a great experience. They tell you what you need to know. A) there is an empire that is becoming more fascist with each passing day, and 2) there is a grassroots rebellion bubbling up.

I love that we saw what the early stages of the Rebellion looked like, with double crosses and espionage. Early heroes that very clearly won't even make it to the time of the Battle of Yavin.

They gave me a droid with an existential crisis, that somehow became the most human character in that universe.

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

It took me a few teies to get through the first episode (kerping up with a 4 year old who only wants to watch Ryan's World and Blippi saps a man's en÷gy) but finally binged the whole series over 2 nights 10 days ago. 

Mam did I like this. It's Star Wars via Le Carre and it was gripping. Andy Serkis needs fuckin Emmy because he was EPIC!

It's going to be a long wait for S2

James

• Like 3

I feel like Andy Serkis is a really underrated actor, and he gets overlooked a lot because he did a ton of work with CG Motion capture for many years. 

But he was easily a standout in The Batman to me, Andor, and that's him getting a chance to work without any special bells and whistles for once.

I was a low voter on ROGUE ONE, so I had next to zero interest in ANDOR when it was announced. And the increasingly poor quality of Disney+ original series certainly didn’t fill me with optimism about it.

But I finally caught up on it when we re-subbed to D+ for the holidays, and this was the best Star Wars thing in 40 years. And I say that as someone who was the highest voter on THE LAST JEDI.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/16/2022 at 9:31 AM, Raziel said:

This prison is run by an organization that doesn't believe in guard rails on walkways and platforms over seemingly bottomless pits.  I'd be more surprised if there WERE life rafts there.

The Death Star had no security railings or tether points for the Tractor Beam station, mutant creatures living in the garbage compactor, and you could fire a proton torpedo directly into the generator via an exhaust port and blow the whole damned thing to bits.  Since when have the bad guys in Star Wars ever been concerned with safety?

Edited by J.T.
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Did they safely dip Han in Carbonite? 

No, Han was the test run for Luke.   The techs were genuinely surprised that Han survived.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3