DVDVR Message Board

Raw Happened On Halloween - 10/31/16

Dolfan in NYC

16 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Bayley basically got squashed by Nia Jax and I have no idea what to make of it. Odd. Unexpected.

Not really. It's completely expected. Take what worked and was over in nxt and turn it to shit.

I think I need a long break from Raw, which is ashame. They have a stacked roster, but by the end of the show, I feel like I wasted my time.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

At this rate, Bayley will be dead in the water by the end of the year. I wouldn't be surprised if they sent her back to NXT for repackaging after the Rumble.

That would be a shame. I maybe alone, but I prefer her to Sasha.

Rich Swann is the guy who's getting the next shot at the cruiserweight title. He already has a win over Kendrick which has been brought up, he's on a roll in the division and he also interacted with Booker on the preshow and then in the post show Booker had the exact opposite interaction with Kendrick.

Bayley's promo work was really bad but I don't think having her overcome Nia before taking on Charlotte is the worst direction. It'd help if Nia was over but options are limited. Plus they have so many weeks to kill before the next RAW PPV.

The real good news from RAW was BRAUN STROWMAN being on the Survivor Series team. I thought his exchange with Sami was really good too.

Bayley's an underdog. She's *THE* underdog. Underdog's lose and then have to fight from underneath. Bayley lost a ton of matches in NXT. She lost to Nia Jax. She essentially was squashed out of the promotion by Asuka.

Bayley's just fine. She's an incredibly talented performer. But for her to work, she has to lose. And sometimes she has to lose in a one-sided match. That will make her rematch win over Nia that much more impressive.

• Like 1

I wasn't paying much attention to Raw due to work being busy, but what I did see didn't look all that memorable.

New Day's many faces of Charles Wright costumes were funny, but everything else about their segment was cringe worthy.  

We're deep into the quarterly "build Russev up for a few weeks only to job him out and make him look like a chump" time once again.

I watched just enough of RAW to feel nostalgic for days when Cactus Jack Manson just had a match with Gary Young and didn't say much, and I could watch a whole battle royal or 6 man cruiser match without a commercial interruption.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

New Day's many faces of Charles Wright costumes were funny, but everything else about their segment was cringe worthy.

Agreed. I felt the same way. Their act feels so stale most of the time that I just want them to lose the titles and they break them up and give Big E a decent singles run as he's the better of the 3 in the ring imo.

They won't break up the New Day this year. Kofi's gotta do his Rumble spot, and I think it'll be him landing on a box of Booty O's held up by his BFFs after they get tossed out by Stroman.

Bayley losing tonight was fine. Nia is a monster that is undefeated to most of the WWE universe, and Bayley is nursing an injured shoulder. The match was nice  with Bayley still getting her moments. Charlotte was nice on commentary actually talking Bayley up a few times. I thought this was much better than the loss to Dana a few weeks back.

Roman/Jericho was much better than I expected.

So are there going to be any title defenses at SS?

1 hour ago, Greggulator said:

Bayley's an underdog. She's *THE* underdog. Underdog's lose and then have to fight from underneath. Bayley lost a ton of matches in NXT. She lost to Nia Jax. She essentially was squashed out of the promotion by Asuka.

Bayley's just fine. She's an incredibly talented performer. But for her to work, she has to lose. And sometimes she has to lose in a one-sided match. That will make her rematch win over Nia that much more impressive.

You know what? Thank you.   Bayley coming in and becoming this world beater is literally the opposite of who she is supposed to be.  She's SUPPOSED to get her ass kicked.  She's SUPPOSED to be a loser that we all rally behind. Bringing her in as the underdog who doesn't lose makes no fucking sense.  She has to be someone WWE has given up on before she becomes someone.

And she should never have beaten Nia Jax in NXT.  For the eventual storyline it was meaningless.  Nia should have beaten Bayley, Asuka beats Nia, Asuka sends Bayley to NXT, and now you have three storylines.  But Bayley's already beaten Nia, and so has Asuka, so it's just a formality.

• Like 2

He seems like less of a weird fake mannequin with his natural eye color to me honestly.

Shout outs to Corey as David S. Pumpkins and before Xavier and Kofi showed up, I had no idea that Big E was playing Kama Mustafa. Between this and Cole calling Lesnar "The Supreme Fighting Machine" a few weeks ago, is this the most Kama we've had on WWE TV in 18 years?

• Like 1

I just got back from the show.  This was a very fun RAW to attend for about two hours. Around the 10pm mark I started checking out.

I was surprised how many empty seats there were.  There were so many empty seats around ringside they allowed people to move up.  The Halloween costumes were interesting.  A million Nikki Bellas in the crowd. There was a pretty good Iron Sheik.  A decent Papa Shango also.

One of my highlights of the night other than the awesome Goldberg opening was sitting within 5-10 feet of Jojo Offerman. My lord is she beautiful.

Superstars:

Alicia Fox over Dana Brooke. Surprised by that.   Also Curtis Axel defeated Jinder Mahal with a Perfect Plex

The dark match was Owens and Seth Rollins.  It was maybe 10 minutes but it was decent

Wow, parts of this show were a real chore to sit through and that wasn't just because of the actual pain I was in. Brian Kendrick, Chris Jericho and Kevin Owens are the best heels on the show. Kendrick coming out and logically explaining how he suckered TJP into losing the title was some great stuff. All that was missing was him saying "I'm smarter than you". The Cruiserweights desperately need some distinction. Perkins and Swann can be great anchors as faces. Kendrick and maybe Tony Neece as the heels, but everyone else is just there. I really wish they would stop with the stupid purple ropes. It makes no sense to change it twice a show.

Owens and Jericho were great in the little segment with Foley where they were egging him on about losing all his cell matches. Foley gets way too passionate and wound up in his responses though and it's just him yelling like last week with him and Sasha and Charlotte.

Speaking of Charlotte, according to Meltzer they're moving up Charlotte and Bayley so I guess that's why now we're gonna get a couple months of Charlotte bullying her before she gets her big match at the Royal Rumble I would hope. Hopefully they let Bayley/Nia at least have a match in between. The two matches they had in NXT were pretty good when Bayley was allowed to be Sting to Nia's Vader.

Jericho/Reigns was all right till the predictable ending. I saw someone say RAW is Nitro. This was very much an episode of Nitro. I wouldn't be surprised if they're just rehashing Nitro scripts at this point.

29 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

Hopefully they let Bayley/Nia at least have a match in between. The two matches they had in NXT were pretty good when Bayley was allowed to be Sting to Nia's Vader.

I hope not. I really don't need Bayley beating Nia way too early again like in NXT.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sydneybrown said:

You know what? Thank you.   Bayley coming in and becoming this world beater is literally the opposite of who she is supposed to be.  She's SUPPOSED to get her ass kicked.  She's SUPPOSED to be a loser that we all rally behind. Bringing her in as the underdog who doesn't lose makes no fucking sense.  She has to be someone WWE has given up on before she becomes someone.

And she should never have beaten Nia Jax in NXT.  For the eventual storyline it was meaningless.  Nia should have beaten Bayley, Asuka beats Nia, Asuka sends Bayley to NXT, and now you have three storylines.  But Bayley's already beaten Nia, and so has Asuka, so it's just a formality.

It's also not like she was squashed either- she put up a fight then lost.

Also remember, this is how they built Bryan up in NXT all those years ago- they had him lose in competitive matches against the top guys to establish himself as an underdog.

Also got to see how much Nia improved.  That said, this is WWE, so I expect them to screw up how they should do it now, but the formula they're doing can work.  Raw's been Nitro for the past 2-3 years anyways.