DVDVR Message Board

NFL OFF FIELD ISSUES

RIPPA

3 hours ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

I read it somewhere, maybe here, that Mike Tomlin should be considered one of the greatest coaches of all time for keeping AB's crazy in check for as long as he did

I don't know if I said it here,  but I honestly believe that his Hall of Fame plaque should say,  "None of you had any idea Antonio Brown was crazy while I coaches him."  It should be the first line and I'd be 100% OK with it being the only line. It literally says everything you need to know about Tomlin as a coach. Antonio Brown would have been an easy 1st ballot hall of fame receiver if he didn't piss Tomlin off by live streaming in the locker room.

One other thing about Antonio Brown. He's legit the only receiver who I thought could have challenged some of Jerry Rice's numbers. I read some article at his peak and they broke down the stats and he was the best receiver in the league by far by every metric. He was the best deep threat,  the best in short routes,  the best intermediate route runner,  the best down the sideline,  in the seam,  and across the middle. There was nothing he could not do... except act right. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

I don't know if I said it here,  but I honestly believe that his Hall of Fame plaque should say,  "None of you had any idea Antonio Brown was crazy while I coaches him."  It should be the first line and I'd be 100% OK with it being the only line. It literally says everything you need to know about Tomlin as a coach. Antonio Brown would have been an easy 1st ballot hall of fame receiver if he didn't piss Tomlin off by live streaming in the locker room.

One other thing about Antonio Brown. He's legit the only receiver who I thought could have challenged some of Jerry Rice's numbers. I read some article at his peak and they broke down the stats and he was the best receiver in the league by far by every metric. He was the best deep threat,  the best in short routes,  the best intermediate route runner,  the best down the sideline,  in the seam,  and across the middle. There was nothing he could not do... except act right. 

He was ridiculously good. From 2013-2015, he averaged 125 receptions and 1677 yards. 

• Like 1

Brown wasn't as major a recruit as you might think. He applied to Florida State and was denied due to academics, but I don't think he had a scholarship offer. Tried to get into Alcorn State, also denied. Went to a juco, finally got accepted at Florida International... Then was kicked out after getting into a fight with security before he ever played for them. He was also playing QB at the juco school. There's a decent chance he would've landed at West Virginia but then Butch Jones left as their WR coaches to take the CMU head job and offered Brown.

He was great at CMU, but he still wasn't a hot NFL draft prospect. It was generally felt he would be a good returned and maybe a gunner on the kick and punt teams. Nobody saw him as a guy that would even get reps at receiver unless there were injuries. Pittsburgh absolutely stole him as a sixth round pick, and got about as much out of him as possible before they cut him loose and... Well Brady got one relatively sane year from him the rest of his career.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think the dude got caught up in the moment. For some reason, I thought he got banned from NFL sidelines, but I see that it’s just a season suspension. Maybe they give him another shot with the understanding that another incident gets him banned for good?

I suppose I cut him a little slack since he’s not a journalist per se. He’s basically doing promotional work for the league. 

6 minutes ago, Mister TV said:

Nah, photographers shouldn't be jumping around and acting like a fool on the sidelines. I also don't but the "it wasn't planned" bs.

Cool.  Let's ban the Cowboys workers that cooked these turkey legs too:

Premeditated celebration with props.  Seems good enough to me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mister TV said:

Nah, photographers shouldn't be jumping around and acting like a fool on the sidelines. I also don't but the "it wasn't planned" bs.

Yeah, I tend to agree. And it was definitely planned. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

So remember all those weird statements by Jim Irsay this past season?

https://www.tmz.com/2024/01/17/jim-irsay-found-unresponsive-blue-suspected-overdose-december-cops-say/

Jim Irsay was found laying in his bed unresponsive, cold to the touch and gasping for air during a suspected overdose in December ... this according to police in Indiana.

Carmel Police Department documents, obtained by TMZ Sports, show cops were dispatched to Irsay's Carmel residence on Dec. 8 at around 4:30 AM ... after someone said they had found the Indianapolis Colts owner unconscious on a bathroom floor with a blue skin tone.

When police first arrived on the scene, they say Irsay had been moved to his bed ... where he was struggling to breathe and had a weak pulse and constricted pupils.

• 3 weeks later...

The Jaguars are fighting with FanDuel for the return of more than $20m. Yes, $20m. The money was stolen from the team by an employee who used a team virtual credit card to bet on daily fantasy. FanDuel, for the moment, has told the Jags to GTFO. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39444143/jacksonville-jaguars-fanduel-amit-patel-stolen-millions

Edited by Tabe

15 hours ago, Tabe said:

The Jaguars are fighting with FanDuel for the return of more than $20m. Yes, $20m. The money was stolen from the team by an employee who used a team virtual credit card to bet on daily fantasy. FanDuel, for the moment, has told the Jags to GTFO. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39444143/jacksonville-jaguars-fanduel-amit-patel-stolen-millions

Orange Cassidy grabbed Tony's phone, didn't he?

• Haha 1

A shooting has been reported at the Chiefs' Super Bowl victory parade.  

Police indicate multiple injuries.  At least two people have been arrested. 

not football related, but the Royals rolled out a proposal for a downtown KC ballpark yesterday... so... the vote to essentially open the door for that ballpark is in April

the same vote includes some Chiefs stuff because the Royals couldn't get their stuff passed on their own