DVDVR Message Board

NFL OFF FIELD ISSUES

RIPPA

I guess OJ is one of those deaths where there’s probably not a lot of news of the “waiting for him to die to not get sued” variety because I mean what else could there be that wasn’t already an accusation while he was alive?

6 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

The Bills sorta dodged one by never retiring OJ’s number during the 15 years in-between his retirement and arrest

Seriously, he's the best player in franchise history, and at one point was the most beloved athlete in the country.  Did they have a policy of not retiring numbers?  

@Dolfan in NYC, Dov Kleiman is clearly a moron, but the reason we cared about OJ as much or as long as we did is because of who he was before the murders.  Has any athlete in history created as wide of a range of feelings from the public as OJ Simpson?  Muhammed Ali is the only one I think is in the same stratosphere.  I know the ESPN documentary is great, but there was an older HBO documentary that illustrated how beloved OJ was by pretty much everyone but Jim Brown during his heyday.  We don't have an athlete who is more universally beloved as OJ was at his peak and we haven't since maybe Michael Phelps at his peak.  After the murder, so many of the feelings about OJ had nothing to do with OJ and whether or not he was a murderer, but how betrayed people felt for how much they loved him.  I don't think the public can be more invested in the career/life of an athlete than OJ going back to the 1960s.  He was THE superstar athlete, who was in every commercial, and was the person whom everyone looked at as the model for how professional athletes should behave.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, supremebve said:

Seriously, he's the best player in franchise history, and at one point was the most beloved athlete in the country.  Did they have a policy of not retiring numbers?  

Bills didn't retire any numbers until Jim Kelly in 2001

but OJ's number has mostly been out of circulation since he left the team

Number 32 had been withdrawn from circulation but not retired after O. J. Simpson. Former owner Ralph Wilson insisted on not reissuing the number, even after Simpson's highly publicized murder case and later robbery conviction. The number was placed back into circulation in 2019 with Senorise Perry wearing the number that year; practice squad cornerback Kyler McMichael was the last player to wear the number.

• 4 weeks later...

Harrison Butker was asked to give a commencement speech and had some things he wanted to say

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Harrison Butker was asked to give a commencement speech and had some things he wanted to say

The fact that he feels that way is bad. 

The fact that he's willing to tell everyone publicly he feels that way strikes me as likely to prove stupid.

• Like 2

Butker was in commercials 2 years ago when KS was trying to pass a question about if their state constitution allowed for abortion. So none of this is really a shock.

When it comes to athletes and political things, I work under the premise that quite a few of them have their own opinions which can differ from mine. As long as their stuff doesn't get in the way of on-field stuff, it is what it is.

Mike Sweeney was a lot nicer when he was opposing stem cell research in 2006 when it comes to KC area Super-Catholic pro athletes. At least I feel more confident in saying that Sweeney has less strongly held opinions about Vatican II than Butker might

On 5/14/2024 at 9:53 AM, RIPPA said:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 5/16/2024 at 7:26 AM, Dolfan in NYC said:

I watched his entire commencement address this morning on Benedictine College’s official YouTube account and I do not remember him saying that, or specifically addressing LGBT issues at all. Maybe I missed it or they edited it out of the video, but I don’t think the video is edited or cut short & I was paying close attention, so I dunno.  Given that he’s an outspoken old-school traditional Catholic, I wouldn’t be surprised if he did say something along those lines.

i’m rather surprised the speech has blown up the way it has.  Maybe I shouldn’t be surprised, but I don’t feel like the address was that controversial.  He has some strong views, and some of the phrasing is inflammatory, but I feel like a lot of it is being misconstrued or taken out of context.  He did say something about a lot of the students looking forward to getting married and giving birth, but it was on the middle of a thought about the importance of family and the sacrifices his mother made to raise kids.  It wasn’t a “women belong in the kitchen” thing the way it’s being portrayed, though be obviously does believe in the importance of traditional family roles.  I think his point was that there’s nothing wrong with prioritizing family and sacrificing for the betterment of kids.  I mean, I raised four daughters to be well-educated overachievers, but I’m kind of hoping they give up full-time careers when they start having kids.  My mother, wife, and most of my sisters and in-laws quit working full-time when their families started to grow and we were probably better off for it.  I’m fine with my daughters continuing to work if they want, but I’ll probably worry less about how my grandkids will grow up if they have full-time moms.  Like anything else, it’s a question of finding the right balance.

I’ve got somewhat mixed feeling about the address as a whole. On the one hand, he threw out some ideas and rhetoric I don’t want to back. On the other hand, his faith obviously means a lot to him and he’s willing to be outspoken about his beliefs.  I admire that.  The part about too many Catholics - myself included -  not being willing to stand up for their faith or defend their beliefs for fear of upsetting someone or not being popular resonates with me as it’s something I’ve thought a lot about over the past decade or so. 

• 2 weeks later...

It would be so NFL if either the Jaguars, Commanders, or McManus himself get no punishment if the story is true BUT Jacksonville could lose a draft pick for having alcohol on the team flight

11 hours ago, hammerva said:

It would be so NFL if either the Jaguars, Commanders, or McManus himself get no punishment if the story is true BUT Jacksonville could lose a draft pick for having alcohol on the team flight

Why would the Commanders get punished?  They have nothing to do with the incident.  All they did was sign the guy in the offseason before the allegations came out.