DVDVR Message Board

SMACKDOWN LIVE IS THE TALKIN' SMACK PRESHOW

piranesi

Really dug the opening here, felt like a hot start by showing the Miz/Bryan angle and then Miz delivering a really good promo. Liked Bryan's line to Shane about not getting in talent's faces when he's feuding with Brock. Ziggler was a good addition to the segment and has been killing it on the mic lately as well. It almost feels like a weird step back since they were feuding over the IC title this same time two years ago but both guys feel like they are or should be somewhat higher up now. Hopefully Miz's crusade to bring the prestige back to the IC title works. Ziggler's my guy on SDL so it's a tough spot where I want Miz to reign for a year but I'd hate to see Dolph lose yet again after SummerSlam and last week.

After the hot opening, it kind of felt like it didn't go anywhere and the show didn't have as much momentum. The Hype Bros looked fairly good for a match I initially had zero interest in. Styles/Crews was pretty fun and Crews' near fall off the catch samoan drop was cool. Carmella is coming off well in her beatdowns, though odd for that to be such a distraction/concern for Becky and Naomi since Nikki was against them just last week. I feel like Becky loses so often that she has to win the title at Backlash. Was great seeing the Headbangers for two minutes, though disappointed they had some generic theme music and didn't go over. Guessing that was for sure a one time thing.

Rhyno's facial expressions during the "at home with the Slaters" segment were gold.  The whole time he was eating the buffet and just reacting to Heath and Renee was amazing.

I know it's fantasy booking, but goddam it would be awesome if Roscoe turns out to be his neighbor Jay Roscoe and brother Chicken Roscoe.

• Like 3

That Rhyno/Slater vignette was the highlight of the show for me. Rhyno was tremendous as always, as was everyone else involved. I don't know what this says about me, but I thought Slater's "wife" was kinda hot? It's been a long time since there was a segment like this on WWE TV. Also loved Heath's delivery on the line about upgrading to a double wide.

• Like 3

Heel Carmella is so much more interesting than Face Carmella. I'm looking forward to the women's title match at Backlash. I would be okay with any of the women involved winning although Naomi is my biased favorite. 

I didn't catch any of this. Would people say that they missed the opportunity of finding some significant way of capitalizing the buzz they created last week on Talking Smack or that given the limitations inherent in the situation, they were able to transition it into an actual in-ring match as well as they realistically could?

30 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I didn't catch any of this. Would people say that they missed the opportunity of finding some significant way of capitalizing the buzz they created last week on Talking Smack or that given the limitations inherent in the situation, they were able to transition it into an actual in-ring match as well as they realistically could?

I think it was pretty well done actually.  I understand people shitting on it though because 1) we're all pretty much over Dolph 2) it's not Bryan coming back, or Joe coming in, or whatever other fantasy booking we came up with.

For a realistic follow up I thought they did a good job.  Miz has added a little unhinged fire and cut a good promo. Dolph came off as a bit more serious and they played up the coward thing well.

By the time they were done I wanted to see Miz and Dolph fight.  It was a simple and good pro wrestling build.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I guess I should mention Naomi's entrance. :wub:

If you like EDM, you'll love this.  And even if you can't stand it it's still a win.  Everybody wins!

Smackdown has been the better of the two shows, I think they're finding their groove now.  Pretty much everybody has direction and the show breezes by.  Considering Headbangers busted up both their opponents it's safe to say this is a one-off deal.  They weren't as bad as they used to be, but I'd rather not see them again.

Talkin' Smack had to be low-key compared to last week, no way should they have tried to go crazy on the show.  Heath and Rhyno were killing it on both shows, from the trailer video to Heath offering Daniel to have Brie watch his kids for a week.  Daniel's face before the offer was amazing as you could tell he thought Heath was implying a wife swap.  And I'm down with calling Heath/Rhyno Beauty and the Man-Beast.  Great stuff.  Also really enjoyed AJ as he was amusing in the selling and when he went out of character.

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

I think they missed an opportunity to give the "Bryan's defender" spot to someone new but we'll have to wait and see how this plays out. Dolph could just be the first of many guys who goes after Miz leading to someone bigger.

It was a little weird because they advertised it as "Bryan will adress his comments on Smackdown!" and that didn't happen.

And then Ziggler was out there making idiotic points

I was more offended by Apollo Crewes spelling gimmick

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sammo~! said:

Heath started bleeding from the mouth after taking The Stage Dive from Thrasher, no idea how Rhyno got busted open, one second he was fine the next half his face was covered in blood.

One of the Headbangers attacked Rhyno while he was in the corner.  I don't recall seeing blood before that, so it must have been a result of that.  One can try and make an excuse by saying they were too excited for re-appearing.  I just think it was careless and hoping that's it for them.

I don't know that they went with the wacky. I mean we got a Jesus Seam reference by AJ Styles which was something I had to look up because I know not what kids these days say. First Google hit is an urban dictionary result so yeah...thanks AJ.

9 minutes ago, Brysynner said:

I don't know that they went with the wacky. I mean we got a Jesus Seam reference by AJ Styles which was something I had to look up because I know not what kids these days say. First Google hit is an urban dictionary result so yeah...thanks AJ.

My eyes bugged out so much I thought they were going to pop out.  Not only did he say that, but it got said a few times on there.  Holy crap, AJ!

Oh man they'd never have the guts to do it, but Heath being one of Dr. D's kids would be amazing.

HEY KIDS....GRANDPAW'S HERE.

GRANDPAW

WUT THE HELL ARE YOU KIDS HOLLERIN ABOUT. DAMN IT HEATH TELL YOUR WOMAN TO GIT YOUR DADDY A BEER AND SOME CHEESE WIZ BOY.

• Like 8