DVDVR Message Board

WWE BATTLEGROUND 2016

RIPPA

8 minutes ago, Sammo~! said:

He's not a shark! He's not an avalanche, he's John Tent...Braun Strowman and he's a man!

Give him Regal's Real Man's Man gimmick in full. Music, outfit, all of it.

• Like 2

So, Cena beats Styles clean on Tuesday, faces Dean at The Summer Slam?

Or do we get Baron Corbin, # 1 contender because he outlasted Shaq in a battle royal once?

Enzo's sequence where he was facing Bullet Club all alone but was just berserk and unafraid and at first you were like, "it's because he's got Joe Pesci disease" but then after he out-maneuvers the first one and you see this look on his face and you're like "Oh, it's because he's actually not afraid of them because he's fucking smart and they're dumb!"

was really great.

• Like 5

It's Bray. He just got a big win over the near-unbeatable tag team champs. 

Those matches will be terrible, but as long as Ambrose wins clean, he'll be fine. 

Didn't care for most of this show but the last few bits delivered some good stuff. Main event was solid with a decisive finish, never thought of it as this huge epic but the feud video was well done. Cena/Styles 6 man was pretty fun and Orton had some great lines in the highlight reel. Young/Miz was one awkward ending. Wyatts/New Day picked up towards the end and delivered as well.

AJ/Dean/Cena triple threat makes the most sense to me, if for no other reason than extending the Cena/AJ feud and not going down the tired route of Cena gets his win back twice. AJ costing Cena the title leading to a visual Dean pin on Cena seems to do more favors than not. Especially in comparison to the awful alternatives.

• Like 1

Cena is winning #16.  It's not a question of if, it's a matter of when.  Personally, it doesn't bother me either way.  But the writing is on the wall.  He's going to get the belt back, likely for a short run.

I'll be super shocked if it doesn't happen.

In other news: The best part of the locker room cut-ins was seeing Lana still wearing her tiara.

• Like 1

I dug the show. All the matches were at least decent. Was great seeing Bayley debut even its only a one off for now. Wyatts/New Day was good fun. Cena/Enzo/Cass vs. the Club was good fun. Nattie/Becky would have been pretty good in front of a crowd that gave a damn about them. Owens/Zayn was great. And it was good seeing Dean take home the win. That actually have me at least curious to see where things go next for the main events of both shows..

26 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

Of course they fucked up Bayley's entrance by not actually showing her walk out.  I would expect nothing less.

To be fair, she was sent out too early. 

The pop for Bailey was amazing. I know people say this all the time but she's my "If they screw this up, I'll never forgive them" wrestler. I met her a couple times and I really hope she becomes the lady Cena.

Sami-KO and the main event were really good. Glad they put over Dean and made Roman eat a Punishment Pin. Orton's promo was....something.

• Like 3

Really good PPV.

I'm so glad Bayley made her debut. I watched the two Sasha classics today AND the Dustin/Steamboat vs. Enforcers. This match wasn't anything close to a classic or anything along those lines, but it wasn't supposed to be. It was just a really solid tag match where Sasha evened the score. This is such a great way to introduce Bayley. She's there and she's coming at some point as a hot free agent, just once the whole NXT story finishes up for her. But this was a really solid match with a fantastic entrance for Bayley.

Wyatts vs. New Day was predictably fun. Glad The Wyatts walked out with the win. Woods is such a great character actor. I loved the kneel before Zod thing before he snapped out of it and fired up.

I'll give Ryder some credit since he returned. He was absolutely insufferable when he was mega over. But he's a decent enough wrestler now, but I'm still super happy to see him tap out to Rusev. I think Mojo will be a decent enough jobber face on Smackdown.

Sami/KO... Wow. That was an absolutely perfect blow-off to the feud. It had everything a blood feud should have (if you can't use blood) -- emotion, passion, oneupmanship and a desire to hurt the other person. That was hate-filled and glorious. The end was such a great way for the hero to triumph over the man whose betrayal took several months of his livelihood form him. I loved Sami having this look of regret and pity before finishing off KO once and for all.

Becky/Nattie was a perfectly acceptable wrestling match. They tried to do something based around legwork. That match would have worked well in Full Sail but not after Sami/KO.

Young/Miz was whatever. The Young and Backlund pairing is a decent Odd Couple pairing but this was there.

Enzo and Cass had one of the best intros ever. That was spectacular and wonderful. I have a friend who has a crush on another one of my friends and it's adorable. My wife informed me of the latest in their puppy love right when this match started. We talked about that for a while, and then I had to brush my teeth and take out the garbage. I got back in time to see the end. I think the intro is all I really need since I have pretty much zero interest in anything to do with The Club.

The main event was glorious. That was a really great way to end an era of wrestling in many ways. We should have had The Shield Implodes triple threat a lot earlier but they had a bunch of injuries and other things get in the way. But this was a really great way to kick off the Raw versus Smackdown era, by finally settling the score. The first time I ever went out of my way to watch FCW was when I heard about the Ambrose/Rollins stuff. I very much loved those crazy ass early Ambrose street tough promos, too, and his feud with Dusty. We'll never know for sure, but that very well could have been when the lightbulbs went off that they could have a compelling minor league that people would want to watch. Rollins was the first NXT World Champion. The Shield had one of the best runs in WWE history. Dean's the most magnetic of the bunch. He has an "it" factor about him and gives off a vibe of danger and cool. He's like Johnny from The Outsiders -- a bad-boy with a heart, who will run into a fire if need be. It also gives Smackdown the first major victory in the rivalry between brands and a great question as to what comes next for Raw.

Really good and fun show.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, El Dragon said:

This is great. Total New Day or E/C vibe where you can tell they're real friends having a blast together. Too bad WWE doesn't have women's tag titles.

Overall this was a good show. We got Bayley of course, Zayn/Owens did their thing, and the main was solid and had the right finish. The only thing I didn't like was Cena shamelessly trying to leech Enzo's heat. Jesus John, you've been in the spotlight for 11 fucking years, sit in the corner and let the kid have a moment. I'm not sure if Darren Young confusing the cobra clutch with the crossface chickenwing is a good or bad thing, but damn I laughed my ass off at that part.

• Like 1

They did so much right tonight.  I thought it was a great show, and I literally believe Enzo and Cass have the potential to be the mainstream breakout that WWE has been so desperately craving.  John Cena looked like a nobody while Enzo was out there.  And I thought the main event booking was damn near perfect (aside from Reigns no-selling a literal career-ending move.) Everybody came out strong and Dean finally looks like a guy who's not a fluke champ.

Unfortunately three decades of being a WWE fan means I know it's a coin flip whether it all gets fucked up in the next two days...

And that Bayley pop goes in the all-time great debuts.  And I'm not even that big of a Bayley fan.  But I watched that over and over and over.

• Like 1