DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

1 hour ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Who else is he going to feud with that would be feasible at this point? Reigns-KO would be great, but Heaven help us all if Roman goes over Owens, no matter how good the match is.  And again, the Jericho feud wouldn't be the end result--just a place to pivot and see where it goes.

And where is he going to go?  I think most of us agree that New Japan would be great, but I don't see Vince allowing it.  Not sure when Reigns' current contract runs out.  I suppose NXT could be put on the table, but don't know how that would work.

I've read too many posts from booger-eaters on other sites who say they'll cheer for the guy--as soon as he turns heel.  Maybe they're just being your typical wieners, but I'm skeptical enough to think some of them would actually do that.

He isn't going to Japan and the people that keep suggesting that should accept that. NXT is even less likely. And there probably are the assholes that would cheer a heel Reigns just to be contrary, but I don't think that segment would be large enough to have any real effect on anything.

As for who he should feud with - literally any face. He can even win that way. But if he beats Jericho or Owens or Primo fuckin' Colon, the crowd will not have any of it. A turn is really the only way to salvage him. The crowd will adamantly refuse to support him for as long as he is a face.

Not exactly wrestling related, but I subscribe to BookBub, and this showed up in my e-mail today:

https://www.amazon.ca/Out-Past-Ferguson-Investigator-Suspense-ebook/dp/B00JNF95PE/168-2651701-5723423?ie=UTF8&_bbid=2122138&_bbtype=email

" Compelled by a dark secret from his past, private investigator Reed Ferguson takes on his most unique case yet: bodyguard for young, spoiled trust-fund baby Stephanie McMahon. As Reed tries to protect her from her father’s enemies, he gets more than he bargained for."

Not sure if that's more or less strange than Mark Henry, paranormal romance author.

• Like 1

Brock Lesnar Will Not Face Punishment From the WWE for Failed UFC Drug Tests

Brock Lesnar will NOT be disciplined by the WWE for his UFC 200 drug test failures ... and WILL perform at SummerSlam as planned ... TMZ Sports has learned. 

A WWE spokesperson tells us ... only full-time WWE performers are subject to the organization's wellness policy, which prohibits PEDs ... but since Brock isn't a full-time performer, he's essentially exempt.

2 hours ago, kafkonia said:

Not exactly wrestling related, but I subscribe to BookBub, and this showed up in my e-mail today:

https://www.amazon.ca/Out-Past-Ferguson-Investigator-Suspense-ebook/dp/B00JNF95PE/168-2651701-5723423?ie=UTF8&_bbid=2122138&_bbtype=email

" Compelled by a dark secret from his past, private investigator Reed Ferguson takes on his most unique case yet: bodyguard for young, spoiled trust-fund baby Stephanie McMahon. As Reed tries to protect her from her father’s enemies, he gets more than he bargained for."

$100 bucks says the guy out to get her is named "Vince"

It was announced that Shelton Benjamin will be coming back to the Smackdown brand.  I would think most of the returning veterans would go to the brand with fewer guys.

Apparently they are also running Smackdown house shows at the same time as RAW with the next show in DC.

17 minutes ago, hammerva said:

It was announced that Shelton Benjamin will be coming back to the Smackdown brand.  I would think most of the returning veterans would go to the brand with fewer guys.

Smackdown's youth movement continues. 

22 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Apparently they are also running Smackdown house shows at the same time as RAW with the next show in DC.

Yeah, they will be doing House Shows head-to-head with live Raws. Doesn't make sense for Smackdown to run Saturday/Sunday/Do nothing Monday/Live Show Tuesday.

On a side note, BOTH Cena and Orton are advertised for my town's Smackdown House Show in late-September. Cena's being a special announcement on the arena's website today.

Watching AJPW from 1994 on the youtubes. Baba is teaming with Hansen against Kawada and Taue (in the tag league)... watching this stuff 20+ years ago, Hansen seemed old as the hills, way older than the other guys in the company (meaning Misawa's generation). I just checked and he was only 45 at the time... which did make him ten-ish years older than Misawa and Kawada were. But 45 doesn't seem old now, the way it did then.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AxB said:

Watching AJPW from 1994 on the youtubes. Baba is teaming with Hansen against Kawada and Taue (in the tag league)... watching this stuff 20+ years ago, Hansen seemed old as the hills, way older than the other guys in the company (meaning Misawa's generation). I just checked and he was only 45 at the time... which did make him ten-ish years older than Misawa and Kawada were. But 45 doesn't seem old now, the way it did then.

Age is relative. How old were you when you first watched AJ circa '94 and how old are you now? 

I was 18 or so in '98 when I started trading. Seeing the "old guys" like Doc, Jumbo, and Hansen going up against the young blood. Being 45 isn't that old. Flair was still a believable champion at 45.

In all honesty, it's when I see guys like Randy Orton at 22 or whatever getting the championship. Larry Zybisco said it best - "talent is wasted on youth".

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Who else is he going to feud with that would be feasible at this point?

Have him accidentally spill coffee on Big Show, Big Show chokeslams him on the arena floor, Roman wins by DQ at SummerSlam, pins Big Show at September PPV, loses in tag match with Balor vs. Big Show/Kane at October PPV, defeats Kane in Last Man Standing match at Survivor Series, next night on Raw announces his plan to win the Royal Rumble and claim the Universal Title.

Wash, Rinse, Repeat.

I turned 20 in 1994. So that probably has a lot to do with it. It's odd, because the general consensus is Ric Flair's best year in the ring was '89, when he was 40. But in most pro athletic contests, you're an old man at 33.

• Like 2