DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

10 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I could be overstating, and correct me if I'm wrong... But, basically every woman in the WWE that has been good in this decade beginning with AJ Styles is Sara's handiwork.  

Mercury gets in for dealing with Melina for 2 years.

Both worthy entries. 

Quoting for the AJ Styles mistake. :)

Mercury belongs in for his work in J & J Security.

• Like 1

Maybe the most baffling one of those entrants in the Let's Fail to Bankrupt WWE Sweepstakes is Don Leo Jonathan. Did the Mormon Giant even work for New York?

EDIT: Close as it looks like he got was Maple Leaf Wrestling, per Wiki.

EDIT II: Whoops nope he was in the WWWF against Pedro Morales as a heel in '73

1 hour ago, JohnnyJ said:

I'm just happy Boris Zhukov isn't using his shoot name in the lawsuit. Kayfabe brotha  

In my search for the above list of names this morning one of the articles mentioned that he appears to have legally changed his name to Boris Zhukov.

1 hour ago, Go2Sleep said:

That lawsuit seems doomed because all of those guys worked for multiple promotions. WWE should have more than enough plausible deniability. Also, plaintiff credibility might be an issue.

This.  The problem with concussion lawsuits - even more than in pro sports like the NFL - is that most of these guys worked for years in other promotions before ever setting foot in the WWE, so it makes proving the extent of the damage under the WWE's watch difficult.  Raven suing WWE for causing his CTE is really random, considering how many years he worked for other promotions and how many chair shots he took prior to the WWE.  A judge or jury is going to watch footage of ECW and reasonably conclude that Raven probably suffered a lot of the brain damage long before he stepped into a WWE ring. 

I feel like, in most cases, these lawsuits aren't winnable (unless the WWE feels they have to settle to avoid bad publicity).

10 minutes ago, Vader does my taxes! said:

This.  The problem with concussion lawsuits - even more than in pro sports like the NFL - is that most of these guys worked for years in other promotions before ever setting foot in the WWE, so it makes proving the extent of the damage under the WWE's watch difficult.  Raven suing WWE for causing his CTE is really random, considering how many years he worked for other promotions and how many chair shots he took prior to the WWE.  A judge or jury is going to watch footage of ECW and reasonably conclude that Raven probably suffered a lot of the brain damage long before he stepped into a WWE ring. 

I feel like, in most cases, these lawsuits aren't winnable (unless the WWE feels they have to settle to avoid bad publicity).

....and how many times did these guys willingly take chair shots to the head?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DTTW said:

I'm not hip...what has Sara Del Ray done to warrant such praise and ditto for Mercury? I'm aware both are behind the scenes people now and that's about it.

Sara would be the best wrestler out of any of the women in the HoF...which I now realize after looking up the list to make sure they didn't slip in Aja or Hokuto or something and I forgot is alarmingly faint praise.

Also yeah, what she's done behind the scenes has been pretty big.

• Like 1

Despite vowing to get to the bottom of the issue after being flagged by USADA for a potential anti-doping violation it seems that things are getting worse for Brock Lesnar.

The UFC released a statement on Tuesday afternoon saying that they have been informed by USADA that Lesnar has failed his in-competition test taken on the night of UFC 200 for the same substance that caused the previous flagging.

Lance Pugmire of the LA Times tweeted that an official with knowledge of the situation told him that the substance that caused the failure is clomiphene, which also caused Jon Jones' test failure. Estrogen blockers like clomiphene are commonly used when cycling off of steroids. 

The statement from the UFC says:

"The UFC organization was notified today that the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) has informed Brock Lesnar that his in-competition sample collection from July 9, 2016, at UFC 200, has tested positive for the same substance as his previously announced out-of-competition collection on June 28, 2016.  

“USADA, the independent administrator of the UFC Anti-Doping Policy, will handle the results management and appropriate adjudication of this case. It is important to note that, under the UFC Anti-Doping Policy, there is a full fair legal review process that is afforded to all athletes before any sanctions are imposed. The Nevada State Athletic Commission also retains jurisdiction over this matter as the sample collection was performed at UFC 200 in Las Vegas. 

“Consistent with all previous potential anti-doping violations, additional information will be provided at the appropriate time as the process moves forward."

A possible two-year suspension for performance-enhancing drugs could have ended Lesnar's mixed martial arts career right as it began again anyway, but another failure is likely to increase pressure on WWE to further respond to the situation.

And it again calls into question whether Lesnar is being tested under their policy. The WWE drug testing policy says "all WWE Talent under contract to WWE who regularly perform in-ring service" are subject to testing, but it does not define what constitutes regular performance.

The WWE drug testing policy explicitly bans anti-estrogen substances:

"The non-medical use of drugs belonging to this class, including, but not limited to, anastrozole, letrozole, aminooglutethimide exemestane, formestane, testolactone, raloxifene, tamoxifen, toremifene, clomiphene, cyclofenil and fulvestrant, are prohibited."

While  in the CWC folder i got to thinking about Kendrick and London and then Bryan and the Lance Cade and realized I want a 30 for 30 or similar documentary about the TWA guys. So much potential but so many issues.

5 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

That lawsuit seems doomed because all of those guys worked for multiple promotions. WWE should have more than enough plausible deniability. Also, plaintiff credibility might be an issue.

Not only did many of them work for different promotions but many of them are still working!  So obviously they will argue their brains are so fucked up that they have to keep doing the thing that fucked their brain up to begin with.

Sabu worked less than a full yr with WWE and the piece of garbage wants to go and try to collect a handout.

Lou Marconi was a jobber for a handful of matches  he is known in Cleveland and Pittsburgh but nobody else knows who the guy is.  He is involved in this.

What a waste of the courts time. 

38 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Lou Marconi was a jobber for a handful of matches  he is known in Cleveland and Pittsburgh but nobody else knows who the guy is.  He is involved in this.

Does have one of wrestling's greatest nicknames of all-time... "Beef Stew" Lou Marconi.

On a separate note, Meltzer confirming tonight that Sin Cara and Simon Gotch got in to a shoot fight backstage tonight. Says he'll have more details later.

Edit: Sorry Rippa, didn't see this in the Brand Split thread.

48 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

God damn, Jerry Lawler is unbearable. Can he get drafted to TNA's storage locker/office, but kept away from anything to do with the Hardy's?

I know it's common knowledge at this point, but after not really watching Smackdown, hearing him tonight is the absolute worst. Like, just.......the worst. 

Mauro has been awesome. I like how he, in a certain way, seems to be calling this as if Cole and King aren't even there. It's like the audio is messed up and you're accidentally getting two feeds. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

I know it's common knowledge at this point, but after not really watching Smackdown, hearing him tonight is the absolute worst. Like, just.......the worst. 

Mauro has been awesome. I like how he, in a certain way, seems to be calling this as if Cole and King aren't even there. It's like the audio is messed up and you're accidentally getting two audio feeds. 

It is awful seeing him back on the air.

16 minutes ago, evilwaldo said:

It is awful seeing him back on the air.

There aren't enough words to describe how bad he really is. If I had to listen to Jerry Lawler on a daily basis, I'd just say fuck it and off myself. 

• Like 3

You know if wrestlers just joined SAG or AFTRA back in the day when they had the chance, they'd have insurance, pensions, all that good stuff. But nope. They didn't want to and here we are with all these guys leeching onto some ambulance chaser. Some probably have a legitmate claim to make while others are just looking for a quick buck because the fan festival racket is drying up.

The WWE is probably going to have to do a couple of things here. One, scale back on shows just so guys stop becoming dope fiends. In today's market there's no real need for them to be running 300 plus shows and these guys into the ground. It's really a miracle more major injures like Rollin's freak knee blow out don't happen.

They'll have to set up a fund for retired wrestlers. Obviously they don't have NFL money, but it needs to be something to show they aren't heartless monsters. I'm sure NBC could figure that out for them. The old guys get a small quartley check. The WWE looks good in the public eye again. Problem solved.

I asked this before, but are people sure everyone named in this suit is actually aware of it? I've actually been involved in several class action suits, and I never talked to any of the lawyers responsible for them. All they did was put my name on the list and then send me an e-mail or letter telling me how I could take myself off of it. I can see a lot of these guys having just never received or read the letter/e-mail that was supposed to make them aware of the lawsuit.

3 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I asked this before, but are people sure everyone named in this suit is actually aware of it? I've actually been involved in several class action suits, and I never talked to any of the lawyers responsible for them. All they did was put my name on the list and then send me an e-mail or letter telling me how I could take myself off of it. I can see a lot of these guys having just never received or read the letter/e-mail that was supposed to make them aware of the lawsuit.

this was one of my first thoughts as well.

• Like 1