DVDVR Message Board

RAW - May 16, 2016

Dolfan in NYC

After that main event I'd rather see Charlotte beat the snot out of Stephanie than watch her beat Nattie for the umpteenth time. I'd also rather watch 85 year old Ric Flair out crazy Shane McMahon. 

Rusev's Accolade on poor little Kallisto has to be the best one he's ever done. Other than that the best Accolade was the one Summer Rae did on Lana, but for different leg related reasons. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

So Moppy survived Raven putting her in the wood chipper? Now I'm going to be waiting for a Saturn run-in when Jericho threatens to break the mop on Sunday.

Goth Saturn in his chain mail dress, tons of black eyeliner, and weird contact lenses. Hell, Raven should be running in as well. 

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

And boy howdy did the Colons come out to no reaction

The best I got is that the Colons are being used in a long game to get a Lin-Manuel Miranda Raw hosting commit (or someone in creative is just out to score Hamilton tickets).

The New Day segment was gold.  What might have been, Kofi...

I really liked that main event contract signing. It's amazing how much better Charlotte is at playing spoiled, entitled heel than face. The role fits her well and she comes off as far more confident. This segment was better than the one she did with Paige a while ago. It's too bad that this Nattie deal is just a time waster until Sasha. It would be cool to see her get the belt off of Charlotte, even if for just a quickie reign. 

Not sure what's up with Dana Brooke. I enjoyed her in NXT but mainly as a duo with Emma. She is far better as a second and less exposed in shorter as well as tag matches. I don't know where this thing with Becky is going but it doesn't feel like it's going anywhere good lol 

9 hours ago, Fallacy! said:

I would give the Colon's a few more weeks. I don't think their vignettes really gave any idea about what the fuck their gimmick actually is, and whether they are supposed to be faces or heels. It was super vague and devoid of any sort of useful information about them as a team aside from where they're from. 

I mean, in most of those vignettes they basically said "Puerto Rico is great and wherever you are from is garbage". Were you also unclear as to whether The Iron Sheik was a face or a heel?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Charlie M. said:

Why? They're making good money and in a top program in WWE. Gallows is a marginal wrestler at best and Anderson is old and wants to be at home.

They could have taken the TNA offer...

Exactly.  I just listened to them on Jericho's podcast and it really came off like they were sick of flying back and forth to Japan constantly.  So now they're paid well, working in their home country and, as you mentioned, they're in a major program.  Oh noes, they're jobbing!  That's what everybody in WWE does.  Who cares?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Trocar Slush Weasel said:

MVP of the show is once again Kevin Owens.  When Shane made the Miz/KO vs Sami/Cesaro match, I was just thinking "Not again".  Then KO saved the day, "He's the worst one.  YOU GAVE ME THE WORST ONE".  Then of course, Steph saved it even more.

I also loved "I won too!" 

• Like 1

If creative decided to pivot and wanted to make Big Cass "the man" by putting the title on him at Summerslam, I would not be mad at all.

I can't believe I went from having such an insane love for Enzo and Cass, while detesting how wooden Cass was in the ring and on the mic, to really liking Cass' work. I think this was the exact moment everything changed for how much I liked the Cass portion of the team.

I'm a little concerned based on Cass's promos that he might get repackaged as That 90s Guy.

"Cass, are you voting for Clinton this year?"

"After seeing him play the sax on Arsenio last night? You know it." 

I was shocked they brought Dana up to the main roster immediately after her injury.  She was JUST starting to get her act together in the ring before she got injured, and I can't imagine the long layoff helped her development any.

If I was them, after the Emma injury, I would have quietly forgotten about the whole angle, or let Becky dispense with Dana in a quick one-off match, and then sent her back to NXT.  I definitely would NOT have put her over Becky clean in her first match.

Dana doesn't even look physically ready to be out there right now.

Seeing the Warriors job in game one was easily worth missing most of Raw for. I like Dana, but she needs another 6 months to a year in NXT to work on her in ring game. Becky was busting her ass trying to make something of that match, and she's way too good to be used as a glorified jobber for green workers.

1 hour ago, JRGoldman said:

I mean, in most of those vignettes they basically said "Puerto Rico is great and wherever you are from is garbage". Were you also unclear as to whether The Iron Sheik was a face or a heel?

They're the Puerto Rican equivalent of the Fabulous Rougeau Brothers.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, nate said:

I think what makes Owens so great is that he works a huge stadium or coliseum crowd the same way he has worked armory crowds and it totally fits.

EXACTLY.  I noticed that in one of his early Raw matches.  He is 100% old school in that all his mannerisms are exaggerated as is he's "working for the back row."  It really stands out as cool and different in a company where they're all taught to ignore the crowd and only work for the camera.  What's the over/under on how long it takes Vince or He Who Shall Not Be Named to notice this and put the kibosh on it?

10 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

They're the Puerto Rican equivalent of the Fabulous Rougeau Brothers.

I'm sure the name "Shining Stars" was settled on after someone realized that having a tag team called "The Fabulous Colon Brothers" might be a little misleading, especially after the "Submission Sorority" fiasco.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

EXACTLY.  I noticed that in one of his early Raw matches.  He is 100% old school in that all his mannerisms are exaggerated as is he's "working for the back row."  It really stands out as cool and different in a company where they're all taught to ignore the crowd and only work for the camera.  What's the over/under on how long it takes Vince or He Who Shall Not Be Named to notice this and put the kibosh on it?

Wait, what? Does the ghost of Chris Benoit have some say in how matches are worked?

• Like 6

Surprised people are so lukewarm on this show, I thought it was pretty top-to-bottom entertaining.

-The New Day segment started off just terrible, but the Kofi music was fun as well as him doing a Jamaican accent again.  Then the Vaudevillains showed up and someone they made throwing a guy into a cardboard box seem like it would hurt.  Vaudevillains are a lot of fun on the main roster, more fun than they were on NXT roster.  With all the new era talk on this show, I still think WWE's going to do an Old vs. New feud and I hope Vaudevillains take up with the old.
-I'm really loving Jericho's current gimmick.  The "I'm giving you the gift of Jericho, drink it in, man" line is so great in that it's so obnoxious (Especially the 'man' thrown in at the end) and annoying that it's not going to get cheered anytime soon (Unless he goes up against Reigns) and I think Jericho's doing a tremendous job promo-wise.  Thought Ambrose's promo was fine, too.  The goofy Psycho music accompanying the cage was really silly but I also thought "You know if they gave this exact same set-up/music to something on 'Lucha Underground', we'd all be praising it..."
-Shining Stars debut was strange but okay.  Not sure why they wouldn't have called the job guys by different names ('Skyler Armstrong' and 'Chris Harris' would have fit).  As it was, it just looked like they either stole someone's tights or that one guy really liked someone named 'Skyler'.
-Not sure why people are so excited about the Usos winning?!  They've gone out of their way to put Anderson/Gallows over in that first beatdown/match and have been made to look completely inept since their debut, they had to get SOME heat back to be involved in a main event angle, otherwise it would like Styles/his boys vs. Reigns/The Killer Bs
-Dana Brooke will probably be way better off in WWE than she was in NXT.  Crowds aren't likely to start cheering for her any time soon, so she'll likely never be off TV long every time they want to build up a face woman to face Charlotte...
-Speaking of, Charlotte is so great as a heel.  Remember her promos during the Bellas/Paige angles and how BRUTAL they were?!  Now you've got her carrying a feud based off her mic-work as a heel.  She's a really great character now.

• Like 1

I was amazed that two other human beings could fit inside that box with Big E. already in there.

And if them using it means Dean has figured out Airbnb or if he was jealous.

"Yeah, that's nice, sure. I mean it's roomy.  But it's a Kenmore right? Yeah.  You gotta be careful with those.  They use sealant glue on the hinge flaps and those start to deteriorate if you're a big sweater at night...I'm lookin' at you Big E.  You really should have gone with a Maytag.  They are a little cramped but they use plastic staples to hold the edges together.  Sure that means scratches and infections but what doesn't right?  AMIRIGHT?? HAHHAHAHAHAAHHA!!!!

Seriously though, whatever you do stay away from Amana. They're soul conduits.  The only reason the company is still in business is because of the human soul sales.  But they don't turn them off or anything once they throw them out.  There's supposed to be a vocal code to activate but everything is made so shoddy today.  So one wrong move and BAM!  You're in TNA! HAHAHAHAHAHAH!

No seriously you'll be in a demon dimension where everything around you is a giant stomach and digestive system.  I will hurt.  But not as much as being in TNA right? HAHAHAHAA..

Actually yes, it's a lot worse."

• Like 1