DVDVR Message Board

RIP, Prince

Gonzo

God fucking damn it. I'm tired of this shit. Why have so many awesome entertainers died this past year? Ugh. 

He was a genius, who was as good as Hendrix, I won't argue that. It just wasn't as played up. 

He will be missed. Very.

I think what separates him from a lot of musicians with the "genius" label was that a lot of them were preternaturally gifted, but few of them were uncompromising perfectionists like Prince. The musicianship and performances were thanks to a tireless practice and rehearsal that a lot of his groups couldn't keep up with. Hell, this last group of shows with just the piano were based on 40 years of trying to master an instrument his father was brilliant at.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gonzo said:

Now I'm going to iTunes and buying this, if only for The Arms of Orion.

One of the great regrets I have is not performing this at my high school's talent show in full Keaton Batsuit. 

• Like 1

It is, in fact, playing in my office now. The Gold Experience was an underrated album.

May have to dig out the Gold CD just to listen to "Billy Jack Bitch."  It's been on my mind for a while, even before today.

• Like 2

My memories of Prince as a kid were the guy being made fun of on In Living Color for wearing the assless pants, and then later seeing a video with friends at a sleepover and thinking "whoa, we should not be seeing this". Just now MTV had on a Music Awards performance with him and it looked like Big Daddy Kane coming out for a second, with what looks like a huge orgy behind him. At the end he does the universal reference for eating pussy. THAT would have blown my mind had I seen it back then. Dirty little man!

Curt, I just saw that (Comcast's X1 system is awesome for watching TV live)  I remembered seeing that at the time and it was controversial yet got people talking for sure.  Was pretty wild, man.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, (BP) said:

I never got to see him perform live. 

I did. Diamonds and Pearls tour, at Manchester Maine Road. Great show.

I always maintained that of the 80s big 3 (Madonna, Prince, Michael Jackson) he'd go down in history as the greatest, because although they all had great charisma and presence and could renders themselves iconic, Prince could really play. Other legends surrounded themselves with greatness, Prince embodied it himself. His greatest problem was, he was too creative - if they wanted to bring out an Unreleased Prince boxset, it would need to be like 10 cds. In volume 1.

• Like 3

Really, truly love the Dirty Mind and Controversy albums.  All of his releases had integrity, even if some were more esoteric and occasionally a far cry from the funk-based pop with searing guitar that brought him to the limelight than others ('sup The Rainbow Children...which I do own).

I'll miss him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYKMis5uFv8

Forgive me for not knowing how to embed, I just had to post this before it probably gets taken down.

Purple Rain came out when I was 3 years old and it honestly took me 20 years to really appreciate how great a musician Prince truly was. A cousin of mine who watched over me and my brothers when we were really young is a huge Prince fan and I bought a whole bunch of his albums for her birthday about 12 years ago. I had liked some of his stuff after he changed his name to the The Artist/symbol, but I had never listened to his early stuff like Purple Rain until I asked my cousin if I could borrow the album out of sheer curiosity. It helped that I was growing out of my dipshit "listen only to rap and R&B" phase, so one listen and it blew my mind(and how he actually changed his sound so much through the years). I know it sounds incredibly cheesy, but I could probably listen to Purple Rain on a loop forever. The man was truly masterful at music and I hate the fact that I've never seen him play live whenever he was touring the South.

RIP Prince

• Like 1

They played his music all throughout the Cubs/Reds games tonight, including Purple Rain after Arrieta finished his no-hitter.

I'm so fucking bummed. I made the mistake of watching the Super Bowl video earlier and just lost it at the end where he thanks the crowd.

• Like 1

Purple Rain is on MTV right now. Brilliant film, like i said earlier its my favorite film ever but I think Prince's other films get overlooked. Under The Cherry moon does not get the credit it deserves.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

Purple Rain is on MTV right now. Brilliant film, like i said earlier its my favorite film ever but I think Prince's other films get overlooked. Under The Cherry moon does not get the credit it deserves.

I still remember going to see Under The Cherry Moon in the theater opening weekend.

Deadheads, like myself, all love the Dead obviously. But when it comes to what else we dig and want to play at a party, it's a total crap shoot. One of my pals always went for Marvin Gaye, another was all about TOOL, more than a few loved them some Clutch, some would play some Ramones, and some would go for G Love or 311 when they were unknown and punk.

I always went Prince.