DVDVR Message Board

Raw is McMahonaMania 2-22-16

MGFanJay

Although almost everyone in this thread agrees that Roman is in a bad spot, everyone is not agreeing on Roman himself, which is interesting.  There is a camp that seems to believe Roman Reigns just isn't very good at his job.  The other side seems to think the writers/management are more to blame for the development of his character and the storylines he has been involved in, which had lead him to this point with the audience.

I've started to think that Reigns is good at his job ... to a point. Perfectly capable in the ring. Decent worker, carryable, good at the formula.

And that's where the problem comes in. He doesn't know when or why to deviate from the formula. That applies to the overall way he's booked, too. To be a truly great wrestler (read:  "superstar"), you have to know when to tell the "creative" team and the writers to stick it (brother), or at least come up with some ideas of your own when things clearly aren't working. Roman seems to be the good solider that goes out there with a "whatever you say, boss" attitude, which seems nice on paper, but it's almost like he doesn't have a stake in his own success. Austin, Rock, etc. were creative about their characters because they were creative people who wanted to succeed. Roman either isn't creative or has no drive to break the mold. Hard to build around a guy who doesn't take ownership of what he does and, it appears, just comes to work to (Superman) punch a time clock.

I LOVE Zayn and I think kids will love him too but the question is does he have the LOOK Vince would want?  Vince hated the way Christian looked, I don't imagine he's a super fan of Sami.

It was all downhill for Sami after Vince asked someone to explain ska to him.

GOD DAMMIT SO IT'S LIKE REGGAE PLUS POLKA?  I DON'T GET IT

Titan Tower had to be closed for fire code upgrades after they tried explaining reggae to him so it's understandable.

• Like 1

Reigns was getting booed loudly by the plethora of ugly white guys with bad beards. Who are louder than the chicks and kids who were cheering him. These are the same dudes who were actually doing "Goldberg" and "Gillberg" chants at Ryback. These zeroes outnumbered the kids cause I'd imagine most parents wouldn't take their kids to a fucking shithole like Detroit. And fuck the Red Wings, too.

Damn Eye Dubya See.

Wait, what?

Shane McMahon returning is sort of interesting from the perspective that they are doing the whole worked shoot thing, but how does this really benefit WWE in the long-run?  

My problem with it is that it wasn't worked shooty enough. If you're gonna do this angle, you gotta go full measure, which means Shane-O should've hit on all these points:

• Claim to be the true architect of the Attitude Era, and thus both the savior of WWE and true conqueror of WCW.
  • Claim Steph and Hunter backstabbed and politicked him out of his spot.
  • Claim Vince was happy to give Steph his spot, partly out of jealousy over bullet point #1, and partly because Vince's ego is so great he never wants anyone to run the company better than he did, so he chose the child who would fail.
  • Bring up fan backlashes, guys getting buried for getting over on their own, say something pithy like, "I beat WCW for you, then you became WCW!"

Shane needed to go for the jugular and he didn't, and so this ends up being another lame-ass angle.

• Like 4

Reigns was getting booed loudly by the plethora of ugly white guys with bad beards. Who are louder than the chicks and kids who were cheering him. These are the same dudes who were actually doing "Goldberg" and "Gillberg" chants at Ryback. These zeroes outnumbered the kids cause I'd imagine most parents wouldn't take their kids to a fucking shithole like Detroit. And fuck the Red Wings, too.

This is some weird logic. I've seen plenty of Tigers and Red Wings games on TV and there are often tons of kids in those crowds. 

Shane McMahon returning is sort of interesting from the perspective that they are doing the whole worked shoot thing, but how does this really benefit WWE in the long-run?  

My problem with it is that it wasn't worked shooty enough. If you're gonna do this angle, you gotta go full measure, which means Shane-O should've hit on all these points:

• Claim to be the true architect of the Attitude Era, and thus both the savior of WWE and true conqueror of WCW.
  • Claim Steph and Hunter backstabbed and politicked him out of his spot.
  • Claim Vince was happy to give Steph his spot, partly out of jealousy over bullet point #1, and partly because Vince's ego is so great he never wants anyone to run the company better than he did, so he chose the child who would fail.
  • Bring up fan backlashes, guys getting buried for getting over on their own, say something pithy like, "I beat WCW for you, then you became WCW!"

Shane needed to go for the jugular and he didn't, and so this ends up being another lame-ass angle.

Don't worry, the McMahon's have roughly 170 minutes worth of promo time on RAW alone between now and Mania.

This is some weird logic. I've seen plenty of Tigers and Red Wings games on TV and there are often tons of kids in those crowds. 

Then there are tons of bad parents is what the implication was I believe

It may be more McMahon family drama, but it could mean the heel-GM dynamic is put to bed for a while after Mania, and in that sense seeing Shane was a breath of fresh air.

Of course, it could all just lead to more McMahon family drama and even more Stephanie on my TV.

The post is just weird Johnny logic. Don't spend too much time thinking about it other than to understand that his perspective is that WWE is generally very good and that it would be apparent that they know what they're doing were it not for those meddling fans who hate just to hate. 

It may be more McMahon family drama, but it could mean the heel-GM dynamic is put to bed for a while after Mania, and in that sense seeing Shane was a breath of fresh air.

Of course, it could all just lead to more McMahon family drama and even more Stephanie on my TV.

Why is she sitting on it?

I can always rely on DVDVR to tell me who sells the most merch and why that means they won't turn someone heel. like heels don't sell merch and the guy that takes his face spot won't sell any either.

To be fair - that is a very big Meltzer talking point (usually in regards to Cena) and also comes from Punk saying that when they turned him heel his merch sales plummeted

It may or may not be completely true, but I have an issue with posters saying it so matter-of-fact-ly like they're sitting there discussing it with Vince accompanied by a complete breakdown of merchandise sales from the last five years.

Or they just heard Dave say it on a podcast.

Two thoughts:

Has everyone forgotten how outright embarrassing Shane McMahon's punching sequences can be? I mean, truly "business exposing"? I hope Undertaker realizes this.

The real feud should be Zane vs. Nakamura (who's favorite music has been heretofore hidden): new US third wave ska vs. UK Two Tone ska. Nakamura burning an Operation Ivy Shirt! Prince Buster at ringside! Trumpet as foreign object! Porkpie hat on pole matches! Specials playing at WMcheckerpattern!

-RAF

• Like 2

I look for Shane-Taker to be similar to HHH-Sting at WM31 - lots of bells and whistles with outside interference from those who "The Authority" have screwed over: Big Show, Kane, and maybe even Cena and Orton, with a nice Stone Cold Stunner on Taker, to top things off.

If idiots keep throwing beer and soda at him, they should stop it.  Because one day, some nutjob is going to throw something worse than a cup or plastic briefcase.

Is it just me, or is this situation taking on an Eva Marie feel to it, in that they're almost inviting the heat at this point?

I think someone threw a chair at him already, right?

Johnny has a point, in a way it's completely ridiculous to boo Roman as "the chosen one" when the guy kicking his ass (who they are cheering on) is the same guy they were booing ten years ago because he was the "chosen one" 

What sense does any of it make?  Unless you believe everyone has "forgiven" Hunter because of NXT. But reading around the net I can see that a lot of people still hate Hunter every bit as much as they always did.

I think you underestimate how much people love NXT and the strength of the "If only HHH was running the company, RAW would be as awesome as NXT!" narrative.

It doesn't hurt that HHH aggressively pushes that narrative himself with the masturbatory "WE MADE NXT GREAT AND I AM YOUR CHAMPION, SMARKS!" stuff every time there's another special. 

He knows full well that when he shows up at an NXT special where he went out and got a majorly-over New Japan star to wrestle one of his indy darlings among other matches that everyone wants to see, that same crowd will be at Wrestlemania. And he knows full well that they will cheer him because he books NXT and brought Nak in and books these great shows that if only he had more power on RAW, he could book there as well.