DVDVR Message Board

Raw is McMahonaMania 2-22-16

MGFanJay

I watched every episode of Breaking Ground except the last one (I dropped the Network at the end of December) and I don't think they ever mentioned anyone called Ryan Ward. Who is he?

Johnny has a point, in a way it's completely ridiculous to boo Roman as "the chosen one" when the guy kicking his ass (who they are cheering on) is the same guy they were booing ten years ago because he was the "chosen one" 

What sense does any of it make?  Unless you believe everyone has "forgiven" Hunter because of NXT. But reading around the net I can see that a lot of people still hate Hunter every bit as much as they always did.

None of the storyline makes a bunch of sense but the argument that because people booed Hunter 12 years ago means they can't cheer him now is ridiculous. Now if you want to say it's dumb because HHH has really done nothing to be a face, that I get. 

Johnny has a point, in a way it's completely ridiculous to boo Roman as "the chosen one" when the guy kicking his ass (who they are cheering on) is the same guy they were booing ten years ago because he was the "chosen one" 

The fans cheered HHH 10 years ago against Cena. It's a virtual repeat  with Roman only Cena was actually good enough to come out of that "you can't wrestle" stigma HHH tried to put on him. Roman doesn't seem equipped in the slightest to be able to navigate the political waters with The Game. Add to that the fact he has a sub par character and is poor on the mic, and he's going to get chewed up and spit out unless he steps it up big time.

I watched every episode of Breaking Ground except the last one (I dropped the Network at the end of December) and I don't think they ever mentioned anyone called Ryan Ward. Who is he?

The diminutive lead (sole, I believe) writer of NXT.

the argument that because people booed Hunter 12 years ago means they can't cheer him now is ridiculous.

I'm a fan of Triple H, I've always been a fan...  It wasn't just booing. It was "I hope Triple H breaks something and never appears on my screen again."  This wasn't one person. This wasn't one board or one site.  It was everything.  But enough about that. 

What I don't understand is this idea that we're going to hate the guy the company wants to push.  There's no Daniel Bryan around who is more "deserving" or whatever.  If not Roman, then who? I think it's more likely that it's become "cool" to boo Roman.  Make no mistake, creative has fucked it up completely. They've done Roman no favors. Roman has not exactly shined in the role either.

the argument that because people booed Hunter 12 years ago means they can't cheer him now is ridiculous.

I'm a fan of Triple H, I've always been a fan...  It wasn't just booing. It was "I hope Triple H breaks something and never appears on my screen again."  This wasn't one person. This wasn't one board or one site.  It was everything.  But enough about that. 

What I don't understand is this idea that we're going to hate the guy the company wants to push.  There's no Daniel Bryan around who is more "deserving" or whatever.  If not Roman, then who? I think it's more likely that it's become "cool" to boo Roman.  Make no mistake, creative has fucked it up completely. They've done Roman no favors. Roman has not exactly shined in the role either.

DeanAmbrose.jpg

• Like 7

What sense does any of it make?  Unless you believe everyone has "forgiven" Hunter because of NXT. But reading around the net I can see that a lot of people still hate Hunter every bit as much as they always did.

The same reason I love my drunk abusive father but hated my drunk abusive stepfather,

I'm not sure Dean is quite ready to be in that role and Roman isn't either but that's the point. The company did a terrible job with his character post-Shield break up but it doesn't quite explain the hatred for the character.  Orton's initial face run was pathetic and he didn't receive this type of backlash. There's no Punk or Bryan that they are holding back.

At least with Randy Orton, it got to a point where he was really over, and his heel act was so popular that they turned him face.  And let's not forget, that's after they botched WrestleMania 25 to once again put over Triple H because Orton beat up a 65 year old man, and that was garbage. 

So you know...why couldn't they do the same with Roman Reigns?  

Orton's initial face run was pathetic and he didn't receive this type of backlash.

His turn was ill-advised, but he quickly got dispatched by HHH and languished far from the title picture for a year and a half. The fans never really turned on Orton either, his heat just kind of dwindled away because his turn was booked so poorly. I actually remember him being viewed sympathetically as "another HHH victim" at time. Perhaps most importantly in regards to where 04 Orton contrasts with 16 Reigns, the writers had the sense to turn him heel not long after his heat died.

Was the whole Edge/Matt Hardy deal the first time that the internet and social media influenced the on-air product to a large degree?

I'd say Lesnar/Goldberg, but in that case, both guys were leaving so it didn't really matter. Edge/Matt might have been the first time they changed an angle going forward (for the better I might add).

I think they had the guy.  I think Roman WAS the guy.  The Shield was crazy over and he was the main man.  The silent badass. It reminds me of Orton because it's the same thing with creative removing what worked for the character.  Orton needed to be a dick.  He got over as a dick. Instead they had him smile and kiss babies. Same shit with Roman. Just let him say a few words and then kick someone's ass.

Actually, that's what they're doing with AJ right now. Man of a few words, kicks some ass. Beautiful.

The Orton and Reigns complaints also remind me how well they handled Batista's slow burn face turn and "Road to Wrestlemania" title chase. I don't know if they learned from Orton's initial babyface run as champion or what, but they hit all the right notes in that simple yet hot storyline.  From third or fourth wheel in Evolution to the crowd favorite world champion.  They put in good work there.

• Like 1

There's no Punk or Bryan that they are holding back.

Says you.

Meanwhile, the fans have cheered their heads off for Ambrose pretty much every step of the way. They cheered their heads off for Ziggler after that Survivor Series 2014 match. They cheered their heads off for the Wyatt Family both times they teased a face turn for that group.

But nope, every time it's gone back to Roman and certain people shrugging their shoulders at how weird it is that he can't get over.

Orton's rise was pre-social media.  Twitter, YouTube, and blogging has been as much of a curse as a blessing for wrestling, and life in general.

Orton was over on the message boards then. People had more of a problem with the way he was pushed post face turn, losing the title in a month than him.

There were people actually wanting him to beat Undertaker at Wrestlemania 21.

The recipe for success doesn't seem so difficult. Treat today's stars like the stars of yesteryear. Every win or loss from a part-timer means something. Try to extend that to the whole roster. If you see the potential for $$$ in someone protect them. (i.e. Owens never jobs to Mr. Midcard Dolph Ziggler, Jericho does not kick out of Styles finish) See who the audience takes to. A main event push needs an organic element to it. You cannot create it in a test tube. Push who the audience is digging. Repeat.

In retrospect, the Shield breakup explains all of the problems with current WWE creative. They shoehorned Rollins and Reigns into positions they were ill-suited for. Rollins wrestles a flashy, exciting athletic style. This screams babyface.  He also is just average on the mic. Somehow he ends up as a main event heel cutting 20 minute promos each week. Reigns persona of quiet ass-kicker who wrestled for short stretches in tag team matches was getting over huge. Thus, it only made sense to force him to cut long promos and wrestle longer matches.

The only Shield member creative did not have such a clear plan for was Ambrose. This is why he's still over. He's still allowed to be an extension of what got him over in the first place.