DVDVR Message Board

2016 LUCHA UNDERGROUND DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Yeah, there's nothing inherently wrong with triple threats, they're just harder to pull off. This one was great as you'd expect with 3 of the best wrestlers going today all with perfectly complementary styles. My favorite aspect of this match was as soon as someone hit a cool move and tried to celebrate, someone else was there to strike. The pacing was so good with just the right amount of Pentagon and Puma fighting each other, but knowing they had to pull out all the stops to slow Mil even a little. Mil Muertes came out of that looking totally unstoppable.

The Cage/Taya match is obviously going to be polarizing, but I think that was actually the first LU intergender match that actually was what Matt Stryker always tries to say LU intergender matches are. No light working around the women and no cheap sexual harassment heat for a change. I won't try to convince anyone it was appropriate, I'll just say that for what they were going for, they pulled it off very well. Mundo's heel work at the end was great, and you're probably lying if you didn't bite on the lead pipe nearfall.

Cheerleader Melissa's new gimmick is... Interesting. Not really a big Moth fan, although he did bring back the curbstomp.

The bathroom fight was vintage LU ridiculous awesomeness.

• Like 1

Just a note, but can we retire the "Triple Threats suck" talking point? In the last 15 months we've gotten Rollins/Cena/Lesnar, Ambrose/Reigns/Lesnar, and now Muertes/Puma/Pentagon, and all 3 are amazing.

Shitty Triple Threats suck. Smart triple threats are fucking awesome.

All three of those have in common the storytelling thread of the unstoppable monster that has to be felled, which is interesting. Off the top of my head the only other three-way I can think of that's as good as any of those three matches is Santito/Casas/Dandy, but that was due to the heat between Santito and Casas. 

Just a note, but can we retire the "Triple Threats suck" talking point? In the last 15 months we've gotten Rollins/Cena/Lesnar, Ambrose/Reigns/Lesnar, and now Muertes/Puma/Pentagon, and all 3 are amazing.

Shitty Triple Threats suck. Smart triple threats are fucking awesome.

Triple Threats do suck. It's a structure that breeds far more bad matches than great matches. We have had three recent examples of them being awesome. Several very talented wrestlers took a lousy structure and figured out ways to make it great. It's not the structure that suddenly got great. It's still breeds terrible match layouts. 

Amazing main event. Surprised as well to see Muertes win so decisively over both guys but great work from all involved. I dig the Mundo/Cage feud and the Taya match was crazy but I'm liking her so far. Her and Mundo make a good heel pairing as Mundo continues to do some great work. Their match felt longer like they did a ton for a match under 7 minutes.

They really made Mil look strong- but you know he can be beat, so it's not like a Brock situation.

Taya impressed me with her toughness, and she seems pretty tall and can talk.  Is the tallness why WWE isn't interested in her?  WWE seems to only like tall women if they are related to someone famous.

• Like 1

I've been back on forth about the Cage/Taya match.  If you focus on the intengender part of things, yeah it's pretty fucked up.  If you take that out of the equation, it was a wild match.  If it was Mundo in there instead it'd be a super fun match.  But no matter how much they try to play it off, intengender matches will always be the elephant in the room...er...temple.  Just hard to get past that no matter how good a match is or how tough a woman like Taya is.  I'm not even offended by it, just couldn't get into it.

They really made Mil look strong- but you know he can be beat, so it's not like a Brock situation.

Taya impressed me with her toughness, and she seems pretty tall and can talk.  Is the tallness why WWE isn't interested in her?  WWE seems to only like tall women if they are related to someone famous.

Taya had a tryout around 2012 and there was some issue that was never explained. She went to Mexico after and there hasn't been talk of her and WWE since.

Tonight's episode is fucking stacked

Ivelisse/Angelico/Son of Havoc vs Disciples for the trios belts - if the unlikely trio doesn't win the belts THEY LEAVE THE TEMPLE

Chavo vs Texano in A BULLROPE MATCH

Mil Muertes vs Fenix for the Lucha Underground championship

• Like 1

That was one of the finest hours of pro wrestling TV in years. Things started off really fun with the trios tag, then cooled off a bit for Texano-Chavo - but that allowed things to stand out more with both Mil and Matanza being set up in back to back vignettes as monsters who will one day be at war. It's like if you saw a trailer for a Godzilla movie and a King Kong movie back to back - nothing was stated about them facing off, but seeing them back-to-back makes you wonder what would happen if they fought. It was great, and we got Matanza killing more dudes while the Streets of Rage scream sound effect blared too.

Then we got the main event. Holy shit was it crazy- and not just due to the spots. There were some things that kinda didn't need to be there, like chairs to the head - but they at least meant something. Masks were ripped up and that allowed blood to floor from the chairs - so we got masked luchador bloodshed for the first time in LU history, Vamp marking out for dives, and the single best David vs. Goliath match since Razor vs. 1-2-3 Kid in 1993 too as FENIX BEAT HIM TO WIN THE TITLE. Then, Catrina set out for revenge. She's now lost all of her gold in one night, and Dario has staked his claim to regain his Temple. Mil enters Aztec Warfare as number 20, while Fenix now has to defend his title and run the gauntlet as number 1. It's going to be amazing, and Rey's debut happens there too. Oh my God can next Wednesday just be here already!?

http://www.f4wonline.com/mexico/lucha-underground-results-fenix-battles-mil-muertes-lu-title-209451

Screens -

0ddb5d472097011.jpg

0272e4472097033.jpg

29c3d6472097040.jpg

bacc8f472098113.jpg

af67f0472098118.jpg

a91340472098154.jpg

fe6c51472099946.jpg

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/mrfmd6q28mku8vmqahdowtze5oo5trvg

• Like 1

So I guess we know Catrina's story a bit more now.

I'm totally OK with Fenix and Mil having awesome hate filled brawls every year.

Going by the vignettes, Ima thinking Catrina just totally screwed Mil by changing Aztec Warfare's prize up, considering Los Hijo's Del Rey Mysterio and El Jefe's little Bro are showing up.

Here's a really nice review of the Lucha Underground show at SXSW yesterday.

I also want to add that there is new merch at both the Square Up store and the pro wrestling tees store. The pro wrestling tees site especially has some cool looking shirts.

EDIT: Fixed the link.

http://whysoblu.com/sxsw-review-lucha-underground-austin-warfare/

The trick is you can't just put a link by itself, but if you highlight some text and click the link button (right under the size thing, hard to make out) you can get it to work that way. 

No one's going to talk about Chavo/Texano and maybe no one should, but that was much better than I was expecting and probably the best Chavo match in the history of the promotion and happily the end of that.

This is what Vine was made for.

I'm assuming people who said the season started off slow and are now very happy because the show has clearly moved into high gear the past couple of weeks. What a string of main events and next week is AZTEC WARFARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just an amazing hour of TV. I'm glad they gave away the Matanza deal tonight b/c I figured his look will be polarizing and better people get it out of their system this week rather than if he shows up next week and overshadows Aztec Warfare.

If I hadn't have actually been at the tapings for Aztec Warfare and just found out tonight that Rey is going to be in it I would still be peeing my pants.

C'MON NEXT WEDNESDAY~!

Alright Cubs, you better have the hookup tomorrow because fuck the bills I'm not missing this. :)

Also, Jay: 

so we got masked luchador bloodshed for the first time in LU history,

Do you not remember the last season at all? And I thought my memory was shot...