DVDVR Message Board

2016 NXT GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

10 minutes ago, The Z said:

Ooh, PWInsider just confirmed that Ciampa and Gargano are now finally officially signed.

This roster is getting so full.

I wish I understood what people saw in Ciampa. Little personality, moves that hurt him more than his opponent and his look and matches are nothing special.

9 hours ago, Kyuubi said:

And that sucks, but the bulk of those indy guys paid their dues and the only reason they weren't on WWE TV sooner is because of Vince McMahon did not think much of them earlier due to looks, size, or a combination of both. And those people who don't have that indy background have a ton of more upside to them if Vince likes them(which he will because he is so narcissistic and insecure that he hates the idea that anyone but WWE made his biggest stars). Giving them their own show is akin of watching WCW Thunder. Most of them are as green as grass and I get it. If you like watching people develop with little to no training, then that would be fun for you. But judging by how much everyone shits on Mojo Rawley, Eva Marie, and Cameron, a lot of you would not want to watch that shit either even if we get a Baron Corbin or an Alexa Bliss. If anything, giving them their own show where they aren't allowed to make mistakes and their mistakes will be documented on the internet for as long as they continue their careers would make it worse. Until this day, people shit on John Cena in his early days messing up a Russian Legsweep in a training video. Now imagine if these people wrestle an absolutely terrible match, and WWE actually broadcasted this. It's throwing them to the wolves.

But that's also the problem as well. The only way to really develop stars is to actually give them match time, preferably against really good talent.

By contrast now, not only are the Performance Center students who aren't even as good as, say, Shinsuke Nakamura  (which, being fair, almost no one in wrestling IS), they also can't even get jobber matches most of the time- which is the real issue. People can buy into a up and coming prospect slowly rising the ranks and becoming awesome (look at how many people were happy for American Alpha winning the titles when Jason Jordan did exactly that last night), and being in the jobber matches isn't as big a problem for NXT. 

However, the real issue isn't "they're not as good as people like Shinsuke Nakamura", but rather "they can't even overtake people like Corey Hollis and John Skyler, people like Deonna Purrazzo, and other people who are solely out-of-Performance Center jobbers taking the jobber matches that the Florida house show circuit workers SHOULD be getting." It even has hindered some people in obvious cases (Purrazzo is a far less-known name on the indy scene than, say, Billie Kay, Peyton Royce, or Athena are- but Purrazzo's getting all the jobber matches and the other three bigger names end up getting thrown to the Florida house shows.) 

If you're not willing to give the Performance Center even the lowest of the low spots on the NXT rotation to help them develop more, you're going to end up with the same problem NXT's having where they just throw indy darling after indy darling on the show, no one gets a chance to develop on the jobber matches and grow into a talent- and even if they develop into world-class performers on the Florida shows, it won't make a difference because 1,000 great matches in Florida armories or VFWs and 1,000,000 great moves in the Performance Center won't make you as NXT-ready as one match in the super-indies would, so the crowd will just turn on them as not being "good enough" for NXT.

34 minutes ago, (BP) said:

Weren't they throwing around the idea of sending development people to work places like Evolve and Japan? 

From what I've heard that is not an option for insurance reasons. Why that is different for the guys on half and half contracts I don't know.

What they have done is significantly increased the houseshows. For a few months now they have been running three shows every weekend in Florida, and then three shows on the road basically every other other week. A few weeks ago, in one of the weeks the "TV stars" were home, they ran five shows in Florida. With the size of some of the towns they run there really is no limit to how many shows they can run every weekend, and i can see them increasing them even further.

If they were going to send people away, they should look at sending people to the UK. With the short travel distances and the huge number of promotions you can basically work as often as you want, and there is a huge variety of styles on offer.

15 hours ago, The Z said:

Ooh, PWInsider just confirmed that Ciampa and Gargano are now finally officially signed.

This roster is getting so full.

For the record - Meltzer says it's a similar deal to what Aries signed in that they can still work other places. So it's not a developmental deal but they are under contract (most likely needing approval for any additional work they do)

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

For the record - Meltzer says it's a similar deal to what Aries signed in that they can still work other places. So it's not a developmental deal but they are under contract (most likely needing approval for any additional work they do)

I thought that Meltzer reported Gargano/Ciampa already HAD the Aries deal all along earlier in the week, but this news is saying Gargano and Ciampa have now signed an NXT-exclusive deal and are fully in developmental.

If so, it makes some more sense to lock them up now, since it seems like it goes without saying that one of the early parts of the WWE/EVOLVE partnership was WWE going to Gabe and saying "we intend to sign Johnny Gargano, we know he's the ace of the WWN promotions, so in good faith we'll let you use him for the next 9 months or so so that you can phase him out of your promotions and put over your next guys before we go exclusive with him"

On 4/2/2016 at 3:39 PM, Kyuubi said:

1. Yes.

2. Yes.

3. Outside of Baron Corbin, no one would watch these people. The show will tank and pretty much be FCW before Daniel Bryan and Low Ki arrived.

NXT really needs a healthy balance of bringing in indie/Japan guys with the home grown folks.

NXT has had some awesome stuff with developmental people. The Wyatts stuff was awesome. Bo Dallas was the most entertaining thing on my television set. Charlotte, Sasha Banks, Bayley and Emma are all pretty much home grown. Tyler Breeze was gold. And even though they were indie legends first, Sami and Neville felt home grown. They didn't just pop up out of nowhere with fans chanting their name. They came in and developed their personas and caught on.

I also don't know anything about most of the indie/Japan people aside from their names. Just having someone show up where I'm told they're "the hottest free agent..." and the like is really lazy. It's fun at first but it has really diminishing returns for me. I understand most NXT fans know who these people are but they're not giving the general viewer much reason to care.

That's fine, but I want to see more developmental types find their footing. Bobby Roode just showing up at ringside doesn't do anything for me.

• Like 2

There is no "general viewer" of NXT.  It's completely marketed towards fans of wrestling, most of whom actively follow other promotions/Japan.  They aren't trying to tap into the Total Divas viewership.  That you find it "really lazy" that they don't hype up people who are already known by the vast majority fanbase, when you are the one who can't be bothered to watch any wrestling that isn't on the WWE Network or RAW, is rather telling.  Bobby Roode just showing up at ringside not doing anything for you doesn't matter, because you aren't their core audience.  Deal.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zheroen said:

There is no "general viewer" of NXT.  It's completely marketed towards fans of wrestling, most of whom actively follow other promotions/Japan.  They aren't trying to tap into the Total Divas viewership.  That you find it "really lazy" that they don't hype up people who are already known by the vast majority fanbase, when you are the one who can't be bothered to watch any wrestling that isn't on the WWE Network or RAW, is rather telling.  Bobby Roode just showing up at ringside not doing anything for you doesn't matter, because you aren't their core audience.  Deal.

Even if it is, it's the same problem. There needs to be some developmental on the...well, developmental show.

The more "big name people" show up, the more the show gets too big for developmental grads- and the worse it'll end up. All those big names are what they are. Bobby Roode isn't going to main event Wrestlemanias, no matter how much people liked him in TNA. Best he'd do on the main roster is be a IC/US Champion between his age and him just not having that.

What can happen, though, is all the new graduates or lesser stars, could potentially have main evented Mania- but because the show's too far up, the fans have decided "we will NOT accept you worthless homegrowns on OUR NXT, it's supposed to be OUR show with OUR indy darlings and ONLY our indy darlings!"- and guarantee no up and comer even has the "FCW grad" level, but rather "No homegrown will ever get anything but X-Pac Heat on the main roster because the fans will have poisoned the well against them".

On 3/31/2016 at 1:34 PM, RIPPA said:

Based on what folks are saying in seeing marketing materials in Dallas - it appears that Shinsuke Nakamura is just going to go by Nakamura

Well of course he is.  Because in WWE, if you're a woman or a foreigner, you only get one name.

Is there info on what time on Friday the tickets for the northwest shows go on sale? I'd rather not have to resort to buying marked up scalper tickets from a greasy bastard on Stubhub, but I will if I have to.

8 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Is there info on what time on Friday the tickets for the northwest shows go on sale? I'd rather not have to resort to buying marked up scalper tickets from a greasy bastard on Stubhub, but I will if I have to.

The Portland one on Ticketmaster is listed at 10AM Pacific Time Friday. The other two non-Ticketmaster shows don't have event listings yet but I'd guess they will probably be same time.

• Like 1

I will be furiously hitting the refresh button on that day. 

Stupid Comcast. I wish I had the advantage of Google Fiber. Lucky-ass Portland residents. 

EDIT: No record of it on tickets.com even though that's the site that the WWE's own page gives. I looked at all the events at the Paramount Theatre, and it isn't listed for May. 

So there's been quite a deck-clearing in NXT the past two days.  Looks like they're down

• Corbin
  • Apollo
  • Enzo & Cass
  • Vaudevillains
  • Eva Marie

Possibly Emma, too?  I don't recall if she was out there with the rest of the Women's division on Raw.

A lot of spots opened up.  Be interesting to see who gets brought to TV at the next Full Sail tapings.

Corbin is the only one out of that list they'll really miss. I guess Roode could come in and do the uppercard heel gate keeper role Corbin had. Jordan and Gable are as over as Cass and Enzo, and have far better matches.They'll miss Emma some, but it'll give Alexa, Dana, and Peyton a chance to step up. Zayn is a big loss, but Nakamura offsets that. I thought Bayley was the one person they couldn't afford to lose, and it looks like she's staying for more Asuka matches. I think Bayley will be even better once that feud ends.

Never saw the Vaudvillians call-up coming. Doesn't seem like an act for the main roster. Let's see how they do. But with the additions of them and Enzo/Cass, the main roster tag division is getting quite large.

New Day

League of Nations

Usos

Dudleys

Wyatts

Social Outcasts

Lucha Dragons

Ascension

Vaudvillians

Enzo/Cass

Golden Truth

Matadores (they still around?)

Has there been such a stacked tag division since the heydey of the late 80s?