DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] 2016 UPCOMING MOVIE TYPE THINGS:

RIPPA

Something just occurred: if Idris Elba is now Roland, does that mean they're gonna have to completely rewrite Odetta's entire part on the beach in The Drawing of the Three?  A big part of that whole conflict was the fact that she didn't trust Roland and Eddie because they were white.  

11 hours ago, Jingus said:

Something just occurred: if Idris Elba is now Roland, does that mean they're gonna have to completely rewrite Odetta's entire part on the beach in The Drawing of the Three?  A big part of that whole conflict was the fact that she didn't trust Roland and Eddie because they were white.  

As much as I love Cthulu and the Derry Universe, Lovecraft was a fucking racist and King has a lot ugly racial overtones in his some of his novels that really didn't add to the story.  The dialogue that came out of John Rainbird's mouth in the novel, Firestarter, made my nose hairs smoke.

I like the casting of Idris not only because he's a great actor, but you also get to write at least a portion of that King racial bullshit out of the story by making Roland and Odetta both black.  King fans may care about that sort of thing, but the casual audience of millennials that are curious about the movie and have never heard of The Dark Tower probably won't.

Maybe they care if they go back to read the novels after watching the movie.

Personally, I didn't get why Odetta didn't trust Roland.  Mother fucker wasn't from this dimension and by that time Odetta was aware of all of the weird shit going on, so all bets were off.  That's like me being thrown into the Star Wars-niverse and not trusting Luke Skywalker because he's white.

13 hours ago, EVA said:

From the sounds of things, they're rewriting a LOT.  That should be the least of anyone's worries.

As long as they rewrite the ending, we're good.

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

As much as I love Cthulu and the Derry Universe, Lovecraft was a fucking racist and King has a lot ugly racial overtones in his some of his novels that really didn't add to the story.  The dialogue that came out of John Rainbird's mouth in the novel, Firestarter, made my nose hairs smoke.

I like the casting of Idris not only because he's a great actor, but you also get to write at least a portion of that King racial bullshit out of the story by making Roland and Odetta both black.  King fans may care about that sort of thing, but the casual audience of millennials that are curious about the movie and have never heard of The Dark Tower probably won't.

Maybe they care if they go back to read the novels after watching the movie.

Personally, I didn't get why Odetta didn't trust Roland.  Mother fucker wasn't from this dimension and by that time Odetta was aware of all of the weird shit going on, so all bets were off.  That's like me being thrown into the Star Wars-niverse and not trusting Luke Skywalker because he's white.

They can just have Odetta distrust Roland because she's crazy.  Problem solved. 

• Like 1

Honestly - this should have been the first trailer they released

I am way more willing to give it a chance after this one than the first one

EDIT - oh and standard - between the two we probably have seen the entire movie caveat

I picked up the entire team of toys for my daughter (and, well, me too I guess) the other day and they each come with a piece to build the ghost in the logo, which I guess is what is leveling that building at the end of the trailer. If I were to make a guess, I would say that someone, probably a Gozerian, tries to be the living embodiment of Gozer on Earth causing all kinds of freaky shit to happen. Or not. I'm probably thinking too much of the plot to the video game, which I hope is re-released on PSN so I can play it on the PS4.

On 16/05/2016 at 0:21 AM, AxB said:

5976.jpg?w=620&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&f

The new James Bond meets not the new James Bond. But which is which? And if they're both such huge stars, why aren't Thor movies the biggest thing since sliced Beatles?

Hopefully both are not the new Bond. I want Damien Lewis or Fassbender but Hiddleston is surely a certainty right?

Lewis is too Ginger. Fassbender is German/ Irish and therefore not British enough. Hiddlestone is probably getting it... but Elba would be better. He's intimidating like Bond should be (and no screen Bond has really projected fearsomeness like Elba can). T-Hiddy is too skinny; You don't look at him and think he would win a fist fight. And James Bond should look like that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AxB said:

Lewis is too Ginger. Fassbender is German/ Irish and therefore not British enough. Hiddlestone is probably getting it... but Elba would be better. He's intimidating like Bond should be (and no screen Bond has really projected fearsomeness like Elba can). T-Hiddy is too skinny; You don't look at him and think he would win a fist fight. And James Bond should look like that.

If its down to those 2 then yes, Elba is the clear choice. No offence to Hiddleston or anything,he's a great actor but looks wise he's a Q if anything. 

The nationality thing probably rules Fassbender out but he can bring the broodiness and intimidation factor if they go down a darker path than Craig has been. Elba/Hiddleston lighten the tone if anything in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Mike Zeidler said:

The Windsor family is German and Irish

And Greek. And they claim the throne (erroneously) through decent from an invader from France. What does that have to do with being British? I hate the fucking royal family anyway. Bunch of worthless fucking parasites.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2016 at 8:16 AM, Technico Support said:

As long as they rewrite the ending, we're good.

They can just have Odetta distrust Roland because she's crazy.  Problem solved. 

Based on what King tweeted earlier this week...

Spoiler

This may be considered the sequel. The Dark Tower ends with Roland starting the journey after the MIB again, but unlike the beginning, he has the horn.

LOL That would be a good way to change the ending while saving face.  It could also add a new wrinkle to the story to hint that Roland has been through all this before, many times, and he has vague memories of the past(s) like deja vu, instead of the way King did it, which was to just spring it on us because he couldn't think of anything better and just wanted the damn thing done.

Just, please, keep King far away from the creation of the new ending.  The ending of the Dark Tower legit ruined King for me.  He was one of my favorite writers before that but after...not so much.