DVDVR Message Board

RIP Scott Weiland

goodhelmet

I wasn't 100% sure he was even still alive since I don't even think about him, but this almost seemed inevitable based on his history. Sad and just tragic in general.

Sad and 100% completely not surprising.

Fuck.

No one can possibly be shocked, but fuck.

I wasn't 100% sure he was even still alive since I don't even think about him, but this almost seemed inevitable based on his history. Sad and just tragic in general.

I'm quoting these posts because they read exactly like what I would have posted 13 years ago, about Layne Staley.  Probably did, somewhere.  I'm certain I did.  If they still existed I'm sure I could just requote them myself, and not have to change a word.  This is so depressingly familiar.

• Like 3

Never my favorite band but never disliked a single, and very much a component of The Soundtrack Of My Childhood.  Certainly one of the voices I tried to imitate before admitting to myself I couldn't sing.

I've been listening to STP since I was 13 and I just happened to be wearing my Purple album cover shirt.  I've seen STP three times (1996,2001,2002). I shouldn't be surprised at this news, but it doesn't make it suck any less. God damnit, Scott. Rest in Peace. 

• Like 2

Weiland used to show up as a top pick in yearly celebrity death pools (hosted by some mags and later websites). He always kept surprising people and trucking along. Eventually he fell of the lists, probably due to falling out of the mainstream, but I think to a certain extent that we all thought that if he made it into his 40s he'd maybe hold on forever.

One of the last live shows I went to was STP, actually. Weiland was actually in pretty top form, and did a lot of zany ass-shaking. It was a helluva show, even if my tastes had changed significantly since my teenage fandom.

I can't say that I'm surprised, but it's still sad to hear. "Tiny Music..." was such a great, underrated album. Their best effort. Also, another lost classic, is Weiland's "12 Bar Blues", from '98. Check it out if you haven't. Awesome shit, top to bottom.

• Like 1

Reading a lot of comparisons to other musicians today, so I just wanna say this: Scott Weiland, say what you want about him, was a fucking rock star. He wasn't some tortured artist like Cobain, or misunderstood genius like Layne, he was an out of control monster of a rock star and it was awesome. It's a sad day, but we were privileged to have witnessed him

• Like 4

Still crushed. Woke up to this news and even though it isn't surprising, still so sad. 

STP were my band through middle school and high school. They were apart of me growing up. I wore out my Purple cd.

Loss of words........ Conversations kill.

• Like 1

I was a huge STP fan in high school... Core was released when I was a freshman.  One of my favorite memories of high school was sitting in the commons at a regional speech competition.  One of the guys from another school brought an acoustic guitar and was playing the riffs from Plush, and we had about a dozen kids (myself included) singing along with him.  It was...

Man, this just sucks.

• Like 2

STP didn't get a lot of respect during the grunge heyday. Nirvana, Alice In Chains, Hole, Pearl Jam, and Soundgarden were all (arguably, in some cases) better. STP were looked down on as posers riding the coattails of superior artists. Funny thing is, STP's music has aged far better than a lot of the bands that were seen as better. I love the Smashing Pumpkins, but they don't really work as well without the context of the decade. But Core, Purple, and Tiny Music still sound relevant, even after 20 years. RIP.

• Like 1