DVDVR Message Board

RIP Scott Weiland

goodhelmet

Sad and 100% completely not surprising.

Fuck.

No one can possibly be shocked, but fuck.

I wasn't 100% sure he was even still alive since I don't even think about him, but this almost seemed inevitable based on his history. Sad and just tragic in general.

I'm quoting these posts because they read exactly like what I would have posted 13 years ago, about Layne Staley.  Probably did, somewhere.  I'm certain I did.  If they still existed I'm sure I could just requote them myself, and not have to change a word.  This is so depressingly familiar.

This was the comparison I made in my mind as well, but Layne was sadly so much more of a mess that we sorta forget or try not to remember it.  As much of a wreck as Weiland sadly was at times there were never rumors of body parts falling off of him, and he did live almost 15 years longer.

But mainly way to many singers in bands I liked in my teenage years are dead way too soon and it sucks. 

• Like 2

If we start really talking about Layne I might still cry.

It happens to me sometimes still, especially if I listen to Frogs from the Unplugged album. When Layne hits the chorus, oh man. Why does it have to be this way?

I was listening to STP on Lithium today, and I started cracking while singing along to Interstate Love Song.

It's fucking sad. These bands were part of the soundtrack of my adolescence and that continued into adulthood. Music was my therapy as a kid. I didn't share my feelings with anybody at that time. I bottled it all in. Whatever was going on in my depressed state, I always could turn on the music and escape. I take it a little harder than some when Layne Staley passes away, and now Scott Weiland. It hurts to watch them lose the battle with addiction. I fight my own demons not to go back to using a certain substance, not heroin btw. I'm on the right path now with clear goals in sight, but I've lost things and people that I can never get back. Things are much better than they were a few years ago. I know/knew a lot of people that got into H, and that was something I wanted no part of, mostly because of very public cases, like Layne, Scott, and Kurt Cobain.

• Like 1

Sour Girl is a song that stuck with me and wormed into my brain the first time I heard it. I vividly remember believing he was clean, it was all going to work.

Sigh

I just remember SMG in the video as he slithered around back when I had a thing for her.

STP were "grunge" in the sense of "they are existing at the same time as grunge being big so let's, as record company people, label them grunge in order to better sell them."

Other side of the coin from "are you from Seattle?  HERE'S A CONTRACT" (i.e Candlebox, if I recall correctly).

If it wasn't for Slither by VR, I wouldn't have gotten into PWG. No joke. That one video that made the rounds with that song stuck with me for a long time.

Also, Down has one of my favorite intros ever.

Just sad. Weird to think he lasted this long considering all the drugs being done at the time.

STP were "grunge" in the sense of "they are existing at the same time as grunge being big so let's, as record company people, label them grunge in order to better sell them."

Other side of the coin from "are you from Seattle?  HERE'S A CONTRACT" (i.e Candlebox, if I recall correctly).

See, I really hated that that happened. Because at the time, there was a bit of a subtle movement where metal and indie (or alternative if you prefer) were moving closer together and lots of really interesting bands were getting signed (or pushed), instead of the "You're from LA? Do you know Axl? Do you know Nikki Sixx? Sign this!" production line that had been a few years earlier. So you had Pixies getting bigger, Jane's Addiction getting bigger, Faith No More, Chillis, Fishbone, King's X peaking their popularity, Last Crack, Celebrity Skin, Mother Love Bone and they were all different, all colourful and imaginative. Then Nevermind gets bigger than big from out of nowhere, and suddenly it's go grunge or go home, and bands that had nothing to do with Seattle or Sub Pop or any of that were suddenly decreed to be part of that scene, like the Pumpkins and STP. And everything that didn't fit with idea that got vanished pretty quick.

Scott Weiland lived longer than he really was supposed to. I know that that sounds morbid about a guy who was only 48 and had two kids, but the truth is he left this planet years ago. I don't think the guy who was being propped up on stage the last few years was really Scott Weiland anymore. He did more in 40 years than most people will do in a lifetime. He didn't get out quite as quickly as Kurt or Layne did, but he just wasn't a guy who was meant to live a long life.