DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I'm starting to think I'm higher then Bray Wyatt then anyone else on this board. Or anywhere, maybe. I still think that guy screams Wrestlemania Main Eventer, the company just has to stop being dumb to make it happen.

I think he's been miscast as a heel. Turn him face, drop the supernatural mumbo-jumbo, and let him be a hillbilly shitkicker who cuts Dusty Rhodes/Southern preacher style promos. I bet he could pull it off.

Before anyone laughs at this, it's exactly what they did with The Undertaker - his original heel run was barely a year before he was popular enough to be turned babyface. You don't have to change a thing about Bray, just change his targets.

Yeah, I don't mean "turn the Wyatts into the Godwinns." In the Wyatt Family's last appearance in NXT, Bray cut a great, fiery babyface promo about how he was going to change the world and "bring down the machine." No eating worlds or stealing powers or whatever. It was tremendous.

• Like 1

I'm a huge Bray Wyatt guy but what has hurt him since day one on the main roster is that he's never successfully "converted" a babyface into a family member. Bryan only lasted a week and Strowman just kinda showed up. They abduct Kane and he just sorta goes missing for a while. Then, two years later, they abduct Taker and he... just sorta goes missing for a while. I'm not saying either should be the guy to turn, but it's just a pattern of crappy creative decisions that could've been way cooler and way more important feeling

• Like 2

The issue w Wyatt is his character is stuck within the constructs of WWE programming. He's a backwoods cult leader. What's his motivation for winning wrestling matches, let alone appearing in structured matches in the first place? His character should scream danger and unpredictability. Instead he has boring predictable promos/feuds and they saddled him with an entourage of giants, two of whom don't have great looking stuff.

I'm a huge Bray Wyatt guy but what has hurt him since day one on the main roster is that he's never successfully "converted" a babyface into a family member. Bryan only lasted a week and Strowman just kinda showed up. They abduct Kane and he just sorta goes missing for a while. Then, two years later, they abduct Taker and he... just sorta goes missing for a while. I'm not saying either should be the guy to turn, but it's just a pattern of crappy creative decisions that could've been way cooler and way more important feeling

I sort of agree with this. To add on I think Bray himself wrestles too often for a guy with his gimmick. He should rely on the family more. If he did this and won a some decent feuds he would be fine.

If he had won ANY of the feuds he's had so far he at least wouldn't look like such a chump. Now seriously, if he doesn't burn down Dudleyville and hang Tommy in the swamp, we'll know for sure what exactly we have on our hands: a well and true Jobber To The Stars. 

The problem with the idea of a female Wyatt member is that there isn't a single person they have in development who could do it.

Which means signing someone... and they don't sign people straight to the main roster anymore.

Obviously if this was 10 years ago - it would have been Serena or Daffney

The problem with the idea of a female Wyatt member is that there isn't a single person they have in development who could do it.

Which means signing someone... and they don't sign people straight to the main roster anymore.

Sara Lee.

00z00.jpg

• Like 1

Actually, he has one some of his feuds... kinda.

You wanna know how much the WWE gives a shit about someone? Does Bray Wyatt win his feud with you

Hell No: Cena, Reigns, Undertaker

Sure, why not: Bryan, Ambrose

To be fair, while Bray won the last match with Ambrose, Ambrose spent the whole fued pretty much kicking the shit out of Bray.

I'm starting to think I'm higher then Bray Wyatt then anyone else on this board. Or anywhere, maybe. I still think that guy screams Wrestlemania Main Eventer, the company just has to stop being dumb to make it happen.

I think he's been miscast as a heel. Turn him face, drop the supernatural mumbo-jumbo, and let him be a hillbilly shitkicker who cuts Dusty Rhodes/Southern preacher style promos. I bet he could pull it off.

If you watch his FCW and early nxt stuff, that's really not far off from what he was. It was more standing up for the downtrodden with a heavy Max Cady influence...and of course, tiiimmme is on my side.

I think Emma could have pulled it off after her disasterous main roster run.

I also think part of the problem is Bray isn't really allowed to "wrestle" his gimmick much. There is no way he should be anything other then a flat Brawler, and not in the current WWE style of brawler. We need fist fights and blood.

You and a couple of others have gotten really, really close to the problem with Bray's booking. No, he really shouldn't care about winning or losing matches, he should be there for two things only: converts and BRINGING THE VIOLENCE. 90% of his matches should end with him being DQ'd for excessively violent shenanigans. Think Kevin Sullivan as "The Master" in SMW (the template is pretty close actually). Did Sully care about winning matches? No, he cared about carving people up with a spike and generally making a nuisance of himself. That's the sort of stuff Bray should be doing. Ain't no buzzards to be following if you aren't leaving a trail of the bloody and broken in your wake.

There also needs to be more of an emphasis on expanding the "Family". Take over some bland babyface (yes, Dolph Ziggler would do nicely) and turn them swamp monster before our eyes. It needs to be a long-running deal, not something that's resolved in two or three episodes of RAW. The more I think about it, the more perfect a candidate Dolph seems to be... Have him kidnapped and carried out by Brown Shortsstain and keep him off TV for a month. A month is plenty of time to grow out a scruffy beard and come back looking like Moondog Spot jr.

For the gimmick to be meaningful, it has to be someone of Dolph's level and persona. The transformation is thus dramatic and memorable. Adding a female Family member to tempt losing divas to convert would also be aces. Cult leaders expand cults, they don't just randomly show up with one new member a year, that shit doesn't cut it.

• Like 4

For a while during their feud, I thought they'd go with Bray brainwashing/converting Reigns, leading Ambrose in trying to get his friend back and eventually asking Rollins for help, putting the Shield back together.

The supposed crown prince/golden boy in the swamps with the deranged cultist?  I'd watch just to see Reigns and Harper literally impale some guys.

They flat-out missed the chance to put Adam Rose in the Wyatts.  Black sheep, white sheep, bad bunny.  It was right there, easy peasy.

• Like 1

My mrs theorised at survivor series that Dean Ambrose would sell his soul to Bray Wyatt in return for help winning the WWE Title. It seemed silly at the time but it would've been 10x more interesting than what actually happened.