DVDVR Message Board

November 2015 Wrestling Discussion

OSJ

Rest of the year in my neck of the woods:

-Saturday 11/28:  Dynamo Pro Wrestling at The Ready Room in St. Louis, MO; Wrestling Invades America in Swansea, IL; World Powerhouse Wrestling in Collinsville, IL
-Saturday 12/5:  Dynamo in Fenton, MO; Mid-Missouri Wrestling Alliance in St. Louis, MO
-Sunday 12/6:  Pro Wrestling Championship Series in Alton, IL (Colt Cabana, Kikutaro, Grado)
-Saturday 12/12:  Southern Illinois Championship Wrestling in East Carondelet, IL (Flash Flanagan vs. Ron Powers vs. Kahagas cage match)

Barring any last-minute schedule additions, I'll have attended 69 live wrestling shows in 2015.

• Like 1

Image have a wrestling comic coming out tomorrow that sounds quite interesting:

Ringside01_Cover_362_556_s_c1.jpg

THE PROFESSIONAL WRESTLING EPIC BEGINS IN AN OVER-SIZED FIRST ISSUE! RINGSIDE is an ongoing series set within the world of professional wrestling, written by JOE KEATINGE (SHUTTER, GLORY, TECH JACKET) and drawn by acclaimed illustrator NICK BARBER, combining the ensemble drama of THE WALKING DEAD with interconnected rotating perspectives akin to The Wire. Each issue will explore the relationship between art and industry from the view of the wrestlers themselves, the creatives they work with, the suits in charge and the fans cheering them all on. But that's just the beginning. The real violence is outside the ring. - See more at: https://imagecomics.com/comics/releases/ringside-1#sthash.6EMJnizG.dpuf

This was on another board.  Never saw this before.  Pretty cool.

That's from the "Beyond The Mat" VHS. It contained a lot of deleted scenes, including one where Afa from the Samoans cooks breakfast, while talking about how his eye got popped out during a match. Fun stuff. 

Amsterdam's Wrestling Hall of Fame going to Texas Founder: New location has ‘a lot more to offer’  
By Kyle Adams November 20, 2015
wrestling_t650.jpg?5711a3b57decb389a12ba
The Professional Wresting Hall of Fame in Amsterdam has announced that it will move to Texas at the end of the month after 10 years in the city.

•  

AMSTERDAM — Amsterdam’s Professional Wrestling Hall of Fame has announced the stars of next spring’s induction ceremony, but there’s a catch: The ceremony will take place in Wichita Falls, Texas, the Hall of Fame’s soon-to-be new home.

After 10 years in Amsterdam and three in Schenectady before that, founder Tony Vellano said the Hall of Fame needs room to grow.

“We’re moving there because it’s just a better fit,” he said Friday. “It’s a bigger city, and they just have a lot more to offer and it was very affordable.”

The news broke suddenly Thursday on the Hall of Fame’s website after about 10 months of quiet planning.

“As far as Amsterdam is concerned, I’m grateful that they took us in when we left Schenectady,” Vellano said. “We’ve been there for 10 years and I’ve enjoyed every year of it, but it was time for the hall to grow.”

Vellano said the Hall of Fame, housed in a three-story corner building on East Main Street, will close at the end of November, then everything will be packed up and moved to Texas as quickly as possible.

The building will revert to the Amsterdam Industrial Development Agency, from which Vellano had been leasing it, according to the city’s Director of Community and Economic Development Robert von Hasseln.

While he regrets the loss of the Hall of Fame, which brought thousands of people into the city each year for its induction ceremonies and other events, he said he’s confident the building will be put to good use with two or three storefronts opened up and possible apartments above.

“While I’m sorry to see them go, I’m not worried that this is going to have a bad impact on the future of Main Street,” von Hasseln said. “It’s more like they won’t be there to be a part of the future of Main Street.”

When the deal was announced Thursday, von Hasseln said it was too sudden for the city or AIDA to even try to tempt Vellano to stay.

“It was a done deal before I even learned about it,” he said.

The Hall of Fame has already signed a 10-year lease for a building in downtown Wichita Falls, and the University of Texas at Arlington has agreed to partner with the Hall of Fame to house its memorabilia and provide student interns to help archive it.

With the move, Vellano said he’ll be stepping away from the business and handing it over to a board of directors.

“I’m getting a little bit older,” said the 65-year-old. “I’ve been doing this for 16 years and it’s time for me to move on.”

The class of 2016 will feature Stone Cold Steve Austin, “the leading star of WWE’s Attitude Era,” who transcended the sport to become a pop culture figure, and Sgt. Slaughter, a wrestler in the AWA and WWF whose popularity led him to be made into a G.I. Joe character.

The Hall of Fame’s 15th induction ceremony will take place May 20-21 in Wichita Falls.

In Amsterdam, the annual spring induction ceremonies gave rise to the city’s Spring Fling, which has become a popular street festival. Last year, Vellano said 8,000 people showed up for the induction.

Just up Chuctanunda Road from the Hall of Fame is Emmy Lou’s Diner, where signed photos of all the wrestlers who have visited over the years adorn the walls.

Sherri Bardascini Crouse, whose family owns the diner, said the news has left them all “heartbroken.”

“People don’t realize that the Wrestling Hall of Fame was a small thing that put us on the map,” she said. “Tony brings a lot of people from out of town here that spend their money here and it’s a shame that they are moving to Texas. It’s made me sick.”

Sad to see it go but in all honesty it was never much of a draw. I remember going to a benefit before the place was set to open in Schenectady where they had Killer Kowalski as the main speaker. People had no idea who he was and the Q&A session after his speech consisted of kids asking him about the Rock or Stone Cold. 

Even if he doesn't get a gig in Japan, his value on the indies has gone up considerably.

I'm not sure why anyone would ask for a release unless they had a fairly concrete deal in place in Japan.  I get that the waiting game can be frustrating, but so can dealing with indy promoters and having to bust your ass to get bookings, sell merch, etc to survive on the indies.

Solomon Crowe has asked for, and has received, his release.

Shame. Decent worker who was stuck in gimmick purgatory.

Eh...good for him.  Hopefully he gets a job wit NJPW and makes some money.  Another total waste of talent by the NXT/WWE system.  

Every time I saw him in NXT he was TERRIBLE.  Like the worst gimmicked vocal delivery this side of that one indie guy I saw who was doing the Val Venis voice.

• Like 7

I also didn't really see what others saw in him. In the ring, there wasn't anything special about him and the things to set him apart from others as good as him in the ring were his stupid ass haircut, being as short as Taz, and having Patty and Selma's voice. That one dude in the Ascension, the smaller one, already has the shitty voice market cornered.

• Like 1

I never got what Crowe's deal was supposed to be. Was he a hacker of some sort? He could break into broadcasts I guess so that was something. Crowe's problem was he was too short and stocky for them. Plus it didn't help the guy was Taz Orange in color. You can be short and ripped like Balor and Neville. But you can't be short and bulky.

So...great ratings this week for RAW...

WWE Raw (USA, 20:00-21:00)
1.04 A18-49 | 1.16 A25-54 | 3.190.000 P2+

WWE Raw (USA, 21:00-22:00)
1.01 A18-49 | 1.11 A25-54 | 2.990.000 P2+

WWE Raw (USA, 22:00-23:11)
0.93 A18-49 | 1.03 A25-54 | 2.712.000 P2+

NFL Regular Season (ESPN, 20:15-00:06)
5.12 A18-49 | 5.77 A25-54 | 14.256.000 P2+
+0.89

So...great ratings this week for RAW...

WWE Raw (USA, 20:00-21:00)

1.04 A18-49 | 1.16 A25-54 | 3.190.000 P2+

WWE Raw (USA, 21:00-22:00)

1.01 A18-49 | 1.11 A25-54 | 2.990.000 P2+

WWE Raw (USA, 22:00-23:11)

0.93 A18-49 | 1.03 A25-54 | 2.712.000 P2+

NFL Regular Season (ESPN, 20:15-00:06)

5.12 A18-49 | 5.77 A25-54 | 14.256.000 P2+

+0.89

Um...what exactly does all that mean?

• Like 1

RAW 1st hour:

3.19 million viewers

RAW 2nd hour:

2.99 million viewers

RAW 3rd hour

2.71 million viewers

Means:

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD

Under 3 million viewers....

The reign of Sheamus begins with one of the worst ratings in 20 years of RAW...the third hour tops the worst viewership in two decades...since 1997.

Oh boy, here is the Observer quote:

Ratings for WWE RAW disastrous, lowest in almost 20 yearsBy Dave Meltzer | @davemeltzerWON | Nov 24, 2015 2:04 pm

There is no way to spin the Monday, 11/23 WWE Raw ratings other than that they were a disaster.

The show did 2.95 million viewers, more than 200,000 viewers lower than what had previously been the non-holiday low dating back to 1997 when Raw was losing badly to WCW Monday Nitro.

Part of the reason was the NFL's Monday night game featuring the New England Patriots vs. Buffalo Bills that did 14.26 million viewers, which is about two million more than football has been doing in recent weeks but nowhere near a record.

It is the first time Raw averaged less than three million viewers since 1997.

To make matters worse, this was the day after the Survivor Series event where the WWE heavyweight title changed hands, which usually would lead to at least a strong first hour. In case you needed to be reminded, Sheamus now holds the gold after cashing in his MITB briefcase against five minute champion Roman Reigns.

The three hours were:

• 8 p.m. 3.19 million viewers
  • 9 p.m. 2.99 million viewers
  • 10 p.m. 2.71 million viewers

I am sure someone brought this up when it originally aired so I am sharing it again for folks like me who didn't know it existed

I am concerned that ring setup is dependent on Charles Robinson's tiny feet.

• Like 1