DVDVR Message Board

November 2015 Wrestling Discussion

OSJ

Oh boy, here is the Observer quote:

Ratings for WWE RAW disastrous, lowest in almost 20 years By Dave Meltzer | @davemeltzerWON | Nov 24, 2015 2:04 pm

There is no way to spin the Monday, 11/23 WWE Raw ratings other than that they were a disaster.

The show did 2.95 million viewers, more than 200,000 viewers lower than what had previously been the non-holiday low dating back to 1997 when Raw was losing badly to WCW Monday Nitro.

Part of the reason was the NFL's Monday night game featuring the New England Patriots vs. Buffalo Bills that did 14.26 million viewers, which is about two million more than football has been doing in recent weeks but nowhere near a record.

It is the first time Raw averaged less than three million viewers since 1997.

To make matters worse, this was the day after the Survivor Series event where the WWE heavyweight title changed hands, which usually would lead to at least a strong first hour. In case you needed to be reminded, Sheamus now holds the gold after cashing in his MITB briefcase against five minute champion Roman Reigns.

The three hours were:

• 8 p.m. 3.19 million viewers
  • 9 p.m. 2.99 million viewers
  • 10 p.m. 2.71 million viewers

Lol, isn't this the third or fourth time lately Raw has done it's lowest non-holiday rating in x number of years?  Quite a pattern of futility they have going.

Why is 1997 the baseline?  Was their lowest rating ever in '97?

Pre-1997 ratings don't impress anyone.  Vince probably likes to pretend the company didn't get TV until the Attitude Era (it beats admitting he thought the Mantaur gimmick was ready for tv).

Brother, most shows would kill for Raw's ratings

Sure, but how many of those shows would kill for Raw's ad rates?

• Like 1

'97 was the last year before they exploded back into mainstream.

I think the bottom was '95, but I'm not positive on that.

Figures.  WWE's business was the drizzling shits in '95, but then again who wants to see world champion Kevin Nash defend against contenders like Sid and Mabel?

I wonder if that's the show Naylor was referring to during his Twitter rant today, where Russo talked to McMahon about how bad things were getting creatively.

EDIT: the March 3rd, 1997 show from Germany, to be exact.

Figures.  WWE's business was the drizzling shits in '95, but then again who wants to see world champion Kevin Nash defend against contenders like Sid and Mabel?

One of those things is not like the other.

One of those things is not like the other.

What does Mabel being black have to do with anything?

What are you, Big Fresh?

• Like 2

12 year old me, apparently.  I fucking loved Nash's run back then.  To be young and dumb again...

• Like 2

12 year old me, apparently.  I fucking loved Nash's run back then.  To be young and dumb again...

I used to have arguments with my brother over who would be Diesel when we play wrestled. 

I had terrible tastes as a child.

All this talk about bottom-scraping WWF years led me to look up some PPV results and I saw some dark matches in '97 with lucha guys. How long was that going on? I know pretty much nothing about the Super Luchas history and this preceeds even that, so...

WWF & AAA had a relationship in late 96/early 97. Most notable was the 6 man tag at the Royal Rumble. And I think the luchadors were used here and there on tv up until the Lightweight tournament.

I wonder if that's the show Naylor was referring to during his Twitter rant today, where Russo talked to McMahon about how bad things were getting creatively.

EDIT: the March 3rd, 1997 show from Germany, to be exact.

I doubt it. They didn't just construct a whole new set and elaborate edgy intro in a week.