DVDVR Message Board

SPORTS MEDIA THREAD DEUX

Dolfan in NYC

And here I am in IL still plugging away.  Still increasing my bankroll in small increments.  Still taking shots in the big GPPs even though they are almost impossible to win (I did finish 32nd out of 98K a couple weeks ago!).  

It will be interesting to see what we do here, but we are basically a month behind NY.  They seem to be taking different paths to the same end (legal DFS), but we might never have to take a break in IL. 

I am personally almost to my cut off point for the year, though.  I've scaled down quite a bit because I only play NBA and the NBA is currently chaos on a night to night basis.  It's that time in the season where predicting a starting lineup is about as hard as predicting a winner. I will probably scale back up for the 1st round of the playoffs, but after that I'm done.  Here's to hoping I can still play when the NBA season starts back up again.

Olbermann is on Simmons podcast.  I understand that ESPN is a business and those two can be huge pains in the ass, but am I crazy for thinking that the two of them are the most talented sports journalists of my lifetime?  They fired the two people who seem to have an idea on how sports should be covered going forward.  ESPN has guys like Dan LeBatard and Bomani Jones who seem to understand that sports coverage is changing, but Simmons and Olbermann are probably the two people who should be indispensable for a network who wants to be the Worldwide Leader in Sports.   

I am assuming you meant "now part" instead of "not part"

It would be better if you meant "not part"

There are other people who write about wrestling, Simmons

23 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I am assuming you meant "now part" instead of "not part"

It would be better if you meant "not part"

There are other people who write about wrestling, Simmons

Shoemaker is the art director of the new site, which is apparently the main reason he was hired.  Apparently being an art director is primary means of income, the wrestling stuff is just what he does on the side.  

The Cheap Heat podcast was so painful to listen to because Shoemaker and Rosenberg are both clueless. I hope Simmons does get someone to write about wrestling and I'm glad that, so far, Shoemaker isn't that guy.

Just get DEAN to do all their wrestling content. It will fit with their vibe of random bullshit and total insanity. Pay him 9 figures to do it. May not be in dollars.

Didn't Dave do one MMA column for Grantland?

Anyway, backing up, I don't think Simmons or Olbermann are great journalists, but they are both great at certain things. Simmons changed sportswriting completely in this country, and proved to be a great curator of talent. Keith might be the most naturally gifted anchor I've ever seen on TV. He's quick, he's personable, he pulls his audience in, he's able to not just convey emotion, but to transfer it to his audience. 

Plus he's the guy that used to write the script for his three hour long ESPN 2 show in under a half hour.

44 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Didn't Dave do one MMA column for Grantland?

Anyway, backing up, I don't think Simmons or Olbermann are great journalists, but they are both great at certain things. Simmons changed sportswriting completely in this country, and proved to be a great curator of talent. Keith might be the most naturally gifted anchor I've ever seen on TV. He's quick, he's personable, he pulls his audience in, he's able to not just convey emotion, but to transfer it to his audience. 

Plus he's the guy that used to write the script for his three hour long ESPN 2 show in under a half hour.

I'm a Boston homer so I love Simmons and can't be unbiased about him. 

But as much as I like Olbermann, do you guys think that he'll be remember more for his political work? I feel like his MSNBC days way overshadow his ESPN work. 

Mike Tirico is leaving ESPN for NBC.

Monday Night Football loses its one redeeming feature.

EDIT: Also Brad Nessler apparently leaving ESPN for CBS.

We're going to end up getting fucking Mike and Mike on Monday Night Football, aren't we?

20 hours ago, Gonzo said:

Mike Tirico is leaving ESPN for NBC.

Monday Night Football loses its one redeeming feature.

EDIT: Also Brad Nessler apparently leaving ESPN for CBS.

We're going to end up getting fucking Mike and Mike on Monday Night Football, aren't we?

Stephen A, Skip and the return of Kornheiser as a sideline reporter.