DVDVR Message Board

SPORTS MEDIA THREAD DEUX

Dolfan in NYC

2 hours ago, piranesi said:

So did anyone else see Simmons' promo on HBO last night?

Did anyone not want to volunteer to spend the rest of your natural life punching it in the face?

Well, it's Bill Simmons, so yeah...especially the part where he drops an f bomb at the end to sound tough and edgy and not at all like someone the average five-year-old girl could kick the shit out of with contemptuous ease...

39 minutes ago, The Comedian said:

Well, it's Bill Simmons, so yeah...especially the part where he drops an f bomb at the end to sound tough and edgy and not at all like someone the average five-year-old girl could kick the shit out of with contemptuous ease...

I missed that.  I had muted it in order to shout "Hey, middle aged white guy has opinions and thinks he's funny."

At which point my wife literally burst out laughing at me over the irony and the best I could come up with was "How dare you!"

I liked Simmons so much better when he was just a writer. He hand most these tendencies all along, but they were less annoying in print. So of like Hunter Thompson( not that simmons was half the writer he was), as in the descriptions are brilliant, but watching play  it out if brutal. . .

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

ESPN has finally launched https://theundefeated.com/

There is a lot to take in

I have so many conflicting thoughts about the existence of The Undefeated.  Sports writing is generally a bunch of white dudes talking about black athletes, and for the most part it is fine.  If you look at just about any sports topic there is a racial divide in opinion.  The opinion of whether or not the NCAA should pay players, Lebron's Decision, and multiple other major stories are generally reported by white writers who see it from the exact opposite side from the majority of black sports fans.  So, I think that we need more black sports writers, writing from the underserved perspective of black sports fans.  The issue I'm having is why is it a separate website than ESPN.com?  I honestly feel like putting the black people on a separate site is the same as not putting giving voice to those opinions.  The story about black hockey fans, which is basically 500 words that says, "Hey NHL, stop ignoring black people and we'll stop ignoring you," would fit on the ESPN homepage(if they didn't ignore hockey as well).  If we've learned anything over the years it is that separate but equal is a fallacy.  I like that they hired more black writers, I just don't like that there is a "Colored" sign over their work.  

It's especially odd to me that they went ahead with "black Grantland" even after shuttering actual Grantland. 

Grantland won a ton of awards, was generally regarded as being full of brilliant writers producing fantastic work, and it couldn't make money. Why would they want to try again on that model, except now running the risk that it will narrowcast to a silver of their audience?

On 5/17/2016 at 10:02 AM, supremebve said:

I have so many conflicting thoughts about the existence of The Undefeated.  Sports writing is generally a bunch of white dudes talking about black athletes, and for the most part it is fine.  If you look at just about any sports topic there is a racial divide in opinion.  The opinion of whether or not the NCAA should pay players, Lebron's Decision, and multiple other major stories are generally reported by white writers who see it from the exact opposite side from the majority of black sports fans.  So, I think that we need more black sports writers, writing from the underserved perspective of black sports fans.  The issue I'm having is why is it a separate website than ESPN.com?  I honestly feel like putting the black people on a separate site is the same as not putting giving voice to those opinions.  The story about black hockey fans, which is basically 500 words that says, "Hey NHL, stop ignoring black people and we'll stop ignoring you," would fit on the ESPN homepage(if they didn't ignore hockey as well).  If we've learned anything over the years it is that separate but equal is a fallacy.  I like that they hired more black writers, I just don't like that there is a "Colored" sign over their work.  

Dude, that's clearly not what they want. Everything leading up to this "launch" has been in opposition to that. I believe it was Marie Donoghue who picked out the Nicki Minaj piece that Rembert Browne wrote as something she would like to see on The Undefeated. That's basically saying, "Yeah, that's so cute. Black people should write satire about some woman with ass shots appearing at some kid's bar mitzvah and her crude jungle music." If the source in that Deadspin article is correct about Donoghue viewing black people as superficial, then there is no reason at all to have hope in something clearly designed as a gladhand for black approval.

The reason it's separate is they don't want to deal with questions on diversity. So anytime they get questions about why they aren't covering something, they can instantly point to that website. That's all it is.

So if they believe they're catering to someone like me, then fuck 'em.

The Schilling supporter portion of their fan-base will never even know it exists. They would throw a fit if they did.

1 hour ago, Jrag said:

I thought that Simmons promo was pretty cool.  I'm way younger than you old dopes though. Maybe he is actually appealing to a younger audience even though he is...... one of you.

how-do-you-do-fellow-kids.png?w=500

• Like 7

I don't know if any of you caught the periscope thing The Ringer people were doing during the draft lottery, but Simmons talking himself into the Celtics getting a top 2 only to snag the 3 was a great moment.  It was clearly Simmons, Chris Ryan and room full of people who couldn't give two shits about the draft lottery. Still funny though, if only for the look of despair when he heard the Celtics name.

19 hours ago, Ryan said:

The Schilling supporter portion of their fan-base will never even know it exists. They would throw a fit if they did.

Or they will call it racist which is what Schilling called Stephen A Smith in his response to a "debate".   I mean while he might not be 100% false in the assertion it is still the height of pot calling the kettle black.  

2 hours ago, muhammedboehm said:

But what if you have multiple kettle friends is that ok?

Consult the guidebook on appliance relations.

• Like 1

Heather Cox is leaving ESPN and going to NBC

Primary duty will be the Thursday Night Football Sideline Reporter (Michelle Tafoya will be doing the Sunday game)

The thing that stunned me was that Cox has been with ESPN for 22 years

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Berman's agent is claiming that is not true

Well, the part that Berman's agent is disputing is that he's retiring.  The report(s) I've seen say that ESPN won't be renewing Berman's contract when it expires "sometime after the 2016-2017 football season."  Supposedly, ESPN expects Berman to retire instead of go to work elsewhere.  That may be wishful thinking.  Nothing the agent said contradicts the idea that Berman will be leaving ESPN one way or the other.  So that part is likely correct, I think.

Is Berman really that big of a name to hire to draw people anywhere? Isn't he mostly thought of as a pointless oaf by the modern audience? It's not like it's 1995 and he still has that name value. He's mostly just mocked at this point.