DVDVR Message Board

SPORTS MEDIA THREAD DEUX

Dolfan in NYC

So, there are two really well reported NFL stories making the rounds.  First from the New York TImes, a feature where the writer got unprecidented access with some owners, who don't give a single fuck what any of us think, and Roger Goodell, who may or may not be a robot.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/07/magazine/roger-goodells-unstoppable-football-machine.html

The second, from the Washington Post, that implicates that Petyon Manning sent goons to the house of the parents of his HGH accuser's house.  Look, if I hear somebody sent some dudes to talk to my parents, I'm going to call some of my cousins who may or may not live on the other side of the law.  There is dirty pool, and then there is sending someone to intimidate your parents. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/inside-peyton-mannings-secret-investigation-into-al-jazeera-documentary/2016/02/04/d0da2f04-cb05-11e5-a7b2-5a2f824b02c9_story.html

I don't think Danny Kannell is long for the ESPN world since that this is like the 2nd time in 3 months or so that he has said something that has made himself (and thus ESPN) look really bad

BTW - for context - Kanell is very firmly in the CTE is a myth camp (if you couldn't figure that out from that tweet)

This was the other tweet I was talking about

Danny Kanell ✔ @dannykanell

The war on football is real. Not sure source but concussion alarmists are loving it. Liberal media loves it. Doesn't matter. It's real.
9:02 AM - 8 Dec 2015

So he probably will start working for the NFL Network soon

How the hell are there CTE deniers?  This dude actually believes that all of these people are just playing make believe with brain injures.  That is almost as stupid as the friendly slave owner people, who try to act like slavery wasn't a big deal.

There are people who think the Sandy Hook shootings are fake, there's a prominent rock star who thinks AIDS is not caused by HIV, there's a former playboy model who thinks vaccines cause autism.  

Is it really that much of a stretch to think that some goof - who may be suffering from CTE himself - thinks this is all some huge vast conspiracy?

• Like 1

There are people who think the Sandy Hook shootings are fake, there's a prominent rock star who thinks AIDS is not caused by HIV, there's a former playboy model who thinks vaccines cause autism.  

Is it really that much of a stretch to think that some goof - who may be suffering from CTE himself - thinks this is all some huge vast conspiracy?

How would he get CTE, you actually have to play to get hit in the head.  Fuck that dude.

Oh, I know that for every truth there is someone to deny it.  Trust me as a black person, I know that people love not to believe anything you say.  I just don't get, what's in it for him. 

• Like 1

This is true.  But there are also a lot of people who pretend they believe shit like that just because it's part of what keeps them on the gravy train with a certain audience.  I'm amazed at how many people I know are too smart not to understand climate change, who go through the motions or pretending they don't believe it just because it's a litmus test to be in the herd they're in.

Some do it for some weird kind of cultural camaraderie. Others do it because it's a guaranteed loyal, paying audience that comes with that herd.

It's the "is he that dumb or is he that corrupt" thing where it's hard to tell which is worse.

Olbermann is on Jonah Keri's podcast this week.

God I miss his show

Best part of this so far is learning KO owns part of Ebbets Field Flannels and can call up and ask them to make a dozen of something completely random.
Cool that he's a part owner, didn't know that. But anybody can call up and order a dozen of something completely random. They offer custom stuff right on their site.

Their stuff is great, btw. Have three of their jerseys.

I don't think Danny Kannell is long for the ESPN world since that this is like the 2nd time in 3 months or so that he has said something that has made himself (and thus ESPN) look really bad

Yeah, I went there:

"@dannykanell Let's just ask the big question: How many cases of CTE did your father sweep under the rug with the Dolphins?"

(Context: Kanell's father was a team doctor for the Miami Dolphins during the "rub some dirt on it" era regarding concussions. I don't expect an actual answer, BTW)

• Like 4

Yeah, I went there:

"@dannykanell Let's just ask the big question: How many cases of CTE did your father sweep under the rug with the Dolphins?"

(Context: Kanell's father was a team doctor for the Miami Dolphins during the "rub some dirt on it" era regarding concussions. I don't expect an actual answer, BTW)

You forgot to do the mic drop thing. . .I'm all out of likes, but I would gives you a million for that one. . .  :)

Richard Deitsch ‏@richarddeitsch  22m22 minutes ago

Everything I hear out of Fox Sports for staffers who traffic in opinion and getting takes viral is good news.

Richard Deitsch ‏@richarddeitsch  23m23 minutes ago

Everything I hear out of Fox Sports for staffers who care about news and journalism is not good news.