DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Universe TV Thread

goodhelmet

I'm constantly annoyed by super hero TV shows/films that refuse to put them in the damn costumes. Stop worrying about it not being realistic or practical or whatever the fuck your excuse is. Your shows/movies are being watched be people who WANT to see them in the costume, so just put them in it already. Enough with X-Men in pleather and the like, just put them in the damn suits. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

The problem with the show is that they took the wrong route to modernize the character. 

I'm good with the character being in present day, but don't do it in a way that wipes out the superhero Kung Fu crazy shit.

There's nothing wrong with Iron Fist that a clean shave from a decent razor, a proper martial arts costume, and more fights wouldn't solve.

Yeah, the unkempt beard infuriates me.

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

No green pajamas and no yellow ballet slippers = fail. 

16 minutes ago, WholeFnMachine said:

I'm constantly annoyed by super hero TV shows/films that refuse to put them in the damn costumes. Stop worrying about it not being realistic or practical or whatever the fuck your excuse is. Your shows/movies are being watched be people who WANT to see them in the costume, so just put them in it already. Enough with X-Men in pleather and the like, just put them in the damn suits. 

Nods in approval.

• Like 3

The thing is, the push toward more "super" superheroes in TV/Movies is still fairly new, and Marvel/Netflix had this long running plan that they couldn't really change mid-stream because of inertia.   I mean, supposedly Lockjaw will be in the Inhumans show (though I *still* think they're just gonna remove the blue statue and it was there to be noticed so fan would be happy)

Lockjaw to the Inhumans is pretty much what the Quinjet is to the Avengers.  You can probably pass that power on to Black Bolt himself and not fuck things up too much.

There is bound to be at least one seventy year old Kirby purist that will scream at a cloud about it, though.

It may depends on if he is "just" a dog or they go Byrne and make him an unhuman turned into a dog by the terrigan mists.

(i assume Kirby purists dont watch any Marvel media properties, too busy arguing about Vince Coletta and !ike Royer.)

You know how the Daredevil show didn't put him in the costume until the end of season one, and how Punisher didn't get the skull on his shirt until the end of season two? Iron Fist won't be having a shave or putting on the green kung fu outfit until the end of the series. And I mean the Defenders series, not Iron Fist's solo thing.

• Like 1

That would be the reverse of how some Marvel Netflix shows go.  Normally they start out awesome and interesting, only for later episodes to not hold up as much (it's been said about Jessica Jones and Luke Cage)  I'm hopeful the second half does build up steam so the season finale is awesome.  I think it's too early to judge it without seeing the whole season, need to see what it's leading to first.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

That would be the reverse of how some Marvel Netflix shows go.  Normally they start out awesome and interesting, only for later episodes to not hold up as much (it's been said about Jessica Jones and Luke Cage)  I'm hopeful the second half does build up steam so the season finale is awesome.  I think it's too early to judge it without seeing the whole season, need to see what it's leading to first.

Im going to give it the benefit of the doubt for a bit anyway. 

• Like 2

I just finished episode 5.  It's ok so far, needs to pick up.  I don't think it touches Luke Cage or Jessica Jones so far, but since I feel like I'm in for what they're doing in the universe, I'm going to check the whole thing out.  A lot of the early eps feel like the corporate parts of Batman Begins.

• Like 1

I finished Iron Fist this afternoon and thought it was decent and not nearly as bad as critics made it out to be. Having said that, I never ended up warming up to Danny and found Colleen and the Meachum Siblings as my favorite characters. 

• Like 2

I would agree on if Danny was really ever likeble.  I think Danny came off kind of like Hayden Christensen in Star Wars prequels but not as insufferable.

I understand that throughout the early parts of the story, you're sitting there watching to see where certain characters are going to shuffle out.  Originally you think Ward is a dick, Joy you think is good, but she does the deal where she drugged Danny and the deal with Patel to get him the liver.  Later in the story, it's like everyone in the cast is Big Show and Lex Luger and it turns into who's lying to who non-stop.  

I liked the other Netflix Marvel series more though.  I have enjoyed Madam Gao.  Something about a superhero show where one of the heavies is a a 4 ft tall old lady.

Just watched the first episode of IRON FIST (and skipped the discussion cuz spoilers) and goddamn do they need a script doctor. Punch up the dialogue a bit and give the characters some actual character.

38 minutes ago, EVA said:

20 minutes into the first episode of IRON FIST, literally nothing has happened and Danny and a homeless guy are talking about pissing in shoes.

HARDEST pass.

That seems wildly unreasonable given the pacing of the previous shows.