DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Universe TV Thread

goodhelmet

On 1/30/2017 at 4:28 PM, odessasteps said:

I thought it had a different (but odd) name. Hard to keep track these days, esp as a mostly non tv watcher. 

It has switched owners quite a few times,  It used to be owned by CBN (Christian Broadcast Network), but then it became The Family Channel.  Fox bought the network and it became Fox Family, and then Disney / ABC acquired it.

It changed its name from ABC Family to FreeForm about a year ago.

Pretty Little Liars, The Fosters, Beyond, and Shadowhunters (the horrible second attempt to do something with the Mortal Instruments YA novels) are the hot shows on FreeForm.

CBN still owns part of the channel, which is why it was "The [Blank] Family Channel" until last year.  Disney renegotiated when the contract was up and was finally got to drop "The Family Channel" from the name, although I think CBN got like an extra hour a night or something out of it.

11 minutes ago, Mike Zeidler said:

CBN still owns part of the channel, which is why it was "The [Blank] Family Channel" until last year.  Disney renegotiated when the contract was up and was finally got to drop "The Family Channel" from the name, although I think CBN got like an extra hour a night or something out of it.

Far as I can tell from a little research, CBN doesn't own an interest in the channel, but the original sale contract called for the 700 Club to continue airing on the channel.  Supposedly, the contract stipulates that 700 Club will air on the channel as long as it exists in some form or other (contract doesn't stipulate time slots).

The thing about the channel always having to contain the word "Family" as part of the name is supposedly a rumor.  On the TV critics winter press tour last year, the president of the channel claimed there wasn't any such agreement.  Looking at the channel listings, it does seem that 700 Club gets more air time than it used to.  I don't watch 700 Club or Freeform, though, so I could be wrong about that.  If they are getting more air time, it's odd because ABC has tried to buy out the 700 Club provision a couple times but can't agree on a price with Pat Robertson.

11 hours ago, El Dragon said:

Well, they were never going to be able to make her comic Molly, cause she's a Mutant, and they can't touch Mutants. Money is on her being Inhuman.

If it's outside the MU and on TV does that still apply? Thought it was a film only concern.

EDIT: Yeah, Disney has all the TV/DTV rights, thus stuff like Hulk Vs. which was set in the same canon as EMH and Wolverine and the X-Men (which apparently shared a canon). Not sure how that aligns with the Fox Legion show though.

EDIT 2: Fox had to negotiate with Marvel specifically to get however many X-Shows they're getting so they don't have those rights locked down the way they do films.

I'm loving the LMD section of the season a ton.  Just when you think you have it figured out they throw some twist to keep you guessing.  I liked that Aida was based off the guy's ex and it was almost sweet seeing him still care for her like that.  That little bit of depth to his character is a welcome thing.

• Like 1

On 14/02/2017 at 7:19 AM, Eivion said:

I didn't realize how far you guys were behind.

Yeah, unfortunately. First two seasons stopped at the mid-season break and it was quite a wait before they resumed. Last season had no break and I think the same will happen here as both aired in January.

I'd rather get the movies first and a delayed TV series like we do instead of other way round.

I'm not very up-to-date with the Inhumans, but looking up Maximus... yeah, holy shit, that's a perfect casting.

I saw this on the Marvel Studios sub on Reddit, and it's very interesting. Some call it a hit piece on Perlmutter... I don't really have an opinion on any of it, I'm sure Feige has his downfalls too. But it sheds a little light on things like directors suddenly leaving franchises after one film, or never making it to the director's chair at all, and why the Marvel TV characters have little to no chance of ever appearing on film (besides, maybe, Coulson). Of course, at the very end of the article, it gets really politically hit-piecey, with the inclusion of the fact that Perlmutter donated to Donald Trump's "charity" and his wife donating millions to Marco Rubio.

It's all basically rumors and hearsay, with some facts sprinkled in, but it's still super interesting.

• Like 1