DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Universe TV Thread

goodhelmet

One thing that IMAX is attempting here to roll out the banners to show they want to be accessible to TV productions as well as films.  IMAX basically wants to be a one-stop shop for the entertainment industry and provide every kind of service.  IMAX is trying to make a statement here by funding the first two episodes of Inhumans.

Yeah season 2 of Luke cage isn't coming until 2018 at the earliest.

Plus Daredevil S3 and Jessica Jones S2 are already in the queue ahead of it.  Meaning it might have to wait until 2018.  Unless they commit to three shows in 2018.

Daredevil is their flagship show and character on Netflix.  He got the second season before everyone else.  Also, Jessica Jones is basically going to start filming right after Defenders.

Either way, we aren't seeing Luke Cage until second half of 2018 at the earliest.

• 4 weeks later...

So last night I finished watching Daredevil season 1. It was really good. I have a few questions though. See how Fisk was always talking about saving this City, and rebuilding this city and so on? Was he talking about all of New York, or just the Hell's Kitchen bit of it? Because the show did like to have lots of people go down to the riverside and stare at the towers in Manhattan as if they were a different world... a safe, prosperous different world. I get that they're contrasting how Murdoch is down and dirty in a way that Stark and Rogers aren't, but it didn't look like NY needed that much saving (just a little bit of it). Where in New York was the Chitauri attack anyway? Because I thought Stark Tower was in Manhattan, which should therefore be the most damaged area. The Avengers made a big deal of setting a perimeter and containing the damage as much as possible.

Anyway, it's Jessica Jones next, then DD season 2, then Luke Cage, right?

• Like 1

On 03/01/2017 at 11:58 AM, AxB said:

Where in New York was the Chitauri attack anyway? Because I thought Stark Tower was in Manhattan, which should therefore be the most damaged area. The Avengers made a big deal of setting a perimeter and containing the damage as much as possible.

Self-quoting because I have since discovered that Hell's Kitchen is on Manhatten Island (I know nothing of New York geography and assumed it wasn't). So for all those 'lets go down to the river and discuss things with skyscrapers in the background' scenes in Daredevil, the characters actually took a bridge (or a ferry) off-island to have that conversation.

Anyway, I finished watching Jessica Jones. It's pretty fucked up. I really liked it, I think it could probably appeal quite a lot to people who don't normally Superhero stories. The opening titles really don't fit the tone of the first season though - they make it look like a Private Eye show, which it really only is for the first half of the first episode. It's mostly a show about a damaged person dealing with things, who very occasionally shows that she's good at finding things out about people. I'm surprised that they didn't do more to tie it in to Daredevil - considering the last episode of Daredevil S1 had a public figure being arrested for organised crime, an attack on an FBI convoy to spring him, and a costumed Superhero re-arresting him (and being named on the front page of the newspaper). Did all of Jessica Jones occur concurrently with Daredevil somehow, but nobody even mentioned that millionaire philanthropist Wilson Fisk was here to save the city? Wouldn't someone with a talk radio show probably want to bring that up as a topic?

Jessica Jones is set in Hell's Kitchen though, right? So whenever anyone mentioned enhanced people, surely Daredevil would be the first name on the local's lips, because he's right there on their doorstep, unlike the remote celebrity heroes you hear about on TV but never see anywhere real.

Although the Hulk did smash up Harlem eight or nine years ago, and they do bring up the big green guy a lot.

4 hours ago, AxB said:

Jessica Jones is set in Hell's Kitchen though, right? So whenever anyone mentioned enhanced people, surely Daredevil would be the first name on the local's lips, because he's right there on their doorstep.

I'm not 100% but I think JJ is set near Hell's Kitchen but not in it? 

Also keep in mind nobody thinks DD is enhanced per se. They just think he's a nutjob in a costume. Or at least that's the prevailing opinion.

Now I've watched Daredevil season two. It was a big mess. Let's dedicate most of our screen time to having a guy dressed mostly in black fighting a bunch of guys dressed entirely in black, in dimly lit rooms at night. The whole Daredevil & Elektra half of the plot took ages and went nowhere. The Punisher stuff was good, but it really killed the need to have a Punisher show, because he's mission accomplished now. I was wondering why they raced through his storyline (after the pace of season one, it made me think this would be similar) and explained everything that was happening perfectly, while the whole Hand vs Stick was sluggish and basically nonsensical.

Also, how is it permanently night-time in Matt's apartment? He doesn't own curtains! They were cutting back and forth from Foggy & Karen in the courtroom to Matt & Elektra at home, and it was dark in Matt's living room.

On 1/12/2017 at 8:34 AM, AxB said:

The Punisher stuff was good, but it really killed the need to have a Punisher show, because he's mission accomplished now.

Nah. The Punisher was only born once all that was put to bed. Now he understands it hasn't changed anything. The mission still lies ahead. The mission is all that matters.

On 1/7/2017 at 9:23 AM, Cliff Hanger said:

Besides, does the public believe DD is enhanced or that he's just a good fighter? His powers are all under the hood, after all.

Iron Man, Black Widow and Hawkeye don't have superpowers and they are not enhanced.  They still fall under the Accords.  Daredevil is a masked vigilante operating in New York without any legal authority.  Technically, he should still fall under the Accords.  It can't be avoided forever.  Same with Luke Cage and Jessica Jones, they are publicly outed, and now it's now publicly known they are enhanced as well.  

Luke Cage season One was a lot of fun. I really loved the way they play him as a pensive, thoughtful man who doesn't see brute force as the first or only solution to every problem. I love that he's a reader (and that at the start he was reading Little Green by Walter Mosley, because I read that last year). It's odd that, across the 4 Marvel Netflix seasons, the pacing has been all over the place and a lot of them seem like they had the wrong number of episodes. Daredevil season one was a slow burn, where they didn't even say Wilson Fisk's name until they were a few hours in. Whereas Jessica Jones was maybe an episode or two too long. Daredevil S2 was crammed and overstuffed and all over the place, and Daredevil's storyline dragged while Punisher's raced through. And then Luke Cage made you think it was going to be another slow one early, but then picked up more and more... right up until it peaked halfway through the final episode - then they did the GoT thing of having the end bit be a tad post-coital and here's hw we wrap things up and set up for the next thing.

I really liked that the big final Hero vs Villain punch-up came with a crowd of bystanders watching and cheering. After all the scenes in the movies of citizens fleeing from Superhero fights, nice to see that Harlemites instead stand and watch.

• Like 2

I really liked that the big final Hero vs Villain punch-up came with a crowd of bystanders watching and cheering. After all the scenes in the movies of citizens fleeing from Superhero fights, nice to see that Harlemites instead stand and watch.

I think that comparison is a little weird and invalid to other superhero fights.

Well, there aren't many Superhero fights in the MCU where it's clear the villain is just after the hero and nobody else (because most of the fights are 'Save these people' or 'Save the World', rather than 'Save yourself'). Although obviously someone was filming the Chitauri invasion, because that kid was selling footage of it all season... If the Hulk was getting into it with the Abomination outside your front door, sure you'd run for it, and hope your house was still standing when they'd finished.

On 1/23/2017 at 3:47 PM, AxB said:

Well, there aren't many Superhero fights in the MCU where it's clear the villain is just after the hero and nobody else (because most of the fights are 'Save these people' or 'Save the World', rather than 'Save yourself'). Although obviously someone was filming the Chitauri invasion, because that kid was selling footage of it all season... If the Hulk was getting into it with the Abomination outside your front door, sure you'd run for it, and hope your house was still standing when they'd finished.

The Hulk and Abomination fight in the MCU happened in Harlem.

I believe you've missed the point. I mentioned that higher up on this very page.

On 07/01/2017 at 1:00 PM, AxB said:

Although the Hulk did smash up Harlem eight or nine years ago, and they do bring up the big green guy a lot.

See?