DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2015 - SEPT/OCT

Dolfan in NYC

One time the Blues were up 3-0 in a game midway through the 3rd period, and I mentioned to a friend that I hope we can get Chris Mason (Our Goalie at the time) a shutout. 4 goals in 5 shots later, I swore to never ever jinx again, legitimate or not.

Also, this.

Jake Arrieta in his last 19 starts: .89 ERA, 141 IP

Jake Arrieta since the ASB: .80 ERA, 101.1 IP

Jake Arrieta since August 1st" .44 ERA, 82.1 IP

I think the real issue isn't jinxes, it's the Blues.

OH!

And for the record - and this is my favorite part.

HARPER NEEDS TO RUN IT OUT!!!

Which is interesting since if you watch the play... he did.

This is the best part because if that's considered not running it out, there are several players (great, well respected players, mind you) per game who don't run plays out. And if you disagree with somebody the answer isn't to choke them. Be a grown ass man and handle that where there aren't millions (wait, it's the Nationals...) er, thousands of people are watching. Papelbon sucks and I doubt it's coincidence the team went to hell when he arrived.

Nationals have suspended Papelbon for the remainder of the season.

The Washington Nationals announced pitcher Jonathan Papelbon has been suspended for four games without pay after his altercation with outfielder Bryce Harper in the dugout during Sunday's game vs. the Philadelphia Phillies.  

In addition, Papelbon has accepted the three-game suspension issued by Major League Baseball for the incident which occurred during the Wednesday, September 23rd game vs the Baltimore Orioles. The league suspension will begin Monday against the Cincinnati Reds. The Nationals suspension will begin Thursday and last the remainder of the season.

"The behavior exhibited by Papelbon yesterday is not acceptable," said Nationals President of Baseball Operations and General Manager Mike Rizzo. "That is not at all in line with the way our players are expected to conduct themselves, and the Nationals organization will not tolerate it in any way."

Is Ben Revere one of those guys that advanced stats has really taken the value out from under him? He seems to get on base often enough, has an average of over .300, is ridiculously fast but his WAR is rarely over 2.

One day Ben Revere MIGHT grow up to be a lesser Juan Pierre.

Until then, Ben Revere warms our hearts with this.

• Like 1

DeRosa on Paps.

Here's my problem with Jonathan Papelbon. You've played 63 innings this year. You've been in the clubhouse probably - every closer I've been with - through the fifth inning getting a rubdown, eatin' a sandwich, doing your Jobe exercises, takin' your time. You've earned the right. His pedigree - he's earned the right to do that. That's the way Smoltzy went about it. All the great closers I played with, they're not gonna get down there in the first inning. You're top-stepping a guy who's played in 1,262 innings, who's hitting .336 with 41 homers, is gonna be the National League MVP and you're questioning whether or not he goes to the post every day. That's tired, okay? No reliever should tell a position player anything about hustle. Go stand out there in the rain, sleet, and snow while you guys are giving up gap shots. That bothered me.

https://twitter.com/_JakeRussell/status/648502495761854464

• Like 2

Closers (unless they're named Mariano Rivera) should realize that the have the most overrated, least important job in baseball and should keep their mouths shut and just be thankful that they get paid millions of dollars for no reason other than people's obsession with useless stats. Not that I have any strong feelings on the matter.

Poz has a nice take on the matter, which inevitably leads to a Royals and Reds story (he just needed to squeeze Buck O'Neil in there for bingo :D )

http://sportsworld.nbcsports.com/harper-papelbon-choke/

“I mean, Manny freaking hit a homer,” he said. “Walked it off, and somebody hit him. I mean it’s pretty tired. It’s one of those situations where it happens and, I don’t know, I’ll probably get drilled tomorrow.”

You will notice that Machado is “Manny” in this retelling while Papelbon is “somebody.”

Should Harper have publicly called out a teammate like that? Maybe not. But Harper is part of a new generation, one that doesn’t believe you should throw baseballs at people’s head in order to teach them unspoken rules. My daughter just read me this short story, Shirley Jackson’s “The Lottery,” about a town where everyone gets together once a year, has a lottery and — not to ruin the ending for you — stones the “winner.” Some of the people in the town tentatively ask, “Um, is this really a good idea?” and “You know, some towns have stopped doing this lottery.” But an old guy grumps that the kids today just don’t get tradition. Papelbon is that guy.

So, you won’t convince me that the Machado incident had nothing to do with Sunday’s main event, where in the eighth inning, Harper flew out to left field. Papelbon decided that Harper did not run out the fly ball quite as hard as he should have (replays suggest Harper was perhaps sluggish out of the box, though this seemed a bizarre time to play hustle police), and he began screaming at Harper. And he kept screaming. And he kept screaming. Harper — the one player who lived up to expectations in this disaster film of a season and who was playing a day game after playing all 12 innings on Saturday when Washington was eliminated from the playoffs — finally turned around and shouted, “Let’s go.”

Greinke will win it anyway because people are dumb. Also, who admits to liking Aquaman? My word.

I am a huge fan of marine mammals so yes, Aquaman rules. And Tusky the Walrus is the greatest character in the entire DC universe (Topo and Ark are right there with him), nobody messes with Tusky!!!

Dan Steinberg ‏@dcsportsbog  4m4 minutes ago Washington, DC

Fan at Nats Park screaming at others: "Hustle back to your seats! C'mon! More hustle!"

Just for the record - there are like 5000 fans at this ridiculous makeup game the Nats and Reds are playing

Faaack the Royals and the Cubs are playing a series at a time where I need both teams to lose lol.

...what situation could you be in that you need both teams to lose?

Royals losing helps the Jays in the fight for best record in the AL, and Cubs losing keeps them behind the Pirates.

Faaack the Royals and the Cubs are playing a series at a time where I need both teams to lose lol.

...what situation could you be in that you need both teams to lose?

One of those people who support a team in each league

Even so. The Cubs have clinched their WC2 spot, and the Royals have clinched their division. Who "needs" either team to lose, let alone both?

Edit: Fucking "two team fans". Now let me just hide that A's hat off to the side while I cheer on the Cubs.

OH!

And for the record - and this is my favorite part.

HARPER NEEDS TO RUN IT OUT!!!

Which is interesting since if you watch the play... he did.

If you call staying in the box for a couple seconds and then jogging to first "running it out" then, yeah, he ran it out.

Papelbon was 100% wrong but let's not pretend that Harper was hustling here.

He definitely took a few, disappointed slow steps out of the box when he realized he popped it up, but pretty much every batter does that. Even if the ball had been dropped, he would have been well on base.

If Papelbon felt the need to chirp, maybe he should have waited until Harper actually got into the dugout, instead of screaming at him as he jogged off, like some sort of shitty hockey dad.

Harper was at first base before the ball was caught.

I didn't realize the new unwritten rule was folks had to be at 2nd

The ball was in the air for 7 seconds. Even running at half-speed would put you standing on second - easily - if the ball were dropped.

Again, I'm not saying Papelbon was right to say anything but to imply that Harper was hustling is simply not true. He might not have been "doing less than the norm" or whatever but he definitely wasn't exerting himself 100% or even close to it.