DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION V.2.0

From all I've heard about Kevin Dunn, he has one major thing in common with Vince: They are both ashamed to be in the wrestling business.

That's probably the reason he's so close to Vince and the reason for everything that is wrong with WWE.

We already get that.  At the end of every backstage promo, after everyone's done talking.

True. Also when we get the obligatory STARE DOWN as people awkwardly walk backwards up the ramp after winning a match or saying something sassy or attacking somebody they dislike strongly.

• Like 1

Did anyone really watch Kevin Steen in the indys and think he should be a WWE main-eventer some day?

I thought he had the workrate (though I thought his style might be a little too 'indy' for WWE) and personality to make it, but figured his appearance would keep him from getting signed.  Honestly I'm more surprised Sami made it this far.

Bryan Alvarez of F4Wonline.com recently indicated that WWE officials now see Kevin Owens as an upper mid-card talent and do not see him on the same level as a John Cena or Randy Orton.

Good god...I hate this company.

So instead of John Cena's career, he may only have Chris Jericho's career. Poor guy.

• Like 2

Bryan Alvarez of F4Wonline.com recently indicated that WWE officials now see Kevin Owens as an upper mid-card talent and do not see him on the same level as a John Cena or Randy Orton.

Good god...I hate this company.
I wonder if that includes HHH or is he fighting an unwinnable battle against Vince and Kevin Dunn.
In Bryan's book, he mentions HHH sometimes coming out of production meetings like he just lost a war.

I would love to be a fly on the wall for one of those. Clearly he has a ton of pull, but I think we are a still a ways away from HHH being in creative control.

We also have no idea what he's fighting for. He certainly doesn't change anything Authority related to not make everyone in the company look second rate. Or going over Punk or Lesnar or Sting when it wasn't needed. Or the whole Batista ordeal.

Some things may change a bit but he and Vince share the same vision of what a prototypical WWE main eventer is supposed to look like. They're both body guys and size guys.

What annoys me about the way WWE operates is it seems like they just overthink every single decision and are so afraid to give someone the ball just to see what happens.

When someone like an Ambrose or an Owens starts getting hot, just run with it. Worst case scenario you know what you have and everything goes back to the usual a month or two later. Best case, you have a new headliner.

It's not that hard.

• Like 2

Doesn't that totally go against most of HHH's NXT high profile signings??

Yeah I thought the general consensus on HHH was that he played at being a body guy to get pushed as a wrestler and to get into Vince's good graces behind the scenes, but in reality he's a Flair/Race/Rhodes guy...

His vision for NXT is not necessarily his vision for WWE, though. He's running it for a hardcore audience.

I don't buy that Triple H is just playing at being a body guy. He's obsessed with bodybuilding as much if not more than Vince is. He's still juiced to the gills himself.

• Like 1

His vision for NXT is not necessarily his vision for WWE, though. He's running it for a hardcore audience.

I don't buy that Triple H is just playing at being a body guy. He's obsessed with bodybuilding as much if not more than Vince is. He's still juiced to the gills himself.

Even if Triple H is obsessed with bodybuilding, though, the fact that HHH IS running NXT for a hardcore audience is still a better example of his vision. Triple H may very well think the same way as Vince for bodybuilders, but he is just sensible enough a businessman to realize that even if he wanted bodybuilders and fitness models at the top of the WWE, the fans have made it perfectly clear that they want a more workrate-heavy product with the top standouts from the independent scene, regardless of whether they have great bodies or not- and as a businessman, what the fans want is more important than what he personally wants and to adjust his plans accordingly.

Considering that Vince's goal seems to be "I don't care if no one else on earth is watching Raw, as long as I'm amused by what I see the show is a success", that's a plus.

Really, though? He's just picking up majorly experienced guys who know how to work, have very well developed in-ring personalities and are guaranteed to be able to bust out solid matches with anyone, and come with the added bonus of having this "underground superstar" aura they can push, which I'm sure clicks with most casual viewers.

On the one hand I think it's super cool to have like, FCW, but with its own (non-local) TV and PPVs, but at the same time it's a total reification (hypercommercial imitation) of independent wrestling which is the opposite of independent, inevitably dumbs down and sanitizes everything, and is making friends of mine post like, screenshots of the first Joe/"Owens" stand-off like it's some groundbreaking shit and NXT is the best thing ever.

It's just a way to draw indy fans to WWE, and most of all just sign awesome, crisp, solid workers with years of experience and firmly established ring presence.

• Like 3

What annoys me about the way WWE operates is it seems like they just overthink every single decision and are so afraid to give someone the ball just to see what happens.

When someone like an Ambrose or an Owens starts getting hot, just run with it. Worst case scenario you know what you have and everything goes back to the usual a month or two later. Best case, you have a new headliner.

It's not that hard.

They wouldn't even run with Bryan in the fall of 2013 when he was the most over guy they'd had in a decade and with Cena out. They dropped the ball big time with Ambrose at HITC, they dropped the ball with Reigns at Mania, they dropped it with Rusev at Mania, dropped it with Owens etc etc.

Most people who've gotten over in WWE the past few years have done it in spite of the booking. However, if they get too over for their spot like New Day and Wyatts(can't threaten the Authority's top heel spot lol) they're much more likely to be punished for it than rewarded.

• Like 1

More Daniel Bryan stuff!!!!!

He says the WWE may never clear him, but he guarantess he will wrestle again "somewhere".

Source? Or is this from the same made-up interview from the other day?

That interview was also real, settle down.

This happened on BustedOpenRadio.

It's not that hard.

They wouldn't even run with Bryan in the fall of 2013 when he was the most over guy they'd had in a decade and with Cena out. They dropped the ball big time with Ambrose at HITC, they dropped the ball with Reigns at Mania, they dropped it with Rusev at Mania, dropped it with Owens etc etc.

Most people who've gotten over in WWE the past few years have done it in spite of the booking. However, if they get too over for their spot like New Day and Wyatts(can't threaten the Authority's top heel spot lol) they're much more likely to be punished for it than rewarded.

This.

I can't imagine anyone saying Owens should replace Cena. What's wrong with doing the two matches and then moving off to something else? Build the guy for a year and then do the third match. When a guy is hot, put a rocket in his ass and make money. If you want to de-push him, you can at any time. Some said look at Cesaro now after being a "another guy" for so long. That just points out the insanity of it all---why would you make him into "another guy" BEFORE you pushed him? The whole thing makes no sense to me and it is like an endless bad treadmill. 

It's not that hard.

There's no real point in bitching about WWE booking but after Reigns' injury, given the reactions he was getting, Ambrose should have been made.

He says the WWE may never clear him, but he guarantess he will wrestle again "somewhere".

The only thing that comes to mind is "Why?"

I get that he probably enjoys being in the ring and wants to go out on his terms, but... really?  He's probably never going to be healthy enough to wrestle a regular schedule again, so, if he gets back in the ring, it will probably be a short-term deal or special attraction.  He's still hugely over with WWE fans, so he can probably stay with the company for a helluva long time and sell merch, take an on-screen role, maybe transition into a trainer position, etc.  I'd be a little surprised if he can't still make a fair bit of company with the company - probably more than he was making working ROH and other indy dates and flying to Japan for NOAH tours.

Given his popularity, WWE likely wants him back in the ring.  If they won't clear him, there's a very good reason.  Risking his shaky health to wrestle a couple dates in Japan or ROH seems kinda ridiculous.

Hopefully he knows what he is doing.  I don't get it.

Source? Or is this from the same made-up interview from the other day?

That interview was also real, settle down.

If I'm mistaken, I apologize, but I'm pretty sure the interview where he said he was retired was false.

And if it was true, and this is true as well, then I'm truly confused.