DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION V.2.0

Taker is old, over the hill, and will possibly have a worse match now than he did 2 years ago?

Cena wins LOL?

Rollins with no challenger since both his natural ones are gonna be stuck with Shitty Wyatt?

I would guess Rollins' challenger will be Orton.  Cesaro would obviously be more fun, and on a show that you shouldn't have to sell too much with Taker-Lesnar, it's something they COULD do after the last couple weeks.  But I would bet on it being Rollins-Orton.

This week's Indoor Kids (video-game related podcast of Kumail Nanjiani and Emily Gordon) has former WWE writer Matt McCarthy talking about working for/getting screamed at by Vince McMahon and going through the history of wrestling video games. Fun listen.

• Like 1

Not sure where the best place for the WWE vs. ROH stuff is, so I'll put this random thought I just had here.  In trying to think of what it could be that ROH would never see coming, what if instead of negotiating to buy ROH from Sinclair, they were negotiating with Sinclair for the rights to/a license to show ROH on the network?

The problem there would be that: WWE is clearly at war with ROH right now, so anything they'd do to them has to be assumed as a "negative". If WWE was negotiating to syndicate ROH on the Network, that'd be a huge positive for ROH and defeats the purpose. 

The only possible way this works for WWE would be if the deal was similar to WWF's deal with ECW where it's really WWF saying "We'll put ROH TV on the WWE Network- but in exchange, whenever we want someone, you have to send them to us"- which is feasible on WWE's side, but questionable on Sinclair's side since it'd be a lot of trouble for getting a show syndicated on one large network.

As i speculated on the pocast this week, do they want to remove ROH as competition just so they can cheaply acquirethe tape library full of their current / future stars (DB, rollins, ambrose, cesaro, owens, zayn*)?

The problem there would be that: WWE is clearly at war with ROH right now, so anything they'd do to them has to be assumed as a "negative". If WWE was negotiating to syndicate ROH on the Network, that'd be a huge positive for ROH and defeats the purpose. 

The only possible way this works for WWE would be if the deal was similar to WWF's deal with ECW where it's really WWF saying "We'll put ROH TV on the WWE Network- but in exchange, whenever we want someone, you have to send them to us"- which is feasible on WWE's side, but questionable on Sinclair's side since it'd be a lot of trouble for getting a show syndicated on one large network.

Yeah, it is definitely an incredibly long shot, but I was thinking less syndication of current content, and more the rights to, essentially, the tape library for older shows.  Why buy old DVDs when you can just stream old shows on the network for just 9.99?!?

Taker is old, over the hill, and will possibly have a worse match now than he did 2 years ago?

Cena wins LOL?

Rollins with no challenger since both his natural ones are gonna be stuck with Shitty Wyatt?

I would guess Rollins' challenger will be Orton. Cesaro would obviously be more fun, and on a show that you shouldn't have to sell too much with Taker-Lesnar, it's something they COULD do after the last couple weeks. But I would bet on it being Rollins-Orton.

They should ask Lyger to pull double duty and give him a shot.

Isn't Sting supposed to be on Raw today. I wouldn't be surprised about Rollins vs. Sting.

I haven't seen any of the new Tough Enough, but WWE posted this video.

And Billy Gunn seems like a great coach! Even from this short clip. Very enthusiastic and encouraging while still focusing on getting better and doing things correctly. I coach college speech and debate for a living, and it's super cool to see folks good at explaining things and keeping folks excited about progress. It is not an easy thing to do.

Good for him!

• Like 2