DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION V.2.0

I kinda now want to see Cody Rhodes win the WWE World Heavyweight Championship.

Yup. Me too.

Hold on, let me get this straight. You take a character, add in his real life personality, give him a stated goal and people will actually want to see him on a wrestling show? 

Someone get this to the WWE writers room, STAT. 

I think that if WWE capitalized on this, they'd have to make sure that they make us care about Cody Rhodes as a character and not as an extension of Dusty. I'd argue that Rey and Chavo were both hurt when they just wanted to "honor" Eddie Guerrero. That blog post would be a great start, talk about Cody's individual reasoning, make us invest in Cody and it becomes about how Dusty motivated Cody to achieve his dream. With Rey and Chavo, it was like Eddie was someone messaging through them.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, get me to care about seeing Cody Rhodes as WWE World Champion and not Dusty Rhodes's son as WWE World Champion. Once Dusty's passing becomes ancient history, we still need a reason to care about Cody.

Ok, something really fucking weird is going on at Battleground. This is not a discussion about a match or the show really, just trying to figure out this WWE practice. I don't understand it. They are in Randy Orton's hometown of St. Louis and the announcers have not mentioned it ONCE even though the crowd is going nuts for him. Not only that, but Lillian Garcia did not even announce Randy's hometown in his intro! Both of those combined makes me think this isn't an accident, but why would they do that? Is this some crazy Vince policy that "being in your hometown is too wrasstlin'" or something?

Yup. Me too.

Hold on, let me get this straight. You take a character, add in his real life personality, give him a stated goal and people will actually want to see him on a wrestling show? 

I think that if WWE capitalized on this, they'd have to make sure that they make us care about Cody Rhodes as a character and not as an extension of Dusty. I'd argue that Rey and Chavo were both hurt when they just wanted to "honor" Eddie Guerrero. That blog post would be a great start, talk about Cody's individual reasoning, make us invest in Cody and it becomes about how Dusty motivated Cody to achieve his dream. With Rey and Chavo, it was like Eddie was someone messaging through them.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, get me to care about seeing Cody Rhodes as WWE World Champion and not Dusty Rhodes's son as WWE World Champion. Once Dusty's passing becomes ancient history, we still need a reason to care about Cody.

I hear you. My point is the motivation for this blog post could have been made apparent 5 years ago. How many times do people see stuff like this and it makes them infinitely more interesting that what they have going on now? It's not a matter of making someone a top star or world champion, just a matter of making people relate to them and therefore interesting. 

Yup. Me too.

I hear you. My point is the motivation for this blog post could have been made apparent 5 years ago. How many times do people see stuff like this and it makes them infinitely more interesting that what they have going on now? It's not a matter of making someone a top star or world champion, just a matter of making people relate to them and therefore interesting.

I think it's a pretty well regarded idea that most of the roster is alot more interesting than their characters would suggest. Watching a couple episodes of "Up Up Down Down" really reinforced that idea to me.

I'm fine with it. Lesnar the absentee champ as a babyface would be worse than it was as a heel. They obviously weren't going to put Rollins clean over Lesnar. They got something that'll sell some tickets for SS. What's the problem?

Taker is old, over the hill, and will possibly have a worse match now than he did 2 years ago?

Cena wins LOL?

Rollins with no challenger since both his natural ones are gonna be stuck with Shitty Wyatt?

Lesnar/Taker will need gimmicks out the ass. Like a Hell in the Cell Chain match with both their old ladies on the line. With Heyman hanging from a cage. And Taker talking about everyone in the front rows' mothers.

Lesnar/Taker will need gimmicks out the ass. Like a Hell in the Cell Chain match with both their old ladies on the line. With Heyman hanging from a cage. And Taker talking about everyone in the front rows' mothers.

I'd love to have Heyman in a shark cage over the ring.  It's been way too long since we've gotten that stip.