DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2015 TV THREAD

RIPPA

That doesn't seem like a premise you can stretch out for more than a season, much less 5-7 seasons.

Deadline used the term "event series" which made it sound more like The Slap. 

Yeah, you can't get more than that out of this concept. 

Battlebots airing on network television boggles my mind. The show still amuses me way too much, but what da hell is it doing on ABC, and why don't they have Bill Dwyer and Sean Salisbury lending their expert commentary anymore? :)

I love Mr. Robot.  The first ten minutes of the pilot is still the best thing I've seen on TV all summer.

Yeah it was great. Giving condolences over the dead father was the highlight for me in that scene. I'm guessing they are going the Fight Club route.

Thanks for the earlier replies on Halt and catch fire guys, it seems to be getting good reviews. Hope they get a Season 3 if its only to wrap up the story.

Also..

Im a huge fan of The Brink after watching the first 2 eps last night. I havent been laughing out loud at it (yet) but i love everything about it.

Tim Robbins is the fucking man, forgot how much i liked him as an actor. Jack Black is suprisingly tolerable also, i really cant fault the first 2 eps hopefully it continues.

Carla Gugino, goddamn.

I love Mr. Robot.  The first ten minutes of the pilot is still the best thing I've seen on TV all summer.

Yeah it was great. Giving condolences over the dead father was the highlight for me in that scene. I'm guessing they are going the Fight Club route.

I am also getting Fight Club vibe especially after the conclusion of episode 2.

The "We crowdsource, We friend, We unfriend, We Llke, We LOL, We tweet, We say nothing..." trailer is king sized. This may be the best scathing critique of society and politics since the Living Dead movies.

Harry Shearer has signed on for two more seasons of The Simpsons. He apparently isn't making more than other cast members, but if I made 1% of whatever merch/back end deal he got no one would ever see me again.

Just watched the first episode of Scream on demand. The whole thing felt like it was going for replicating the movies, from the opening kill to the classroom movie discussion. Hell, in the preview for tonight's episode it has a scene exactly like the campus square search from Scream 2.

Beyond that it was just kinda blah. The killer's mask is kinda cool but his voice sucks. I'm enough of a sucker for slasher movies that I will end up watching at least one more episode though.

What type of reception did Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles get.  I vaguely recall watching a few eps - from season 1? - and liking it, but I didn't stick with it.  Worth investing the time.  The wife and I are marathoning old series or current shows we started watching after they were several seasons in, and we'll probably be caught up around mid-August.  I'm looking to pick up a couple more series to bridge the gap into the new tv season in late September.

What type of reception did Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles get.  I vaguely recall watching a few eps - from season 1? - and liking it, but I didn't stick with it.  Worth investing the time.  The wife and I are marathoning old series or current shows we started watching after they were several seasons in, and we'll probably be caught up around mid-August.  I'm looking to pick up a couple more series to bridge the gap into the new tv season in late September.

I really enjoyed Sarah Connor Chronicles but it got cancelled, so be ready for a major, crazy-ass cliffhanger at the end of the series that will never be resolved.  Fun while it lasted, though.

As for recommendations, what have you seen?  The latest thing we're watching is, we've almost finished the first 3 seasons of Banshee and really like it.  But it depends on what kind of stuff you're into.

T:TSCC is great but weird. The first season gets cut short by the writer's strike. When it started back up for season 2, they kind of abandoned all the smaller ongoing plots, moved, and did a semi-reboot of the show.

Then it ends on the worst fucking cliff hanger.

But when it's humming along, it was fantastic television.