DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2015 TV THREAD

RIPPA

Rick and Morty's second season starts up tonight. The first two episodes leaked at the start of the month. I am hyped. Like, Mojo Rawley-level hyped. I was late getting on the bandwagon but once a friend got me hooked I went through the first season three times I loved it so much. The show can go really serious really suddenly, then make light of that earnestness while still allowing the gravity of the situation breathe. I love it. And there was a naked homeless guy in a santa hat hovering over the continental US too.

Fell down a Wild Wild West rabbit hole today.

The pilot (pilot!) features Victor Buono playing a Mexican warlord masquerading as A Chinese businessman (read opium den), Suzanne Pleshette as the lcal madame turned Jim West love interest and James Gregory as President Grant.

And in the first TV movie, Artemus is performing with "The Deadwood Travelling Players."

Rick and Morty's second season starts up tonight. The first two episodes leaked at the start of the month. I am hyped. Like, Mojo Rawley-level hyped. I was late getting on the bandwagon but once a friend got me hooked I went through the first season three times I loved it so much. The show can go really serious really suddenly, then make light of that earnestness while still allowing the gravity of the situation breathe. I love it. And there was a naked homeless guy in a santa hat hovering over the continental US too.

OH YEAH BUDDY!

giphy.gif

Today(Monday) was Tony Geary's last day as Luke Spenser on General Hospital. He's been on a part time schedule for years but he's finally leaving the show to move full time to Amsterdam. I don't watch the show as much anymore as I used to but I caught his final couple weeks. Nice to see Genie Francis back. She's looking better than ever. Also Johnathan Jackson made a cameo and he looks rough. I guess that's the Nashville look?

Mr. Robot, man. Some of it is a bit over-the-top (Gotta have a fatal flaw and it's morphine), but it's a really well done show. Pretty hooked right now.

Tyrell is a pretty fucked up human being.  I love that guy.

I am not so sure that it is so over the top so much that a lot of the really blatant messaging is just Eliot being an unreliable narrator and fighting to convince himself he's on the right side of history.

I like that fact that everyone in the show is smart, even the drug douche, Vera.  This week's episode should be interesting.

Watching an old episode of Murder, She Wrote made me recognize something: Contrary to popular belief, the best scene in TV history isn't from The Sopranos, Breaking Bad or The Wire. No, it's the scene were someone's defense lawyer finally gets Jessica Fletcher on the stand and points out how everyone is constantly getting murdered wherever she goes.  Cue the freaked out jury looking at this little old lady like she's the most prolific serial killer in history.

The Jinx with Jessica Fletcher.

• Like 1

6 eps into BoJack season 2, I feel like I get it better.

And Vincent Adultman absolutely should not work as a running joke, but every scene with him cracks me up because I have awful taste in comedy or because the writers are geniuses.

How is Mr. Robot so good? Why was only 2 people here talking about? How the fuck did USA Network get this show?

So many questions.

Unrelated, I really need to rewatch Bojack season 2. I just binged it on one night and I feel that I definitely missed some awesomeness, still loved it though and felt it was better than season one.

There's a lot of good tv this summer.

BoJack Horseman:  The penultimate episode of season two was a tough, "please don't do it, Bojack" watch.  BoJack is a terrible huma....well yeah.  Not a lot of laughs, yet the show is good.  I don't love it as much as its biggest fans, but I really appreciate it.  I enjoy how far it has been willing to go with a believably depressed character.  It feels sort of odd to say that about an animated show yet it's true.  Will Arnett was made for this role.

Ricky & Morty:  It's finally back.  I've been shouting its praises all over this forum, and the second season premiere was still bizarre and enjoyable.  Watch it already.  Talk about it.  I need at least 3 seasons of this show.  Animated shows are doing well this year.

Mr. Robot:   I haven't kept up with a USA network tv show in a very long time.  I'm glad I listened to the praise on this one and checked it out.  Not sure where it's going at all either, which is both exciting and sometimes worrying at the same time.  The main actor does a great job on it too.  They ended the last episode with "Love on a Real Train" by Tangerine Dream (the one from the Risky Business train scene!), and I thought the choice was grand.  It can get a little heavy-handed(a literal "fork in the road" ending) at times, and do "weird just to be weird" things, but it's probably my favorite summer show right now.

Hannibal: I have to catch up on Hannibal, but I heard the last couple of episode have been good.  I wasn't enthralled by the first couple of episodes and cancellation news dampen some of my interest.

If you can't find something to like in this group, we can't be friends. :(   Good stuff all around.

Edited by _MJ_

Watching the pilot for Black Bart, the Blazing Saddles spinoff, for first time in at least 10 years:

1. Lou Gosett as Black Bart

2. Steve Landesberg as "Reb", complete with Confederate grays

3. Even in 1975 on TV, n-bomb dropped in first 2 minutes of the show.

Finished the second season of Bojack Horseman this morning and I loved the last 30 seconds of the final episode, "Out to Sea."  

I've been kind of blah the last few days and the 

"it gets easier" conversation he has with the other jogger/God stand-in

actually cheered me up.

Into my first week of adding Showtime and I've been binge watching the US version of Shameless. Man I missed this show. I can relate to too many of the people and situations going on. William H. Macy is so spot on with his performance I start seeing the people in my life that are like him when he's on screen.  

Into my first week of adding Showtime and I've been binge watching the US version of Shameless. Man I missed this show. I can relate to too many of the people and situations going on. William H. Macy is so spot on with his performance I start seeing the people in my life that are like him when he's on screen.

Prayers sent.

• Like 1

Today(Monday) was Tony Geary's last day as Luke Spenser on General Hospital. He's been on a part time schedule for years but he's finally leaving the show to move full time to Amsterdam. I don't watch the show as much anymore as I used to but I caught his final couple weeks. Nice to see Genie Francis back. She's looking better than ever. Also Johnathan Jackson made a cameo and he looks rough. I guess that's the Nashville look?

Yea that's the Nashville look. And I agree. Genie is looking really good this go round.