DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2015 TV THREAD

RIPPA

Guest Edwin

I've been watching Louie on Hulu. I'm more than halfway through season 4.

I've read people compare this to Curb, but they're 2 different shows and this is nowhere near as good as Curb in my opinion. Sure the show is based around a comedians misfortunes similar to Larry on Curb, but Louie has dramatic moments which Curb never has and the comedy is not even near as funny as the comedy in Curb.

What's up with all the Homeland nominations? No spoilers please.. I felt the previous season was pretty bad. Was this year a vast improvement?

It was sort of a reset. Best season outside of the first one.

There is not enough love for the scene in last week's episode of Mr.. Robot where two members of fsociety riffed on the movie, Hackers, while Eliot tried to quit morphine cold turkey.

I watched the Mr. Robot pilot. It's definitely one of the more interesting "modern hacking scheme" films/shows I have seen, so I will give it a few episodes to see where it goes.

I cannot get past how much the lead looks like a bug-eyed Carson Daly.

Also, this show balances between very Libertarian and bizarrely liberal.  I really hate being cognizant of both intended and unintended political messages in mediums of film.

The unintended ones are always more amusing to me.

I liked episode 1 but now it feels like it's getting a little far up its own ass.  Also, I get the feeling the Christian Slater character is some Tyler Durden shit and if I'm right abut that, that's fucking lame. 

I will give it this: it gets the technology aspect a little better than most have in the past, though some of the things they say are still technology word salad.  I loved them shiting on "Hackers" while the main episode had a GUI representation of data flowing to servers with the infected server flashing red as Elliott worked feverishly to redirect the flow of data to a different server like that shit isn't instantaneous.  Regardless of how much better this show does tech (a low bar, honestly), it still has to make concessions for a visual medium because real hacking, troubleshooting, coding, etc is boring as fuck.

EDIT: Always great to see Keith David, that smooth motherfucker, getting voiceover work.

I've been watching Louie on Hulu. I'm more than halfway through season 4.

I've read people compare this to Curb, but they're 2 different shows and this is nowhere near as good as Curb in my opinion. Sure the show is based around a comedians misfortunes similar to Larry on Curb, but Louie has dramatic moments which Curb never has and the comedy is not even near as funny as the comedy in Curb.

Louie is really hit or miss and you can't really compare it to Curb.  It's more of an experimental, artsy show for CK to do whatever he feels like doing.  If you're tuning in for a comedy, you'll be disappointed because there are fewer laughs as the show goes on.  The "The Woods" arc was especially head scratching, though Jeremy Renner was really good.  I'm glad that, as you're doing, I watched it via other means, as I can't imagine slogging through season 4 on a week to week basis.

I enjoy Louie's freeform casting, as CK has stated he just hires the best people for the role.  This includes Louie's African American wife and mother to his two Aryan kids and F. Murray Abraham showing up in various episodes as Louie's uncle, Louie's dad and a weird swinger completely unrelated.

I disagree with lacelle's assertion that Curb is a one man show.  Susie, Jeff, Funkhauser, Smooth, etc were all awesome on the show and I'm sure I'm forgetting some people.

This is better than anything they did in the first season:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aSs-2SzvSU&feature=youtu.be

Regarding Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell:

Am I wrong to want something really bad to happen to Mr. Norrell? His blatant disregard for people's suffering, his petty ego and desire to be revered as the only true magician in England. I was hoping that he would come around and try to make amends for his mistakes but he seems to be just as much of a villain as The Gentleman.

• Like 1

Hannah John-Kamen has risen to the Top 5 of JT's future ex-wife list.

I'm already dropped Killyjoys.  However, I'm still watching Rizzoli and Isles for the sole reason that I find Sasha Alexander mind-numbingly hot.  So I'm in no position to judge.

I don't even like Rizzoli and Isles. 

Killjoys on Syfy sure is dumb but it is also great.  Hannah John-Kamen has risen to the Top 5 of JT's future ex-wife list.

Defiance is half dumb and half great, so I'm not sure if Killjoys is doing better or not.

Killjoys does me the courtesy of not taking itself seriously so it has that going for it.  Lost Girl and Olympus are duking it out for the title of Worst Thing on Syfy.

The greatness of 12 Monkeys is carrying the entire network.

I'm hoping that The Expanse and Hunters will be good but I am not holding my breath.

BBC America is the hotbed of speculative fiction television that Syfy once was.

Killjoys does me the courtesy of not taking itself seriously so it has that going for it.  Lost Girl and Olympus are duking it out for the title of Worst Thing on Syfy.

I'm hoping that The Expanse and Hunters will be good but I am not holding my breath.

I guess it works out financially, but SyFy essentially just syndicating shows that air on Canada's Space Network makes for some awful tv.  Continuum is decent.  Most of the Canada imports have been fairly awful.

I don't think Defiance is dumb, exactly, but it really does seem like they were asked to simplify the show after the first season.  I thought the first season was easily SyFy's best show in awhile.  S2 was ok, but they made a lot of decisions that didn't work for me.  S3 is just there, imo.  They've jettisoned a lot of the character bits and the sociopolitical elements for a straight-up action show.  

Speaking of which, is Datak Tarr supposed to be dead?  I kept expecting some last minute plot twist to save him from a hanging.  That never came, but they didn't actually show the hanging being carried out, unless I missed something.

Yeah, Syfy is now the place where Space Network shows go to die.

I was pretty excited when I heard about Haven until I started watching and saw that it had nothing to do with The Colorado Kid.

I guess it works out financially, but SyFy essentially just syndicating shows that air on Canada's Space Network makes for some awful tv.  Continuum is decent.  Most of the Canada imports have been fairly awful.

I don't think Defiance is dumb, exactly, but it really does seem like they were asked to simplify the show after the first season.  I thought the first season was easily SyFy's best show in awhile.  S2 was ok, but they made a lot of decisions that didn't work for me.  S3 is just there, imo.  They've jettisoned a lot of the character bits and the sociopolitical elements for a straight-up action show.  

Speaking of which, is Datak Tarr supposed to be dead?  I kept expecting some last minute plot twist to save him from a hanging.  That never came, but they didn't actually show the hanging being carried out, unless I missed something.

S1 of Defiance was horribly mediocre. The ideas were there, but none of it was done particularly well or in depth from what I recall. I thought S2 was a decent improvement.