DVDVR Message Board

Rest in Peace to the legend, Dusty Rhodes

Damn it.

WWE is deeply saddened that Virgil Runnels, aka “The American Dream” Dusty Rhodes — WWE Hall of Famer, three-time NWA Champion and one of the most captivating and charismatic figures in sports entertainment history — passed away today at the age of 69.

Runnels became a hero to fans around the world thanks to his work ethic, his impassioned interviews and his indomitable spirit. Moreover, Runnels was a dedicated father to WWE Superstars Goldust (Dustin Runnels) and Stardust (Cody Runnels), a caring husband and a creative visionary who helped shape the landscape of WWE long after his in-ring career had ended.

WWE extends its sincerest condolences to Runnels’ family, friends and colleagues.

I've said it in other places, but The Dream was probably my favorite person to listen to talk ever. This is a sad, sad day, the world has lost a true legend.

I think I'm going to spend my day off watching Dusty cut promos.

RIP The American Dream.

Still makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.  Long live the American Dream!

We loved you too, Dusty.

This is probably my favorite wrestling promo of all time, it has given me chills every single time that I've watched it.  There are a lot of wrestlers who were better in the ring, some you may argue were better promos, but no one could connect with the crowd like "The American Dream" Dusty Rhodes.

Christopher Lee, Ornette Coleman, Dusty Rhodes. When they say "death comes in threes," they really aren't fucking around.

Nothing to say... I'm stunned, even though we probably should've seen it coming based on how haggard he'd looked on TV lately. RIP Big Dust.

• Like 7

Okay, the death that came in threes all happened on the same day to awesome people.  June 11th can eat a bag of dicks.

RIP to the noble son of an American plumber.

• Like 3

I caught a Mountain Goats show at a festival in Houston this past weekend, and they played the Hard Times promo over the speakers before they came on.  I think between my wife and I, we were just about able to shout along every word.  No one else knew what the fuck we were on about. 

But yeah, damn.  As a kid born in '81, I hated good guys.  I hated Hogan.  I threw my hat in with Ric Flair, Cobra Commander, Skeletor and Mum-Ra.  But goddamnit if I didn't love the shit out of some Dusty Rhodes. 

This sucks and has fucked my whole work day.

• Like 2

There were guys who did awesome promos, carried their charisma into the ring, and were able to have that connection with the fans.

Then... there was Dusty Rhodes. There will never be another one.

REST IN POWER, DREAM

• Like 1