DVDVR Message Board

Wrestlemania XXXI - The Greatest Show Ever

Big Fresh

Didn't watch any of the pregame crap.

IC ladder match: I'd be perfectly happy if I never saw another multi-man ladder match for the rest of my life. It's just completely played out.

Orton/Rollins: There was nothing wrong with this match from a technical standpoint. I just didn't care about it at all. The ending sequence was pretty good, though.

HHH/Sting: I had a bad feeling about this match when the babyfaces won first two matches. And sure enough, HHH got the pin. At least it was overbooked six ways from Sunday, which is the only way the match would have been watchable.

Divas tag: Ummm...the Bellas repeatedly knocking AJ off the apron was pretty cool.

Cena/Rusev: I remember people scoffing when I suggested that they were building Rusev up to feed to Cena at Mania. Well, who's laughing now? As for the match itself, it was OK, but the Fast Lane match was much better. Rusev's Rocky IV entrance was off the charts, though.

Oh boy, Rock/HHH at WM32! I'm slightly more excited for that than I am for a 2 Girls 1 Cup sequel.

Taker/Wyatt: Jesus, this was sad. It was like they were wrestling in a tar pit, they were moving so slow. Taker should never wrestle again. Neither should Bray.

Lesnar/Reigns: So they spend all that time building up Lesnar to have it culminate in a chickenshit MITB cash-in? Fucking bullshit. On the plus side, I loved the "this is awesome" chant when Lesnar was beating the hell out of Reigns. It's the only this is awesome chant I've ever liked.

I said a while back that Reigns chasing the Authority was my vision of wrestling hell. Adding Lesnar to the equation makes it somewhat more tolerable, but not much. I'm seriously on the verge of canceling my WWE Network subscription. Fuck this company.

Unfortunately, I've used up all my likes for the day, but goddamn I like a lot of this post. Even watching a guy I like in Rollins and have liked since his indy days, all I can really muster is to shrug my shoulders and say meh. None of it feels important or meaningful to me. 

I know almost zero about UFC and MMA. And I HAAAAAATE The Rock. But I liked this segment a lot, too.

Gregg hates the Rock. Out of everything to hate; the one thing I've enjoyed.  Yet, it all makes sense now.  This is beautiful.  I finally understand.  Mania brings everyone together.  Cheers, Gregg.
  • Like 1

My intense hatred of the gutless finish to the Main Event aside,

The show was really good top to bottom, save for Taker/Bray.  Nothing was bad, at all, save for the end.

HHH should have used the Terminator skulls in the match. And at the time the sledgehammer snapped, I thought "snapping a sledgehammer doesn't really do anything to it! it's just shorter!"

if anything, a shorter sledge is MORE effective. Like a sawed-off shotgun

It's funny how the crowd was dreading Reigns' coronation so much that it worked like the heat segment of a thousand tag matches of the past, with Rollins hot-tagging himself in to save the day.  Reigns' comeback and finisher spam looked so on-formula it used fan meta-knowledge against them/us.

And that ending helps all three guys.

• Like 5

This was one fun show. Can't believe that 50 year old Taker had that good of a match with Bray. Every match was at least good.

Good God was that main something else. Roman looked great and Brock was Brock.

• Like 1

Does it really help Reigns? He's still going to be resented unless you're just gonna put him in the midcard.

That match put him if not on Brock's level, than at least closer than before tonight.

If the argument going into WM was Reigns hadn't done enough to get to the level he was being pushed at, tonight helped kill that argument at least a little.

• Like 1

Does it really help Reigns? He's still going to be resented unless you're just gonna put him in the midcard.

He had an amazing match but came out of it not having anything to show for it.  In storyline he survived Brock Lesnar but didn't get the payoff.  That's character and sympathy building.  For the first time he's got a legitimate reason to be chasing someone other than "I want that and they're gonna give it to me."

• Like 2

I think that's more on people who are going to resent him than on his end, though. Dude had Brock friggin' Lesnar on the ropes until his scumbag ex-stablemate stole his chance at winning a WrestleMania main event. Every fan in the world should want Roman to kill him.

I'm totally fine if people cheer Rollins because they like heels. I do. But if people hate on Reigns just because... I'm not going to like that.

He had an amazing match but came out of it not having anything to show for it.  In storyline he survived Brock Lesnar but didn't get the payoff.  That's character and sympathy building.  For the first time he's got a legitimate reason to be chasing someone other than "I want that and they're gonna give it to me."

Yeah, none of that really matters, though. You'd think it would and it probably would if it were another era or WWE had a larger audience but they don't and he's still going to get the same reaction tomorrow as he did tonight.

Who cares if he is resented?  They'll just turn him heel and suddenly he's a top heel who is over.  He is turning into another Cena, where he is getting booed by fans who think they're doing right and doing their part by booing.  As long as the fans who are booing don't tune out and stop buying stuff, Reigns will be fine.

He had an amazing match but came out of it not having anything to show for it. In storyline he survived Brock Lesnar but didn't get the payoff. That's character and sympathy building. For the first time he's got a legitimate reason to be chasing someone other than "I want that and they're gonna give it to me."

Yeah, none of that really matters, though. You'd think it would and it probably would if it were another era or WWE had a larger audience but they don't and he's still going to get the same reaction tomorrow as he did tonight.

His reception tonight got a lot better as the match went on though...