DVDVR Message Board

Wrestlemania XXXI - The Greatest Show Ever

Big Fresh

Overall the show was a mixed bag for me.

I think Lesnar looked awesome in the main event, and him destroying Reigns for 90% of it made the match for me.  Rollins winning IMHO was the second best case scenario, the first being Lesnar winning.  We all talk about a Rollins cash in, I think deep down though none of us really believed Rollins would actually do it.  Rollins cashing in makes up for his loss to Orton earlier, and gives him a ready made opponent to feud with on PPV for the spring/summer potentially.

There is no way Reigns should've won.  We've all been hammering for months that he's not ready.  This will be better for him in the long run.  Diesel was champion, but he was infamous for having one of the worst title runs in WWE history.  Reigns needed more seasoning before transitioning into a main event spot.  Getting a beating by Brock Lesnar will hopefully improve his standing with the fans as things go.  He also needs someone else to write his promos for him.  Just watch his Snickers commercial.  It exemplifies how horrendous and premature this main event run was for him.  When Batista was in his position in 2005, people wanted to see Batista take the title.  Now Reigns has legit heat with a legit top heel and we can see where that goes.

Wyatt/Undertaker sucked.  Undertaker is one of the best ever, but he has looked like absolute garbage the last few WrestleManias.  He just does not look good out there.  How did this match help Bray Wyatt at all?  This match totally stunk up the joint and only made Wyatt look like more of a JTTS.  

Props to HHH for carrying Sting to a somewhat decent match.  Considering Sting's age and how limited he is in the ring at this point, the match was OK and everyone did their part.  I thought the finish was trash, and the NWO coming out to help Sting was stupid as shit.   But the NWO/Kliq dudes were available that weekend, so whatcha gonna do?

The ladder match is already way overrated.  Some good spots, but that's it.  There was very little drama until the end.  There were way too many guys.  I would've rather have just seen it be just Ziggler, Barrett and Bryan or just Barrett vs. Bryan.  The ladder match was pointless.  The ladder gimmick means nothing at this point.  This match was done solely to do some big spots to get the card started and because they didn't have meaningful feuds for all these midcard guys.  IMHO that exemplifies how badly most of the guys in this match were booked beforehand.  They were all just shoved into this match because they needed something to do at Mania.

Cena vs. Rusev was actually one of the better matches of the night.  Except that Cena won.  Cena winning does nothing to elevate the US title.  Cena doesn't need a midcard title at this point.  The problem with this scenario is that it does nothing for either guy.  Who ever defeated Rusev, it could've been huge for that guy.  It could've really given someone the rub.  Now after building up Rusev this last year, you've wasted that rub on a guy who doesn't need it.  That aside, I thought both guys worked a strong match.  I think Rusev is incredibly underrated, and he is super athletic for his size.  His sort of style, mixing athletic moves with his power moves reminds me of classic Samoa Joe.  Cena did some good work too in this match.  I am just disappointed and pissed he won.  Because now it seems like Lana and Rusev might break up.  IMHO such a waste because Rusev and Lana have been one of the more consistent acts in the company in the last year.  I just think there is no justification for Cena winning this match other than giving the kiddies something to be happy about because a heel went home with the world title in the main event.

Rollins/Orton was a fun midcard match.  Rollins style is outstanding.  The way he mixes his athleticism with his character is incredible, and the way he's evolved as a performer from his days as a fairly bland face in his ROH days is truly remarkable.  I truly believe he is like a more refined version of Brian Pillman and Shawn Michaels put together.  I was upset Rollins loss, but the finishing sequence with Orton nailing the RKO as a counter to the curb stomp was great.  Of course Rollins cashing in later made up for the loss though, so I'm fine with it.

The show dragged a lot.  I love Rousey and don't mind the Rock, but it felt like that segment was done just to try and burn daylight.  It went on for fucking ever.  Sting's one of my all time favorites, but why the fuck did he have taiko drummers for his entrance?  Made no sense.  If they had some violinists doing the Crow Sting theme from his WCW days like the WWE 2K commercial, that would've been OK.  Who thought...Sting is making his long-awaited WrestleMania debut.  You know what I think of when I see Sting?  TAIKO DRUMMERS!

The music interlude was lame.  It was not fair the tag match got relegated to the pre-show with all the filler garbage that was on this show.

In terms of overall entertainment and match quality, I found 30 to be superior.  This was Ok, but 30 was a much better paced show.  

Maybe the best 'Mania ever and one of the great North American cards of all-time. Rollins/Orton, Ladder, Main event and Sting/Hunter easily over 4 1/2 stars. Rusev/Cena, Bray/Taker over 3 and the Divas tag also being one of the better women's matches since probably Mickie/Trish,  

Main event was the only thing close to 4 1/2. I maybe could see going 4 for Cena/Rusev, but nothing else was even close. It was a fun show that exceeded expectations largely due to Rusev and Brock being incredible.

• Like 1

Nikki hands down has the best walk to the ring, Natalie looked great tonight (been digging the new gear since Fast Lane), and Rusev's Rocky IV entrance made him a babyface (somewhat) in The Bay Area.

I can't be the only one bummed about WWE not playing Sting's "Crow" theme music? If the entire feud (from HHH's prespective and what the commentators decided to latch onto) was about The MNW and Sting being 'the last guy to hold out' and all that other b.s.- the "Crow" theme would have been awesome.

Someone mentioned 'Thriller' earlier and I thought about how cool it would been if LA Parka does the same thing in Mexico, but decides to break out into the Thriller dance half-way up the aisle.

Glad to hear Nash was just selling. The two 'ah fuck!' moments came with Hogan took a back bump and when Nash fell and IMMEDIATELY grabbed his leg.

I honestly can't believe some people are down on this show.

It was a really good show. The main event was fucking insane. I was actually fully behind Reigns taking the title. I bought in. He impressed the hell out of me here. Brock was Brock. The best wrestler alive. Holy shit at that clothesline. I thought he killed Roman. No issue with Seth winning. It makes perfect sense and he's the man.

All of the entrances were really cool. Man, Rusev's entrance might be my favorite ever. So awesome. 

With that said the show did have some problems. The Sting/HHH match was messy and it wasn't Sting's fault. He was in good shape. I really don't ever want to see that match again.

While Rusev/Cena delivered, what's the point of Cena going over here. Because America? Who cares? The crowd doesn't even give a shit about Born in the USA Cena. They want new stars and having Rusev lose here didn't further his progression at all.

Overall it was a super fun show.  Is that the best Ronda has ever looked? I've never viewed her as this super sexy MMA chick but she looked damn good tonight.

I honestly can't believe some people are down on this show.

While Rusev/Cena delivered, what's the point of Cena going over here. Because America? Who cares? The crowd doesn't even give a shit about Born in the USA Cena. They want new stars and having Rusev lose here didn't further his progression at all.

Because the kids who love Cena got to see their hero triumph over the evil Russian. His win wasn't for nerds like us, but for kids who wear those shirts and hats.

Nikki hands down has the best walk to the ring, Natalie looked great tonight (been digging the new gear since Fast Lane), and Rusev's Rocky IV entrance made him a babyface (somewhat) in The Bay Area.

While using cips of Dubya and Reagan cemented Cena as the heel :)

• Like 4

I really can't wait to hear the backstage story on HHH going over Sting.

I mean, I think we all know what the story is there, but how on earth did they pitch that to Sting to get him to go along with it?

• Like 1

Stardust as classic Mr. Sinister was fucking aces.

HHH as Conan the Terminator was a bit of a laugher.

Rusev's actual theme starting up when he got down to Lana is the only blemish on a great fucking entrance.

Roman and Brock stiffing the ever-loving SHIT out of each other was fucking king-sized and the main was off-the-charts before the cash-in.

I mean, I think we all know what the story is there, but how on earth did they pitch that to Sting to get him to go along with it?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

• Like 3

Show was fine enough for the most part, but the "all-time best" people have lost their fucking mind.

Also, I know we're in the DVDVR bubble, where most of you are into MMA, but that Ronda Rousey segment was a throwaway Raw segment that had no fucking business on a Mania.

Obviously Sting should have gone over, everything else was fine.

• Like 8

It was better as the "I'm only not ripping your arm out and beating you over the head with it because I don't want to."

But now I want Ronda Rousey: BAMF WWE Diva more than I realized i did.

Nah, fuck that. If one gets the opportunity to rip Stephanie McMahon's arm out and beat her with it, you take it. 

• Like 1

Sting is probably buying a sweet vacation home as I type this.  Courtesy of WWE, Vince, and Trips.

Come to think of it, Sting/HHH should have devolved into something along the lines of the news team fight in Anchorman.

"The Monday Night Wars?? Did you forget about the AWA and Greg Gagne and Jim Brunzell?!?"

In this case the Zombie Army would have been World Class.

I know, too soon.

• Like 1

Come to think of it, Sting/HHH should have devolved into something along the lines of the news team fight in Anchorman.

"The Monday Night Wars?? Did you forget about the AWA and Greg Gagne and Jim Brunzell?!?"

Lawler leaving the commentary booth mid-sentence to rep Memphis.

• Like 1

Show was fine enough for the most part, but the "all-time best" people have lost their fucking mind.

Also, I know we're in the DVDVR bubble, where most of you are into MMA, but that Ronda Rousey segment was a throwaway Raw segment that had no fucking business on a Mania.

Obviously Sting should have gone over, everything else was fine.

Except that segment got WWE covered on ESPN because Ronda Rousey is a big fucking deal.

• Like 3

I'm honestly kinda baffled at how glowing everyone is about the show.  I thought it was pretty solid, but largely forgettable.  About 100 steps behind last year.  Just tells me that the expectations were rock bottom.

• Like 8