DVDVR Message Board

Wrestlemania XXXI - The Greatest Show Ever

Big Fresh

So I know it's forgotten since the match was meaningless, but that curbstomp into an RKO looked like something Tsui Hark booked.  Beautiful, like actually gracefully beautiful.

That move felt like something I would have watched in a fisheye-lensed Big Brother skateboard video circa '98, with something like Fugazi or Suicidal Tendencies on the soundtrack.

Rusev vs. Cena was great. I loved the energy and Rusev looked good despite the loss. Only wish Cena got maybe a little more offense though I love the springboard stunner if only for the out of nowhere ridiculousness of it.

Not enough has been said about the rebound stunner. Where the hell did THAT come from?

I'm going to go ahead and credit Nikki Bella.

• Like 4

so, Reigns turns heel when Rollins replaces J&J Security with R&R Security (a one man security force of Roman Reigns)

What? Why?
well presumably Rollins will want to upgrade his security now that Brock Lesnar is gonna eventually murder him.

Why would Roman want to work for the guy who just screwed him out of the title?

for all we know, Reigns could just blame the fans for him not winning that title.

Or they were incahoots the whole time

Also, with what is know about the Undertaker's physical condition, what he did out there is a fucking miracle. Nothing but respect for that dude.

What is known about Taker's condition? He looked perfectly normal for a 50+ year old professional wrestler.

Heyman's technically been booked as sort of a tweener in the past, right?  I wonder if pairing him with Roman while Brock heads back to his farm for the next four months would do the trick to break Reigns through with the super smarks.

In their Grantland podcast, Heyman mentioned how he's worked exclusively with Lesnar for several years.  Something's up in the Lesnar/Heyman/Reigns saga.  Just gotta wait until the cards are played.

Thought the show was great and the end was booked perfectly.  I'll give Vince and company all the credit in the world.  Two WMs in a row that looked like shit going in and ended up blowing my expectations away. 

I just hope we now get a lot more weasely heel Seth and less "comedy" heel Seth.  Hoping Seth now fires J&J and gets an actual badass to watch his back now (that isn't Big Show or Kane.)

so, Reigns turns heel when Rollins replaces J&J Security with R&R Security (a one man security force of Roman Reigns)

What? Why?
well presumably Rollins will want to upgrade his security now that Brock Lesnar is gonna eventually murder him.
Why would Roman want to work for the guy who just screwed him out of the title?

for all we know, Reigns could just blame the fans for him not winning that title.

Or they were incahoots the whole time

Russo? Is that you?

So I've been trying to digest that ending. I was really enjoying Brock absolutley demolishing Reigns and Reigns being too cocky to stay down. I could have lived with Brock losing after he beat Reigns. But damn it I really wanted to see Brock win that match.

I'm more distraught that Rusev lost. God that entrance was amazing. Lana even bumped. CENA DIDN'T NEED THE DAMN WIN.

• Like 1

Boy did I have a different opinion of this show than you guys.

See if you can follow the story thread in this:

1. Two heels come out and build up some (cheap) heat.
  2. Special attraction comes out to interrupt.
  3. Special attraction wastes an ungodly amount of time.
  4. Heel slaps special attraction.
  5. Special attraction wastes another ungodly period of time teasing a retaliation.
  6. Special attraction introduces section special attraction that can fight back.
  7. Heel begs off.
  8. More ungodly time wasting.
  9. Heel slaps second special attraction.
  10. Second special attraction tugs on heel's arm for ten seconds.
  11. Heel runs off having never been slapped back.

Also, with what is know about the Undertaker's physical condition, what he did out there is a fucking miracle. Nothing but respect for that dude.

What is known about Taker's condition? He looked perfectly normal for a 50+ year old professional wrestler.

having actual hair instead of looking like an older Chuck Liddell does wonders for the Undertaker. He kinda looked like a mid-2000s Undertaker

Undertaker looked in better physical shape than he has in several years.

But then the match started, and it was clear he doesn't have anything left in the tank. He's one step up from being Sting in the ring at this point. The match with Bray was...fine. But I can't see myself getting excited for any future matches from him. And a Taker/Sting match would be ghastly based on what I saw from both guys tonight.

Sting/HHH was basically a rehash of every Sting/Jarrett match in TNA until all the run-ins started.

Wait, okay...so I just realized that does describe every Sting/Jarrett match in TNA.

This was a good mania. I say this as a big wwe fan, but I felt like this was sort of a microcosm for the company as a whole right now; absolutely great work in almost every match but the wrong person went over almost exclusively. I don't want to sound negative because like others have said it was a fun night, but there were some odd choices thrown in there.

Flair chopping Steamboat was awesome. I think it's sort of awesome to make the IC belt the internet fan belt because if Bryan is strong with it and gets 15 minutes a week with Ziggler and the like it essentially gets the smarks off their back.

As others have said, if you hated this show, you either need to stop watching rassling or you need to start drinking beer or something.

Well, I guess just scuttlebutt, but a lot of reports about how shot his knees are, plus the videos he and his wife have done where he looked significantly older than he did tonight. I think a lot of us expect him to show up like '88 Andre or like Giant Baba near the end at these matches. He looked great. 

Sting/HHH was perfectly acceptable for fans who were really into wrestling 15-20 years ago and got out of it but still watch WrestleMania every year. They got to see some great wrestling camp entrances, have some nostalgia pops, and could care less as to who actually won the match.

I just started the main event again and man does it start off right. Brock carries Roman around the ring like a baby for a few seconds and then slams him in the corner harder than I've ever seen someone go in the corner. when it happened live, it immediately snapped me out of my "This is gonna be the worst match ever" mood.

• Like 1

So, where do they go with the Authority? Sting lost. Reigns vs HHH?

Now would be a good time for the Authority to take a long rest. They're really not needed as on-screen characters. What Seth Rollins being champion means that Rollins still isn't the focal point and is still just an Authority lackey in the HHH/Stephanie show. 

Seriously, fuck that finish.  For any other show, it was fine.  For a fucking WrestleMania with 3 months build and everyone was bringing it, FUCK IT.

Nah, you can get fucked.  For all your strawman arguments over the last few weeks about how fans of other wrestlers bitch just because their favorites didn't win, here you are shitting all over a finish that was decidedly more over than Roman in the ring with confetti would have been.  Stop throwing your toys out of the pram.

• Like 3

I really wouldn't mind Paul Heyman sliding his way into becoming Seth's advocate.

Also would make sense for Heyman to take up with Roman. They've said repeatedly their beef wasn't with each other, and Heyman put Reigns up against anyone and said he'd love to have him as a client if Brock wasn't around. Maybe that happens now and you build to a three-way at SummerSlam? Just a thought.

So I know it's forgotten since the match was meaningless, but that curbstomp into an RKO looked like something Tsui Hark booked. Beautiful, like actually gracefully beautiful.

I'm stealing a point Dolfan said: That it was clear that Orton's little exault after hitting it was knowing it was about as perfect as a spot that complicated could have been executed and celebrating, bordering on a fucking markout. Credit to both of them on that one.

I mean, they both made that look so ridiculously easy that you have to rewatch to realize how complicated it is.

• Like 1