DVDVR Message Board

WWE NETWORK GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Been watching a lot of the Legends of Wrestling roundtables this weekend. They really need to squeeze some more of those out of Mean Gene before he dies. He's such a good host and he's really good at steering the conversations without talking over the guests.

• Like 2

Watched No Mercy 2002 again, mainly for Taker vs Brock - HIAC part 1.

WOW, way better than I remembered. Probably had a lot to do with the fact that everyone, even Heyman bladed. I miss Paul Heyman's old bald head ponytail combo. But it's good to see a young rookie Lesnar looking almost exactly the same, and Taker back in his prime killing it. The Cell ceiling was definitely way too low back in the day though, if no one is going through the roof anymore it's definitely better to make it a bit taller so guys aren't hanging from the ceiling and bumping their head if they try a dive off the top rope. And goddamn that juicer that Taker hits on himself was ridiculous, a full 1.0 Muta. You can see the first shot they show of him after getting the steps to the face and he's just COVERED immediately, and the rest of the match he's dripping blood everywhere like a faucet. It's kind of a product of the times, the matches at that time were so much better and more violent than what we are getting today so it's kind of a shock to see an old school bloodbath like that. I'm hoping they get special permission or something to blade again at this year's match just to try and match this kind of spectacle, knowing Brock he will just headbutt the post until he hardway's himself or something though. Even if they do blade there's probably no way they can top this match when both guys were in their primes and the business was so hot.

I hope the upcoming match inspires everyone to watch this. Easily a top 10 WWE MOTD, probabaly my second favorite HIAC behind Taker/Foley. The most amazing part is that Brock was only in WWE for like 6 months at this point.

I mean, with two years of OVW but yeah.

Definitely my pick for best Cell match ever. The blood and violence are out of this world.

• Like 1

New Legends Roundtables seem like such a no brainer for the Network. I mean, I'd have to imagine they cost next to nothing to produce.

Yep. It's just 4 or 5 guys who either already work for the company or are signed to Legends deals sitting around a table shooting the shit on a topic for an hour. You can get an abundance of low cost content out of that.

The newest Table 3 has the odd combination of R Truth, the Miz, and Curtis Axel.   Pretty funny show with some really funny stuff:

1.  If you loved MizDad then you will love him even more after watching this.   This guy has way more carny in him than most people expected.  

2.  Bird shit is good for a woman's face

3.  R Truth pulling a Cromartie and forgetting how many kids he has

3.  If Axel's kid ever get into wrestling they have to create a 6 man title just for them.  I mean how can you lose when their names are Brock, Blade, and Hoss  

The WCW table for 3 seemed a little sterile to me. Like, Sting/DDP works, Sting/Vader of course works, but DDP/Vader was odd and out of place. But since they taped it before WM, maybe they still didn't trust Flair not to go off the rails.

Having said that, though, it was still really good, and the concept itself is great.

Just watched this ep and honestly it just felt like how it does when a bunch of middle aged men sit around to talk about the old days. I dug it.

Thoughts on In Your House 4

"Makin' a Difference" Fatu wasn't a great gimmick, but it worked as a sort of transition into the Rikishi character. Hunter Hearst Helmsley continued his undefeated run, which wouldn't last much longer.

Marty Jannetty was a great first opponent for Goldust on paper, but not in practice. His timing seemed to be way off. Still, he was a credible name to give Goldust an impressive debut victory.

This show was hurt by the loss of Undertaker (vs. Mabel) and Shawn Michaels (vs. Dean Douglas). Instead, we got a Yoko-Mabel match that ended in a double countout and a giant hug.

We also saw Douglas get handed the belt by Michaels, only to drop it immediately to Razor Ramon. That really undercut Douglas' credibility, just as it did 15 years later when it happened to Dolph Ziggler.

Davey Boy Smith looked great again in his heel role, and since he actually beat Diesel by DQ, he earned another PPV title shot two months later. Although, taking a cheap shot at his brother-in-law during the biggest match of his life wasn't the smartest idea. What did he think Bret would do? Nothing?

Speaking of Bret, it seemed crazy for him not to wrestle on PPV in Winnipeg, but he did beat Isaac Yankem in a dark match. The fans also got to see him kick Jerry Lawler out the booth. Bret made a good point on commentary, saying that he wasn't looking forward to the family drama that would happen again if he faced Davey Boy for the title.

Razor Ramon gets the MVP award for wrestling in two title matches in the same night to compensate for the lack of star power. I like how he held up four fingers after winning the IC belt as if to say, "Can you believe they gave me this thing four times instead of giving me the WWF title once?"

Anyone else having the HiaC feed skip backward constantly like Benjamen Button?

It's actually not bad as I can keep going back to a time before

ALBERTO FUCKING DEL RIO WAS GOING TO BE FEUDING WITH SHEAMUS ON MY FUCKING TV EVERY FUCKING WEEK No. No NOOOOO GOD NO.. NO NOOOOOOOO OH GOD NO PLEASE NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

fuck this company

Has anyone else had issues with the Flair/Steamboat Rivalries episode not working?

I get maybe the first minute of it, and then it'll jump back before skipping to the end.

Weird. GRanted, I haven't tried it on another app besides the PS4 one.

Watching through '97 and the Legion of Doom are so painfully out-of-place and dated in WWF, particularly that terribly '80s cartoonish look that they have. It's funny because when they were in WCW in '95-'96 for a cup of coffee, even then they fit in just fine. The changes in how Nitro and RAW were presented in just over twelve months are incredible if you look at it through the lens of the Road Warriors, who so quickly and suddenly look old and goofy instead of like badasses.