DVDVR Message Board

WWE NETWORK GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

The Sting/Page/Vader Table for 3 was pretty good. I wish Vader talked a little more about transitioning to the WWF in 96 but the whole theme was "WCW Legends" so I guess I get why they didn't. For some reason, and I'm not saying it was "scripted more" or anything, but this one just seemed a little more rigid, like DDP was kinda driving the conversation to certain places at times. I still enjoyed the hell out of it, just a little thing I noticed. I love love loved Sting & Vader's impressions of Harley. And I won't spoil it, but there's a funny moment when Sting is asked what his favorite WCW memory is.

Indeed it is. I almost think it's like the spiritual successor to Legends Roundtable, in a way.

On an unrelated note, if anyone here has not yet watched the Flair/Steamboat Rivalries episode, I implore you to do so. This might be a weird comparison, but it brought me back to being a kid and watching the 70s Steelers teams on NFL Films with my old man.

They put up new Rivalries episodes? Awesome.

Yeah, the Trish/Lita one was good and the Flair/Steamboat one was fucking incredible.  So well done. 

I just watched Table for 3..  Loved Vader and Sting talking about stiffing each other.  DDP too.  Vader's story about Race was cool too.  Smoking cigs, drinkin beers and breaking people down with his bare fingers. Vader came off as the nicest guy lol

They put up new Rivalries episodes? Awesome.

Yeah, the Trish/Lita one was good and the Flair/Steamboat one was fucking incredible.  So well done. 

I just watched Table for 3..  Loved Vader and Sting talking about stiffing each other.  DDP too.  Vader's story about Race was cool too.  Smoking cigs, drinkin beers and breaking people down with his bare fingers. Vader came off as the nicest guy lol

After seeing this, I want one with Sting/Foley/Vader where they just talk for half an hour about Vader killing them both.

• Like 1

I think Bischoff is my favorite bullshitter in pro wrestling. He's such a slick talker, but quite fun to listen to.

Also, man, I'd love to see Ken Shamrock fight Meng in a random parking lot in 1998. I'm sort of sorry JBL mentioned that. Now my life feels incomplete.

Right? I didn't know I wanted it until he brought it up.

Being greedy, give me Meng, Finlay and a Stiener* on one side and Shamrock and the Acolytes on the other.

*Honorable mention: Regal, Rude, Barbarian, the other Stiener, etc. Fuck it, Pee Wee Anderson could be the third guy and it would still be a fair fight.

You don't want JBL. Remember that he was KO'd by Joey Styles.

The WCW table for 3 seemed a little sterile to me. Like, Sting/DDP works, Sting/Vader of course works, but DDP/Vader was odd and out of place. But since they taped it before WM, maybe they still didn't trust Flair not to go off the rails.

Having said that, though, it was still really good, and the concept itself is great.

I find it odd that everyone calls Vader 'Leon'. He's like the only guy in Wrestling where other Wrestlers call him by his real name.

Watched No Mercy 2002 again, mainly for Taker vs Brock - HIAC part 1.

WOW, way better than I remembered.  Probably had a lot to do with the fact that everyone, even Heyman bladed.  I miss Paul Heyman's old bald head ponytail combo.  But it's good to see a young rookie Lesnar looking almost exactly the same, and Taker back in his prime killing it.  The Cell ceiling was definitely way too low back in the day though, if no one is going through the roof anymore it's definitely better to make it a bit taller so guys aren't hanging from the ceiling and bumping their head if they try a dive off the top rope.  And goddamn that juicer that Taker hits on himself was ridiculous, a full 1.0 Muta.  You can see the first shot they show of him after getting the steps to the face and he's just COVERED immediately, and the rest of the match he's dripping blood everywhere like a faucet.  It's kind of a product of the times, the matches at that time were so much better and more violent than what we are getting today so it's kind of a shock to see an old school bloodbath like that.  I'm hoping they get special permission or something to blade again at this year's match just to try and match this kind of spectacle, knowing Brock he will just headbutt the post until he hardway's himself or something though.  Even if they do blade there's probably no way they can top this match when both guys were in their primes and the business was so hot. 

• Like 1

Watched No Mercy 2002 again, mainly for Taker vs Brock - HIAC part 1.

WOW, way better than I remembered.  Probably had a lot to do with the fact that everyone, even Heyman bladed.  I miss Paul Heyman's old bald head ponytail combo.  But it's good to see a young rookie Lesnar looking almost exactly the same, and Taker back in his prime killing it.  The Cell ceiling was definitely way too low back in the day though, if no one is going through the roof anymore it's definitely better to make it a bit taller so guys aren't hanging from the ceiling and bumping their head if they try a dive off the top rope.  And goddamn that juicer that Taker hits on himself was ridiculous, a full 1.0 Muta.  You can see the first shot they show of him after getting the steps to the face and he's just COVERED immediately, and the rest of the match he's dripping blood everywhere like a faucet.  It's kind of a product of the times, the matches at that time were so much better and more violent than what we are getting today so it's kind of a shock to see an old school bloodbath like that.  I'm hoping they get special permission or something to blade again at this year's match just to try and match this kind of spectacle, knowing Brock he will just headbutt the post until he hardway's himself or something though.  Even if they do blade there's probably no way they can top this match when both guys were in their primes and the business was so hot. 

I hope the upcoming match inspires everyone to watch this. Easily a top 10 WWE MOTD, probabaly my second favorite HIAC behind Taker/Foley. The most amazing part is that Brock was only in WWE for like 6 months at this point.

• Like 1