DVDVR Message Board

WWE NETWORK GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Re-watched the 92 Royal Rumble match last night while I was on the treadmill. One forgets how fucking amazing Flair was back in the day. While it does get harder and harder to separate drunk old man Flair from "The Man" these days it's still possible. My god the guy could go. My new very favorite section of the RR is Flair and Greg Valentine tied up in a corner and trying to stay out of everyone's way for what seems like five minutes. What do they do to occupy their time together? What any good Mid-Atlantic alums would do, chop and forearm the ever loving shit out of each other. Even when they aren't on camera you can hear them Wahooing each other like chops are about to be out of fashion. WRASSLIN'!

• Like 1

I was pleasantly surprised that JBL stepped away from WWE's usual anti-WCW stories and was far more fair in questions to Bischoff, deferring to him on a number of points.  Bischoff was also a great guest and they had some great back and forth, especially about the AOL Time Warner merger.  I can't wait for part two on Thursday.

• Like 1

Add me to the list of people that enjoyed that JBL interview. Nice to see a lot of new questions, not a lot of the standard ones that have been asked over the years.

On the flip side - am I the only one that kind of senses that Eric is tired of talking about the rise and fall of WCW over and over? Considering the source of his footage from the Monday Night Wars were clips from 2002-2005, seeing him today it looks almost like he's ready to stop talking about it.

I really enjoyed the JBL shoot with Bischoff, and am really looking forward to Part 2.

Was pretty awesome seeing a WWE employee on a WWE-endorsed broadcast basically saying "Vince raided the territories and put the AWA out of business" and bringing up the hypocrisy of Bischoff being accused of the same thing.

Programs like this and Table For 3 are really the moments where I think "THIS is the potential that the WWE Network has." Sure, there could definitely be more archival footage added to on-demand, but programs like these will keep me coming back on a monthly basis in the absence of that way more than stuff like Countdown and Swerved.

• Like 1

I noticed that Eric really seemed to enjoy talking about the more business related stuff, like his relationship with Turner execs, the merger, etc than anything wrestling related. That's always the stuff I've wanted to hear him talk about, because it never gets discussed.  I also love that WWE is finally giving him a platform to debunk much of their false narrative about the "war".

• Like 1

Man, if there was one night in wwe history I wish they had just rolled cameras backstage all night, Bischoff's first night would be high on my list.

Isn't the story that most of the guys didn't know he was backstage and Booker T's, "tell me I didn't just see that" was a legit ad lib? Like Booker had no clue Bischoff was working for them. That's what I've heard anyway.

There is a new Table for 3 called Diva Legends which has Medusa, Ivory, and Molly Holly. It was pretty much what you expect given their personality. Medusa being basically the original ODB, Ivory being the crazy Real Housewives kind of woman, and Molly being the woman who just was too good a person for WWE all quiet and classy

Ivory told a funny story and knowing that camera wasnt on her so she was hitting on the guys in front row. Not as good as New Day but good

I think Bischoff is my favorite bullshitter in pro wrestling. He's such a slick talker, but quite fun to listen to. 

Also, man, I'd love to see Ken Shamrock fight Meng in a random parking lot in 1998. I'm sort of sorry JBL mentioned that. Now my life feels incomplete. 

• Like 1

I think Bischoff is my favorite bullshitter in pro wrestling. He's such a slick talker, but quite fun to listen to. 

oh man, i completely agree. this is a guy that i LOATHE as a pro wrestling promo. i don't want to see him walk down to the ring. i don't want to see him host nWo Night Cap. i don't even want to see him as Raw GM.

but he's a decent Nitro commentator.

he seems pretty damn good as a WCW executive producer/vice president/etc.

but i'll be damned if i am not completely a Bischoff fan. i listened to his Kayfabe Commentaries 1994 shoot interviewa week or two back. it was great. this JBL two-part interview was awesome. Bischoff's book was fantastic. i am completely down with whatever this dude is selling and i'm ready to buy.

I watched the "Wrestlemania Legends" episode of Table for 3, and was shocked/saddened that Orndorff seems to have lost all strength in his right arm. 

He should be an annual guest speaker at NXT, giving a lecture on not working through major injuries

I'm watching Survivor Series 1996 and good lord is Yoko fucking grotesque. I mean he's entering "circus fat man/Homer trying to get on disability for being fat/washing yourself with a rag on a stick" territory. I'm honestly shocked he got cleared to wrestle at the event. He looked like he was about to keel over when he was on the apron.

I'm watching Survivor Series 1996 and good lord is Yoko fucking grotesque. I mean he's entering "circus fat man/Homer trying to get on disability for being fat/washing yourself with a rag on a stick" territory. I'm honestly shocked he got cleared to wrestle at the event. He looked like he was about to keel over when he was on the apron.

Now think about how much worse he was at Heroes of Wrestling in 1999.

Also, man, I'd love to see Ken Shamrock fight Meng in a random parking lot in 1998. I'm sort of sorry JBL mentioned that. Now my life feels incomplete.

Right? I didn't know I wanted it until he brought it up.

Being greedy, give me Meng, Finlay and a Stiener* on one side and Shamrock and the Acolytes on the other.

*Honorable mention: Regal, Rude, Barbarian, the other Stiener, etc. Fuck it, Pee Wee Anderson could be the third guy and it would still be a fair fight.

Right? I didn't know I wanted it until he brought it up.

Being greedy, give me Meng, Finlay and a Stiener* on one side and Shamrock and the Acolytes on the other.

*Honorable mention: Regal, Rude, Barbarian, the other Stiener, etc. Fuck it,  Mark Curtis could be the third guy and WCW would then be unbeatable

FIFY

So the NXT Panel discussion was great. I especially loved all the Dusty talk and laughed at Rollins copping to being a shitty promo. In general I was shocked at how natural and awesome Rollins came off actually. I consider him one of the worst promos to get regular time but when he's just being him he seems really cool. Probably came off best of anyone on the panel.

HHH taking forever to explain why he hires guys with zero experience was hilarious. If he'd just said it once it'd have been fine but he seemed to go on forever and using Corbin as an example sure didn't help.

But yeah. Fun stuff and super interesting. Table for 3 and the Legends interview with JBL have also been great. Count me in for loving WWE's newfound love of wrestlers just talking.